Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
This wiki covers basic info and common FAQs. For full terms and conditions, see the relevant DL web page: Same Day Travel Changes

Same-Day Confirmed

To request an SDC, you can
  • Use the Same Day Change function on the Today screen in the Delta app (recommended, but with some peculiarities -- may not show all routings, and if changing to an earlier or later flight will only show the option within 24 hours of the target flight)
  • Click the "Change" button during OLCI (after you click "Check in" on the first screen)
  • Call a phone agent (recommended if app does not work)
  • Use Delta's chat functions via the app (hit or miss)

Online SDC does not seem to present all the options available to you, especially when you are SDCing a GAP fare and there is no inventory in your fare bucket. Calling in is best. People have had success with Twitter but that may depend on how "involved" the SDC is.

You can SDC starting 24 hours before your initial departure. You can SDC to any flight leaving the same calendar day. There is a $75 fee for SDC ($50 for tickets issued before March 15th, 2017), waived for GM and higher. This fee, and the waiver, applies for each person, although for GM+ traveling with companion the companion fee is sometimes waived.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (main cabin)?

A. Yes (whether revenue or award ticket). Note there is sometimes inventory in a fare bucket even though it may not be offered for sale on the web site. SDC on V or N (low award) fare is not unheard of.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (Comfort+)?

If booked into W (not WU) there only needs to be an available seat in Comfort+ regardless of fare class.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (First/Business/DeltaOne)?

Q. What about SDC with RUC/GUC/mileage upgrades (that have already cleared)?

As of November 2017:

* If your original ticket is a Delta OneTM ticket, you may move to any other flight with a premium cabin seat available
* If your original ticket is a First Class ticket, you may move only to other flights with a First Class seat available; you may not move to a flight with a Delta One experience, even if seats are available.
It is unclear how this affects SDC if you are confirmed in RY/OY.

Q. I have a premium cabin fare, can I SDC to an itinerary with a single-cabin aircraft?

Written reply received from Delta, Dec. 2015:

f the aircraft does not support a First/Business/Delta One cabin you are still eligible to change to the flight as long we are still selling seats on the flight.

Q. What about Medallion complimentary upgrades?

A. These do *not* count as premium cabin fares even if you already cleared. The main cabin rules for SDC regarding fare inventory will apply, and if it goes through you will SDC into a main cabin seat (but you are eligible to be upgraded again -- make sure you appear on the upgrade list on your new itinerary)

Q. Can I change the routing/connections?

A. You cannot SDC from a connecting itinerary to a non-stop itinerary. In all other cases the answer is unclear. The SDC rules do not explicitly prohibit routing changes. However ticket fare rules usually contain a clause that additions/changes to connections must be permitted by the fare rules. These are apparently in conflict, and practically speaking it depends on the agent/supervisor you speak with. Some refuse, some allow anything reasonable.

Q. Can I change the origin/destination?

A. Technically no, but there is an unwritten rule that DMs can make co-terminal changes. (There are some unintuitive gaps in what DL considers co-terminal, e.g. DAL and DFW do not count.)

Q. How are SDC flights credited?

A. You will earn MQMs for the route you actually fly.

Q. Can I SDC onto a red-eye later the same day, that connects to a flight the following morning?

A. Yes (though the agent may need to process it manually)

Q. I have a red-eye flight or a flight leaving shortly after midnight; can I SDC to a flight the next day/day before?

A. Officially, no. In practice, some people have reported success (with no real pattern to status). Can't hurt to ask.

Q. Can I SDC on an international itinerary?

A. Officially, no. In practice, you can SDC remaining domestic flights after all international flights have been flown; if you have onward checked bags it is best to do this before you re-check them. There are non-zero reports of SDC of domestic flights before connecting to an international flight but this should not be counted on.

Q. Can I SDC an Alaska Airlines codeshare?

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You can SDC from a DL marketed, AS operated flight to a DL operated flight. You can not SDC to another AS operated flight, even if it's DL marketed.
Originally Posted by jrl767
you may be able to SDC from a DL-marketed AS-operated flight to another AS flight under AS SDC rules (request within 6 hrs of desired flight, as long as you make the request before the scheduled departure of your booked flight; $50 fee if you don't have AS status)
Same-Day Standby

"Same-day standby is only offered if same-day confirmed is not available."

"You can use the same-day standby option for travel within the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection flights."

SDS can be requested 24 hours before your initial departure. GM+ can SDS to any flight departing the same calendar day; others can only SDS for an earlier flight. No routing changes are permitted.

SDS costs $75 ($50 for tickets issued before 15 MAR 2017) but only if you clear the standby list (waived for GM+) SDS is now free for all passengers as of August 4th, 2021

Upgrades are not preserved -- if you already cleared the upgrade on your original flight you must still standby for the main cabin.

Q. Is it possible to get upgraded after a standby?

A. Almost always no, whether because it is explicitly forbidden or because the standby list is processed after the UG list and it is rare for any F seats to be leftover after that happens. So, maybe sometimes?

Same-Day Standby Upgrades

"The same-day standby upgrade option allows you to upgrade your flight for a small fee, provided space is available and your ticket is eligible. This option applies to specific flights and routings [...]"

This is not the same as upgrading after successfully standing by for a main cabin seat (see above).

SDSU fee chart (may be out of date):

All flights within and between the Domestic 48 States and Alaska

Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

0 to 500 miles $49 $119 $169

501 to 1,000 miles $79 $149 $199

1,001 to 1,500 miles $99 $209 $259

1,501 to 2,000 miles $149 $249 $319

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All flights to and from Hawaii
Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All eligible other flights
Code:
Traveling Y / B / M / H / Q / K Fares

0 to 500 miles $50

501 to 1,000 miles $75

1,001 to 1,500 miles $100

1,501 to 2,000 miles $150

2,001 to 3,000 miles $225

3,001 miles and up $350

Print Wikipost

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
Diamond agents have already been giving out misinformation today about the need to have the same fare bucket (vs. class) avail....
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:24 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cliburn
Diamond agents have already been giving out misinformation today about the need to have the same fare bucket (vs. class) avail....
The same fare bucket does need to be available post 4/23.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
read this change a thousand times over and guess what? The changes are pretty good. I really don't understand all the moaning and belly aching. You can simply fly SDS with more flexibility then the old (actually current) program. I mean, these changes will affect most of us, with the few that are purchasing YBM, so the flight you want to get on to get home, will still probably get on with no charge. You might wind up in a middle seat but at least you got home when you wanted to. Most of us are smart enough to figure out what flights will have the best chances of SDSing to. I for one love it.
1. As was stated above, if you happen to miss your flight, you are screwed.
2. Some people travel with luggage and can't fly standby.
3. Even if you think you are"smart enough to figure out what flights will have the best chances of SDSing to", you can still be bumped for other travelers due to IROPS etc.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:33 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Loquascious
1. As was stated above, if you happen to miss your flight, you are screwed.
2. Some people travel with luggage and can't fly standby.
3. Even if you think you are"smart enough to figure out what flights will have the best chances of SDSing to", you can still be bumped for other travelers due to IROPS etc.
GM+ can standby for a flight after your original ticketed departure though do run the risk of not clearing as you alluded to in your 3rd point. I assume this can be done over the phone but don't know for sure.

If you request standby before checking in you can check luggage. It will be tagged with a standby luggage tag and most likely will arrive on the flight on which you are requesting standby.

One catch with the SDS is that it states that you can only SDS if SDC is not available. What if SDC is available but you don't want to pay the fee will you still be able to use SDS (as a GM+)? My guess is no...
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
You can simply fly SDS with more flexibility then the old (actually current) program.
Seriously, please point out what the enhancements to SDS are. I don't see them. SDS sounds the same as it is today, except that it will be allowed for all and not just Medallions.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Maybe its just my travel patterns, but I don't understand why somebody would want to go on standby. Do you want to go to the airport and sit around for hours not knowing if you'll get on an earlier flight in row 44 middle seat and pay $50 for the privilege, or be stuck wasting all of that time just to be on your original flight? Maybe some pax have all day to blow sitting around a lovely terminal, but most people don't.

The whole deal about the WNUP fares is bull also. So forked over money, WFBF, am supposedly a 'premium' customer now that DL is making lots of money off, but that flexibility of SDC is now gone. Enjoy holding a P or A ticket and being told nope, you can't SDC because the other flight only has F. Oh and you also can't even get confirmed into coach because there is no H available either from your H-UP basis. But sure you can standby for another 50 bucks and trade in your first class seat for a middle in the back if you happen to get on the flight.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:06 pm

Another exciting "enhancement":

Standby not permitted to/from Canada
So if you fly to/from Canada often - I do - and SDC isn't an option, then neither is SDS.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
The whole deal about the WNUP fares is bull also. So forked over money, WFBF, am supposedly a 'premium' customer now that DL is making lots of money off, but that flexibility of SDC is now gone. Enjoy holding a P or A ticket and being told nope, you can't SDC because the other flight only has F. Oh and you also can't even get confirmed into coach because there is no H available either from your H-UP basis. But sure you can standby for another 50 bucks and trade in your first class seat for a middle in the back if you happen to get on the flight.
Very well said

Happydad
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
read this change a thousand times over and guess what? The changes are pretty good. I really don't understand all the moaning and belly aching. You can simply fly SDS with more flexibility then the old (actually current) program. I mean, these changes will affect most of us, with the few that are purchasing YBM, so the flight you want to get on to get home, will still probably get on with no charge. You might wind up in a middle seat but at least you got home when you wanted to. Most of us are smart enough to figure out what flights will have the best chances of SDSing to. I for one love it.
The problem is that you have to go to the airport early, go to the gate that you want a seat on, sit and wait until the flight boards to see if you clear, get stuck with the middle seat because everyone else that is confirmed gets the better seats, since they all boarded already no more overhead space so you have to gate check your bag.

Yeah, sounds the same as now, get confirmed on your flight, sit in the club having a glass of wine, go to the gate to board Sky Priority, guaranteed overhead space.

Last edited by MR_MAMA; Apr 11, 2013 at 8:50 pm
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
Yeah, sounds the same as all, get confirmed on your flight, sit in the club having a glass of wine, go to the gate to board Sky Priority, guaranteed overhead space.
Sounds like its part of the master plan to reduce the number of pax using the clubs. They're assuming everybody will be waiting in the gate area watching the display shot 36 standbys for 2 seats on the flight.

The new thing will be shena on the standby list instead of the upgrade list.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by rylan
Perhaps this will prompt folks to mount a legal challenge to the BS associated with the A & P fares that are marketed as FC, but become presumptuous coach fares whenever anything goes wrong.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
You do know with the current system, you can fly SDS just as they had described. The only difference is that they are charging anyone that is not GM+ a $50 fee.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:33 pm

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
Originally Posted by 18sas
Another exciting "enhancement":

So if you fly to/from Canada often - I do - and SDC isn't an option, then neither is SDS.
SDC is an option according to the changes: You can use the same-day confirmed option for travel within the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection® flights.

SDS though is not available for Canadian flights. Does not make any sense at all.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by KissFlyGoodbye
SDC is an option according to the changes:
SDS though is not available for Canadian flights. Does not make any sense at all.
Yes, I should have been more clear. By "If SDC isn't an option..." I meant if you can't use SDC due to the fare bucket restriction.

But I have no idea why SDS isn't allowed for Canadian flights, like it is today.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by 18sas
But I have no idea why SDS isn't allowed for Canadian flights, like it is today.
Because in some data analysis program they said they could make $$ leaving that out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.