Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Is this the thread you're referring too?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...ad-merged.html

If so, I want to make sure I understand, you advocate making this thread a sticky and having content be related to the first few posts only (how to book with partners), and then having a separate thread like "Help me book my partner award" right?

If so, I'm all aboard. Mods, thoughts?
Why having two threads? Why not just having the information in the first few posts and the rest can be questions? With two threads, it would be easier for newbies to simply ask questions before reading the information first.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by michael_v
Why having two threads? Why not just having the information in the first few posts and the rest can be questions? With two threads, it would be easier for newbies to simply ask questions before reading the information first.
Inevitably what happens with one thread is that good information gets buried on page 131/845, and those of us who frequent a thread know it's there, but it's hard to advise someone on what they should read before they start asking questions. With one thread, the assumption in a lot of corners in FT is that the OP isn't necessarily up-to-date, so people come in and ask the same question over and over. (With US, it's "Can I get LH/LX F?" With BA (who have a much better structure for their info, so I'm just giving the common question) it's "Why so much cash to redeem?") This leads to snark from regulars, but there's not a clear place to go for the lastest information. A sticky that screams READ THIS BEFORE ASKING ABOUT SKYPESOS REDEMPTIONS!!!! and concludes with "If you need help, please post in this other thread thread" can help a lot of people (provided that the top posts in the thread are kept up-to-date). In particular, an advantage for newbies is that after reading to the end of the informational posts, they know that they can stop reading and go ask their question if it's not been answered there. In the mega-threads, the amount of stuff that someone is "expected" to read before posting is so overwhelming that many don't read any of it before posting something that's been asked and answered 5000 times (and is answered in post four of the thread).

I'd like to see one place that's focused on laying out the rules of SkyMiles (as we know them) and recommending search tools that receives few posts other than things like "Hey, I just redeemed for J LAX-BNE on VA without fuel surcharges!" that result in updates to the helpful info at the top of the thread (that'd be the most important stuff from this thread) and a separate place ("clinic thread") that's focused on helping people debug their own individual problems. Anything of general utility that gets discovered through discussions in that thread could be moved/copied into the sticky by the mods.

I hear that FT is trying out some Wiki-like things in a few of the forums, and that's really what we need here, but until we have one, I think a two-thread solution is the best route.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Inevitably what happens with one thread is that good information gets buried on page 131/845, and those of us who frequent a thread know it's there, but it's hard to advise someone on what they should read before they start asking questions. With one thread, the assumption in a lot of corners in FT is that the OP isn't necessarily up-to-date, so people come in and ask the same question over and over. (With US, it's "Can I get LH/LX F?" With BA (who have a much better structure for their info, so I'm just giving the common question) it's "Why so much cash to redeem?") This leads to snark from regulars, but there's not a clear place to go for the lastest information. A sticky that screams READ THIS BEFORE ASKING ABOUT SKYPESOS REDEMPTIONS!!!! and concludes with "If you need help, please post in this other thread thread" can help a lot of people (provided that the top posts in the thread are kept up-to-date). In particular, an advantage for newbies is that after reading to the end of the informational posts, they know that they can stop reading and go ask their question if it's not been answered there. In the mega-threads, the amount of stuff that someone is "expected" to read before posting is so overwhelming that many don't read any of it before posting something that's been asked and answered 5000 times (and is answered in post four of the thread).

I'd like to see one place that's focused on laying out the rules of SkyMiles (as we know them) and recommending search tools that receives few posts other than things like "Hey, I just redeemed for J LAX-BNE on VA without fuel surcharges!" that result in updates to the helpful info at the top of the thread (that'd be the most important stuff from this thread) and a separate place ("clinic thread") that's focused on helping people debug their own individual problems. Anything of general utility that gets discovered through discussions in that thread could be moved/copied into the sticky by the mods.

I hear that FT is trying out some Wiki-like things in a few of the forums, and that's really what we need here, but until we have one, I think a two-thread solution is the best route.
+1

Or rather, IMO, not two thread, but really different questions (on bigger topics) deserve different threads for easy searching, while the "how to" thread such as this should be only for questions directly related to it, and other misc posts posted in it should be moved out of it, each to its own separate thread with a proper title, so that there is not one gigantic thread, like that one on the US forum, that is far too big to be of use and very hard to find the information one is looking for in, so it's just forever replaying the same things (with a few different nuances at best) over and over and over and over and over (...) again.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC

Fair points, I suppose one alternative solution is for the OP (me in this case) to keep reading constantly and update the first few posts.

Originally Posted by michael_v
Good points, do you have any thoughts on mtkeller's points above?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 3:02 pm

Fair points, I suppose one alternative solution is for the OP (me in this case) to keep reading constantly and update the first few posts.
Or people can mod alert to have the information added/updated. It does not have to be your effort only.

Good points, do you have any thoughts on mtkeller's points above?
I guess I did not take into account the fact that people on FT expect first posts to be not updated and jump to ask questions, which is a fair point.

However, with 2 threads, I still think there is a possibility that people will find the "clinic" thread first and just ask questions (since the "clinic" thread says "questions welcome" in the title) and not read the reference to the "information" thread in the OP first. I still think a single thread with the theme "read up-to-date OP then ask questions" with OP updated by OP and mods alerted by users makes more sense to me - at least until/if we get wikis.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:28 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, Amex Reserve/Plat
I have pieced together a very nice 8 segment LAX-Europe Business class award with one open jaw and one stopover routing below:

LAX-SEA-CDG-CPH (dest.) (open jaw) TXL-PRG(24hr transfer)-AMS(24hr transfer)-CDG (Stopover)-CVG-LAX

both routings LAX-CPH and TXL-LAX are under the MPM thresholds as far as I can tell also verified by the rates desk

the Award is currently pricing out at 145k SM and not the 100k that I beleive it should be. The fare is breaking at the Open Jaw and Charging TXL-PRG-AMS as a separate 45k inter-europe business award.

I had a conversation with the rates desk late at night and "Abdul" from the India call center specifically said that it was because there was both a stopover and an open jaw that it was pricing this way. I'm leaning on you other expertflyers out there to help me out of this pickle. Is there really no documentation of the ability to have both a stopover and an open jaw on an international award ticket? can't really point to a pointsguy blog post as gospel to delta's rate desk. And I do see where online under the SM Progam Guide Award section it actually defines an open jaw as a stopover and then says under stopover that 1 is allowed. Any help or suggestions on how I might get this work at the 100k level would be much appreciated.

-LAXHOUND

GUIDE SECTION

3. Valid routings and segment rules
As with all SM award tickets, you are allowed to have both a stop-over (SO) and open jaw (OJ) on your ticket. While DL's website lists SO or OJ, in reality you can do both. Thepointguy has a good article on this. Also keep in mind, since many partner awards consist of international itineraries, international stop-overs are considered stops for over 24 hours. Thus you can layover in a city for up to 24 hours without it counting as your stop-over. Staying overnight on an international itinerary may be an ideal way to route your award travel due to lack of availability. Keep in mind stop-overs are allowed on any valid or published routing. Lastly keep in mind, so long as the routing is valid/legal, the stop-over locations do not necessarily have to be logical connecting points. (i.e. does not have to only be hubs)

Other than RTW tickets (see links below in section 7), keep in mind that the Delta enforces a MPS and MPM (max permitted segments and miles) rules of 8 segments (4 each direction), and MPM is a function of your routing (refer to EF/KVS as only DL manual pricing desk agents know the MPM). Keep in mind that you are allowed to exceed the MPM if the carrier you're flying publishes a fare routed that way. This is one area where sometimes DL.com prices correctly and over the phone does not. So the solution here is to self-redeem (ask agent to put you on hold, then redeem yourself online). Lastly, it is perfectly acceptable to mix carriers/metal to form different routings (including ST and non-ST). For instance, if you wanted to fly from TPE-PVG, you don't have to fly direct on CI. So long as availability exists, you could fly TPE-KE-ICN-MU-PVG and it should not be considered two segments (thus doubling the miles).
Old Nov 29, 2012, 5:52 am

You have five segments on the return. It's very clearly stated in the part you quoted that you only get four segments each direction.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 7:41 am

You have five segments on the return. It's very clearly stated in the part you quoted that you only get five segments each direction.
Correct. But I think you mean four and not five .
Old Nov 29, 2012, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by LAXHOUND
I have pieced together a very nice 8 segment LAX-Europe Business class award with one open jaw and one stopover routing below:

LAX-SEA-CDG-CPH (dest.) (open jaw) TXL-PRG(24hr transfer)-AMS(24hr transfer)-CDG (Stopover)-CVG-LAX

both routings LAX-CPH and TXL-LAX are under the MPM thresholds as far as I can tell also verified by the rates desk

the Award is currently pricing out at 145k SM and not the 100k that I beleive it should be. The fare is breaking at the Open Jaw and Charging TXL-PRG-AMS as a separate 45k inter-europe business award.

I had a conversation with the rates desk late at night and "Abdul" from the India call center specifically said that it was because there was both a stopover and an open jaw that it was pricing this way. I'm leaning on you other expertflyers out there to help me out of this pickle. Is there really no documentation of the ability to have both a stopover and an open jaw on an international award ticket? can't really point to a pointsguy blog post as gospel to delta's rate desk. And I do see where online under the SM Progam Guide Award section it actually defines an open jaw as a stopover and then says under stopover that 1 is allowed. Any help or suggestions on how I might get this work at the 100k level would be much appreciated.

-LAXHOUND
Also the agent's explanation does not make sense because even without TXL-PRG-AMS, it is still an open-jaw and 1 stopover.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by llamagatekeeper
Correct. But I think you mean four and not five .
Ugh. This is what I get for posting while half awake. Thanks for catching, and I'll edit my post to avoid confusion.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Def NOT because of SO and OJ. It's cause it's 5 segments as mtkeller states.

Is there a reason you want to connect in PRG and AMS? I would skip PRG, AMS, or CDG and go with two of them. Intra-EU segments should be easy to find low in J, so drop one of those.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Trying to search Alitalia inventory but it wants me to log in to see Award inventory. Any easier way to do it than day by day via EF?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 6:42 pm

CZ

Accidentally booked an award ticket for 2 on 7/7, SIN-CAN-LAX on CZ. Need to get on a 7/6 flight. Hopped on expertflyer, show I availability with 3. Confirmed with KVS that 3 are open.

Call in to DL PM desk, and 3 times have been told that the SIN-CAN leg is unavailable. Can't get them to see the inventory, but they do show it on the 7th... so it seems like something odd is happening here.

Any thoughts on why this might be? I can't find any other routings/airlines that would make this work (other than the helpful suggestion that DL flights are available at the 'High' level )
Old Dec 3, 2012, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by MichaelKade
Trying to search Alitalia inventory but it wants me to log in to see Award inventory. Any easier way to do it than day by day via EF?
EF can search a week at a time. FlyingBlue works as well, but I don't know any good way to avoid it showing you AF/KL inventory that might not be bookable through DL.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by nittany987
Accidentally booked an award ticket for 2 on 7/7, SIN-CAN-LAX on CZ. Need to get on a 7/6 flight. Hopped on expertflyer, show I availability with 3. Confirmed with KVS that 3 are open.

Call in to DL PM desk, and 3 times have been told that the SIN-CAN leg is unavailable. Can't get them to see the inventory, but they do show it on the 7th... so it seems like something odd is happening here.

Any thoughts on why this might be? I can't find any other routings/airlines that would make this work (other than the helpful suggestion that DL flights are available at the 'High' level )
There was another report of some intra-Asia issues with CZ recently. Don't remember the final resolution. If you're not up agains the segment limit, you might try VN via SGN/HAN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.