Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Suggestions on BusinessElite seat on 777-200ER for travel with infant on lap?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions on BusinessElite seat on 777-200ER for travel with infant on lap?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
I'm pretty sure it's just the F/As jumpseats, as the second set of boarding and service doors are right behind row 7. 7A or 7D will be a good choice.
Thanks! I for now choose 7D for both outbound and returning flights. BE cabin in both flights are very empty right now, with only 1 and 2 more selected seats besides mine -- I guess that's why I can book the flight on 120K miles only.

Last edited by destinio; Nov 20, 2012 at 9:22 am Reason: corrected spelling
Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much! I just PM'ed you for some additional question if you don't mind.

Originally Posted by HongKonger
I've flown with an infant in arms on a 77L and found 7A and 7D to be good. The extra flat surface for putting things on will help when you are juggling all the baby accessories with which you will be traveling. The fact that it is also the most "private" because of the wall behind you (14A and D also) means that you can contain the spread of any screaming if you lie the seat flat and put the baby near the headrest portion. It's also near the galley and emergency exit which are spaces you can walk into if you need to do some bouncing/rocking/singing where there won't be other passengers to bother (just be respectful of and defer to crew especially during meal prep and service).

The other good thing about row 7 is that the lavatory next to 7D is the only BE lav with a pull-down changing table. The 2 forward lavs don't have changing tables nor is there room anywhere in those lavs to change the baby. As a fellow parent I implore you, DO NOT change the baby (even if it's just pee) at your seat or anywhere except in the lav!

If the pressure change causes discomfort/screaming, sucking on something, preferably that delivers liquid (like a breast) should help a lot.

Some may suggest giving Benadryl to put them to sleep. I personally would not drug my child to sleep but I understand the thought process. If you choose to try this, test it out in advance of the flight as it can have the opposite effect in infants!

At five months old it may be less important to keep them entertained but when they reach the age that they need to be entertained bring plenty of toys and books so they don't get bored. Bring a few new toys and books they've never had as surprises for them and give a new one every few hours, this keeps them occupied. Worked like a charm for me.

If they are eating any solid food or formula be sure to bring a full supply for the flight time plus some extra in case of delays or whatnot. Same for diapers and supplies. If you are pumping be aware that although there are power plugs they don't always work well with motorized devices such as pumps especially those that weren't made in the USA. Have some pre-pumped, you can take an unlimited amount of breast milk through security. Don't rely on the airline to have anything for the baby!

There are no bassinet attachments in BE. The bassinets are pretty small anyway. An infant will sleep fine in a BE seat that is laid flat though you may need to use some extra blankets/pillows to prevent them slipping in turbulence.

Don't listen to the people trying to get you to buy an extra seat. There is no need to do so for a child under 2 unless you want them to have their own seat. If you are willing to hold the infant for that long it works just fine. Be aware however that the infant in arms ticket costs 10% of the J fare which can be expensive, it was give or take $1000 when I did it.

I used to do the HKG-DTW flight twice a year in BE with an infant in arms (man I miss that flight) and they did just fine. Yours will too, just be calm and patient. Be considerate of other passengers. I mentioned above not to change the baby except in a lav. Also try your best to calm the crying ASAP (I know how hard it is!) or during crying move to an area like the galley where you are bothering as few passengers as possible. There are always people on flights who don't like children and don't think they should be brought into BE. But DL allows them there and you have every right to be there with the baby so don't take any guff from other passengers and complain to the FA if they get in your face (never happened to me but saw it happen to others), BUT always try your best not to bother or inconvenience other passengers. If the flight attendants see that you are trying your best on this they are going to appreciate it and help you out more and will also be more likely to deflect the complaints of other passengers if any.

Please post more questions or PM me if you like.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:17 am
Original Poster

"Do not change diapers in seat" is my No. 1 rule now.

Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
^ on ONLY changing the infant in the lav.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 3:30 pm

Programs: DAL-PM
All is fine and dandy until you hit Clear Air turbulence out of nowhere crossing the North Pacific.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

No our flight doesn't cross the Pacific; it goes above the Arctic.

Originally Posted by sushi lover
All is fine and dandy until you hit Clear Air turbulence out of nowhere crossing the North Pacific.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by destinio
Not sure that eliminates the possibility of turbulence.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Don't listen to the people trying to get you to buy an extra seat. There is no need to do so for a child under 2 unless you want them to have their own seat.
Based on personal experience I will adamantly disagree with this statement. Once a kid starts walking and is active having them on a lap can be a real PITA for all. My wife and I got the luxury of twins behind us beating on our seats throughout an 8 hour TATL flight. IMHO the airlines need to re-evaluate their age limits. BITD two years old was probably fine as loads were much lower and more often than not an extra seat could be utilized. That is not the case today and IMHO after age one they should have their own seat.

None of this matters for the OP. That said I did see parents using a bassinets on my last TATL and it worked quite well for all, PAX, parents, and infant.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

It probably doesn't; I don't have the knowledge of that. But the point is, one should realize that if his/her taken-for-granted fact can be wrong, his/her self-righteous opinion can also be wrong too -- even though I can appreciate the likely good intention there.

Originally Posted by rwoman
Not sure that eliminates the possibility of turbulence.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Luckily mine will be only 5 month old at the time of travel.

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Based on personal experience I will adamantly disagree with this statement. Once a kid starts walking and is active having them on a lap can be a real PITA for all. My wife and I got the luxury of twins behind us beating on our seats throughout an 8 hour TATL flight. IMHO the airlines need to re-evaluate their age limits. BITD two years old was probably fine as loads were much lower and more often than not an extra seat could be utilized. That is not the case today and IMHO after age one they should have their own seat.

None of this matters for the OP. That said I did see parents using a bassinets on my last TATL and it worked quite well for all, PAX, parents, and infant.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:28 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by destinio
These flights will usually go over the Arctic "westbound", but not always. Eastbound is almost always over the Pacific.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:13 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
So what's the date so I can avoid the flight? I'd appreciate the info as I'm sure others would.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar

At least in this case the OP is being considerate and taking an A or D so they won't be distrubing a seat mate by having a B or C seat and sounds willing to take a front or back row to distrub as few of people as possible.

What REALLY sucks is when you pay for a first class seat on a redeye so you can sleep and then you have someone sitting directly behind you with an infant that bawls almost the entire flight. BOSE headphones will not drown out that noise. And what made it even worse was overhearing a conversation and finding out she was non-rev!!! I should have cleared for sure as a PM if a non-rev sat up front. It was a waste of money not being able to get any sleep. I was almost ready to take my pillow and blanket and see if an EC seat was open.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 4:25 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
The new "pod" BE seats are awful for travel with an infant from my personal experience. We had an equipment change going to the Philippines with our first daughter last year...the old 747 BE configuration has bassinets in BE for babies, the 777 sub'd in did not.

A miserable experience...the 777 BE seats are just to narrow to comfortably settle down with a baby in arms. I can pretty much guarantee you that you'll arrive exhausted with a very unhappy baby.

Returning on the 747 in BE with baby in bassinet was a breeze.

just my 2 cents...
Old Nov 21, 2012, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You should have complained. A nonrev is not allowed to bring a child under a certain age (5 years???) into BE or FC on DL. This includes either a lap kid or a child with its own seat assignment. The GA should not have allowed it, although I have seen nonrevs traveling together arrange that some adults sit in coach with the kids, but then bring the kids into FC/BE to "visit" during the *entire* flight or swap a screaming baby back and forth between parents in two cabins.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by bubu-SNA
The new "pod" BE seats are awful for travel with an infant from my personal experience. We had an equipment change going to the Philippines with our first daughter last year...the old 747 BE configuration has bassinets in BE for babies, the 777 sub'd in did not.

A miserable experience...the 777 BE seats are just to narrow to comfortably settle down with a baby in arms. I can pretty much guarantee you that you'll arrive exhausted with a very unhappy baby.

Returning on the 747 in BE with baby in bassinet was a breeze.

just my 2 cents...
I had several wonderful trips HKG-DTW and the reverse with infants in arms on the 777. Was never a problem. We slept side by side, I slept on my side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.