Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Is this the AF issue people are talking about:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...premium-w.html
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by nittany987
Good luck trying to find AF/KLM availability for Delta at all. They are in battle with Delta and not releasing much (if any) prior to 6/25 of next year.

Believe this is all captured in the other threads on the topic.
That perception is outdated, particularly for Business class seats on AF/KL. An ExpertFlyer subscription will allow one to check for AF or KL inventory JFK-CDG/AMS over a month's dates in less than a minute. I wouldn't discourage anybody from trying a search to/from AF/KL's North American gateway cities.

Delta availability on AF/KL aligns well with what is shown on EF - not with what is shown on Flying Blue.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mtkeller
I think the consensus is that the FB engine is not useful for TATL space on AF/KL metal right now. Well, if there's no space there, there's nothing for DL. However, space there does not imply space for DL. You must verify through something like ExpertFlyer.
Sadly I think you're right. But keep in mind this is just for AF/KL metal right now (as you stated, I jsut want to reiterate). Hope this gets fixed soon. So much for seamless ST and seamless JV.

Originally Posted by mtkeller
Play agent roulette again. The one who claimed SU was no longer a partner should be a clear sign that you're dealing with clueless agents. You need to feed them the flight numbers and dates you want to fly, not just tell them you want to fly a particular route.
Sadly so true. Many DL agents are so clueless when it comes to booking partner awards. That's why I wrote this thread.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Very good guide and thread. Thanks.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That perception is outdated, particularly for Business class seats on AF/KL. An ExpertFlyer subscription will allow one to check for AF or KL inventory JFK-CDG/AMS over a month's dates in less than a minute. I wouldn't discourage anybody from trying a search to/from AF/KL's North American gateway cities.

Delta availability on AF/KL aligns well with what is shown on EF - not with what is shown on Flying Blue.
This may be true, but I've had a hell of a time trying to find J in June...

I hope you are right, but I'm not seeing results (for my admittedly self-centered date range) on KVS or EF.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Not trying to crosspost here, but anyone with any luck on calculating MPM SFO-CTS? Don't know how DL or any ST carrier would accurately calculate MPM on this routing as you would have to fly KE or some other ST partner mix.

See my dilemma here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19609225-post1359.html

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Today heard a new one from DL DM agent. I was trying to get a PVG-KE-ICN-KE-LAX itin on the A388 (ICN-LAX) and agent couldn't find it via search. I asked her to put in PVG-ICN first and then ICN-LAX and agent told me she was given a directive by her supervisors to not search point to point and refused to. I asked her to search via time and search via KE and she claimed she couldn't find it (despite the fact that it was the first thing on came up on DL.dumb for me when I searched PVG-LAX).

She told me she could find the MU direct PVG-LAX. I asked her to try to book it, and she said "she can't". A few questions later I find out that her manual sell didn't come back with a response - meaning still waiting. I asked her to wait a few minutes and she told me couldn't. I asked why and her response was shocking:

"I will lose my benefits and points because my call times are tracked and I can't wait 5 min for you."

At this point instead of hanging up I asked to speak to a sup.

Has anyone run into this ridiculousness?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Today heard a new one from DL DM agent. I was trying to get a PVG-KE-ICN-KE-LAX itin on the A388 (ICN-LAX) and agent couldn't find it via search. I asked her to put in PVG-ICN first and then ICN-LAX and agent told me she was given a directive by her supervisors to not search point to point and refused to. I asked her to search via time and search via KE and she claimed she couldn't find it (despite the fact that it was the first thing on came up on DL.dumb for me when I searched PVG-LAX).

She told me she could find the MU direct PVG-LAX. I asked her to try to book it, and she said "she can't". A few questions later I find out that her manual sell didn't come back with a response - meaning still waiting. I asked her to wait a few minutes and she told me couldn't. I asked why and her response was shocking:

"I will lose my benefits and points because my call times are tracked and I can't wait 5 min for you."

At this point instead of hanging up I asked to speak to a sup.

Has anyone run into this ridiculousness?
I did not, but I would have thanked her for her time and ended the call after "told me she was given a directive by her supervisors to not search point to point and refused to".

Edit to add: if you found PVG-ICN-LAX via dl.com, why didn't you put that on hold and called to add the extra segments needed?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by michael_v
I did not, but I would have thanked her for her time and ended the call after "told me she was given a directive by her supervisors to not search point to point and refused to".

Edit to add: if you found PVG-ICN-LAX via dl.com, why didn't you put that on hold and called to add the extra segments needed?
Could have, but needed to add a lot of segments that may not have worked with my overall itin.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Why are DL agents so allergic to searching by segment.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Why are DL agents so allergic to searching by segment.
Reason sort of makes sense, they don't want to create itins that violate MCT and create misconnections on partners. But the solution isn't a blanket don't do point to point, but verify flights are valid published routings.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 3:19 pm

Lots of Questions...Help???

I've read this thread from the first post the last. I have soooo many questions. Even though I don't fly a ton, we do travel quite a bit.

Trying to get 2 tickets, one using miles, one a purchase. The exact same itinerary for both. Both in COACH.

MEM-FCO June 4, 2013 BCN-MEM June 16, 2013. Could be ATL not MEM if need be.

1. MEM is losing its KLM flight to AMS.

2. I have a FB account that I have bee using to search availibility.

3. DH is FO with Delta, soon to be Gold ( Not that it matters)

4. If I see a availability on FB (low) does that still not mean that it can be booked on DL?

5. If I see for example ATL-CDG-FCO for "low" on 6/4 is it DL bookable? What would be the Fees? Do I pay what the fees say on the KL site?

6. Can I add a leg ATL-MEM for no extra miles if there is Low availibility on DL.

Ugh. Any tips would be great!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Don't waste your time searching with a Flying Blue account for an award. If you can't immediately find Delta-operated low band awards, use ExpertFlyer to search KLM, AF and Alitalia from their U.S. gateways (ATL/MIA/ORD/DTW/JFK/EWR/BOS+), then add Delta segments to/from the gateway to the trans-Atlantic segments you have found. Anything with Alitalia will require booking by phone; since you're trying for award + purchased, just find an agent to do both.

You can have a stopover and an open jaw.

Flying Blue's fees are not representative of Delta's fees for a TATL award originating in the U.S. Taxes and fees will be much less.

Fixed dates are an enemy of aspirations to low band award tickets. Contemplate getting to Rome a day or two early (there's plenty to see!) or departing BCN (same) later if need be.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by stan1162
I've read this thread from the first post the last. I have soooo many questions. Even though I don't fly a ton, we do travel quite a bit.

Trying to get 2 tickets, one using miles, one a purchase. The exact same itinerary for both. Both in COACH.

4. If I see a availability on FB (low) does that still not mean that it can be booked on DL? Used to be that way, but not anymore. At least for Business class, there is a lot of FB classic inventory that is no longer available to DL SM members. Don't know if the same restrictions were put in place for coach awards or not. Safest bet is to use ExpertFlyer to search for X (coach) or O (business) inventory now.

5. If I see for example ATL-CDG-FCO for "low" on 6/4 is it DL bookable? What would be the Fees? Do I pay what the fees say on the KL site? See above re: searching on FB. As for the fees, no, you do not pay them unless your trip is originating in Europe instead of the US.

6. Can I add a leg ATL-MEM for no extra miles if there is Low availibility on DL. International trips are subject to a maximum permitted mileage. ExpertFlyer will tell you what this is for your desired route. You can have whatever flights you want between ATL and FCO as long as the combined distance of all your flights between ATL and FCO adds up to below that MPM.

Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stan1162

4. If I see a availability on FB (low) does that still not mean that it can be booked on DL?

5. If I see for example ATL-CDG-FCO for "low" on 6/4 is it DL bookable? What would be the Fees? Do I pay what the fees say on the KL site?

6. Can I add a leg ATL-MEM for no extra miles if there is Low availibility on DL.

Here are my tips:

1. You want to first map out all the possible routings from MEM-FCO, BCN-MEM on all carriers:

a. Specifically what I would focus on first is how to get TATL (over the ocean). Obviously that will be DL, AF, KL, or AZ. DL to LHR, AMS, CDG, FCO; KL to AMS, AF to CDG, and AZ to FCO. Try Skyteam Travel Desk (PC software - just google it).

b. Once you find that availability on the dates you want (use DL.com for DL or you can use FB.com for DL metal, then use EF or if you don't have that try FB), work back into your US hub (likely MEM, ATL, IAD, DCA, BOS, JFK). You might even want to check DTW and MSP as well.

My guess is that intra-EU flight will not be an issue, TATL and the intra-US will be.

I wouldn't worry too much about MPM unless you really are doing a complicated routing.

2. Price your flights outbound, then price them inbound. i.e. search them as one ways to find all your lows

3. Be patient

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.