Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I am just off the phone unsuccessfully attempting a booking with Delta in business class to Europe at low miles.

Does anyone know the current status of the relationship between Expertflyer's display of O class on Air France and availability for partner awards? I found a lot of O on AF on acceptable dates, but the agent I spoke to was unable to book. I did not push for a long sell or anything of that sort since I could not find anything definitive and recent that would confirm that O shown on ExpertFlyer should be available to Delta flyers. Can anyone confirm/deny?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
I've yet to see AF O available on EF that wouldn't show on DL.dumb when sorting by fewest miles required. If you post date and routes, maybe some of us can see what we think might be up. KL space is really problematic right now across the board and comes back sell denied even on a long sell in many cases, but AF should be fine.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:21 am

I have pretty flexible dates, so I'll just post one example.

BUD->ATL on 6 October 13, shows O3 on Air France at Expertflyer

lowest miles on dl.dumb is 370k. No AF shown at all (but there are KLM).

Does this mean I should call back the PSS line and ask for a long sell on specific flights?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Thanks, will update the sticky shortly to indicate AZ bookable on DL.com. Keep the reports coming in. News of it being bookable doesn't mean the majority of us will be able to book it...
Old Mar 7, 2013, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by angra
I have pretty flexible dates, so I'll just post one example.

BUD->ATL on 6 October 13, shows O3 on Air France at Expertflyer

lowest miles on dl.dumb is 370k. No AF shown at all (but there are KLM).

Does this mean I should call back the PSS line and ask for a long sell on specific flights?
EF is only showing AF space from BUD to CDG. The empty box next to CDG-ATL means there is no space on that flight. I'm confident if you just search for BUD-CDG on DL.dumb, it will show that space.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
A question on AF availability

I need a clarification from the experts:

AF shows three types of availability for my flights, classic in economy and premium economy, and flex in economy. Does that translate into different skymiles levels required or is this all at low skymiles level - I am confused by the statement in the first post that says all partner awards are low level.

Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by drminn

AF shows three types of availability for my flights, classic in economy and premium economy, and flex in economy. Does that translate into different skymiles levels required or is this all at low skymiles level - I am confused by the statement in the first post that says all partner awards are low level.

Thanks for your help.
Don't waste your time searching on the AF site any more. The availability will not match up with DL. Use ExpertFlyer or fight with DL.dumb. Anything you can book on AF metal will price at low for the class of service and regions being connected based on the DL award chart. (You cannot book premium economy with SkyMiles.)
Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller
EF is only showing AF space from BUD to CDG. The empty box next to CDG-ATL means there is no space on that flight. I'm confident if you just search for BUD-CDG on DL.dumb, it will show that space.
Thanks! I misread the results page and did not realize that each leg was showing (or not!) its own availability and thought that the Ox was for the whole itinerary. Thanks again for the clarification.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drminn

Thanks for your help.
As stated in the thread, all partner awards are ALWAYS at low.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 2:08 am

I've got a pair of award tix booked on Virgin Australia from LAX/DPS in biz departing next week. I will only need to use the return portion. Is it possible to change the tix so they originate out of DPS/LAX, and find dates months out for a return flight LAX/DPS (actually just found a couple of open dates)? Just concerned that if they drop the outbound segments, they might not be able to retain the current return DPS/LAX. Any experience or thoughts with this kind of change?
Old Mar 12, 2013, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gstork
I've got a pair of award tix booked on Virgin Australia from LAX/DPS in biz departing next week. I will only need to use the return portion. Is it possible to change the tix so they originate out of DPS/LAX, and find dates months out for a return flight LAX/DPS (actually just found a couple of open dates)? Just concerned that if they drop the outbound segments, they might not be able to retain the current return DPS/LAX. Any experience or thoughts with this kind of change?
Why not just book a OW?
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Why not just book a OW?
Booking DPS-LAX may incur that international origination surcharge.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Why not just book a OW?
Because one-way awards cost the same as roundtrip, correct? (120K miles)

And if I book the return LAX/DPS early next year, I can take advantage of the return flight, and find another one-way home (similar to what I'm doing now).
Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v
Booking DPS-LAX may incur that international origination surcharge.
No it won't. It's only awards originating in Europe (and the Middle East if travel is on AF/KL) where fuel surcharges are automatically collected. Ex-DPS, the only reason you'd incur YQ is if flying one of the partners for which DL collects YQ regardless of origin.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller
No it won't. It's only awards originating in Europe (and the Middle East if travel is on AF/KL) where fuel surcharges are automatically collected. Ex-DPS, the only reason you'd incur YQ is if flying one of the partners for which DL collects YQ regardless of origin.
Thanks, I keep forgetting that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.