Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Suggestions on BusinessElite seat on 777-200ER for travel with infant on lap?

Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

I just read some of the old posts regarding "baby in business/first class". It seems a controversial idea at best. For those of you happen to travel with us, please bear with us if our then 5-month old is going too crazy practicing her screaming during the ~14hr DTW-PEK flight as a 120K miles award ticket.

To reduce the disturbance, minimize the embarrassment, as well increase our convenience, could anyone suggest the best seat in BusinessElite on the Delta 777-200ER for a mom with infant-on-lap?

Seat map is at:
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Del..._777-200ER.php

I was thinking of being either close to Lavatory like 7D or 11D, or in the very back corner of the business cabin so that people wouldn't see us often, like in 14D. Does that make sense?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by destinio; Nov 20, 2012 at 6:17 am Reason: Clarified title; corrected misspelling
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:46 pm

Programs: DAL-PM
Do you travel in your car holding your infant in your lap? I doubt it....please buy your kiddo a seat and use a car seat. (aircraft approved)
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
WOW That sounds like a trip from hell. Could you please let us know the date and flight numbers so we can avoid it. Thanks
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:40 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by 122554
WOW That sounds like a trip from hell. Could you please let us know the date and flight numbers so we can avoid it. Thanks
+1^
Old Nov 20, 2012, 1:26 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
49c looks good.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 2:17 am

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Having flown from ORD-MAD with an infant in business class, baby tylenol will ease your pain on the trip. Just be considerate of others.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 3:31 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
If you are travelling with a 5 month old and your spouse isn't with you in J, I would choose 1A or D based on that seat map if it's available.

If you chose a B or C seat you are going to have someone sitting directly beside you, where you won't in an A or D seat.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 3:51 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by destinio
I was thinking of being either close to Lavatory like 7D or 11D, or in the very back corner of the business cabin so that people wouldn't see us often, like in 14D. Does that make sense?
I'd be more concerned about sound than visuals (especially in these seats, where it's difficult to see anything while seated). Rows 1 and 10 will have very little in front of you. 10C is right across from a lav, and 1A is a few steps away. Also, if you need to get up and go to the galley, 14 will be the furthest away.

I can't remember what the bassinet options on these planes is in J, but that might be worth looking into as well.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 4:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There are bassinets at some of the coach bulkhead seats on the 777, but I don't recall seeing any in BE and it isn't obvious where they could fit in the BE cabin.

Has the OP looked at the miles required for two coach seats, so that the baby would have its own assigned seat and be able to use a car seat for the trip, including being buckled in for takeoff and landing? Even if there's an extra seat in BE, the configuration makes it unsuitable for a small child because the parent would not be able to care for or even see the baby.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 6:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH gold
Isn't there an airbag in the 77L BE seat belts? I don't know that infants are suitable for these particular BE seats. I'd call and speak with a rep just to clear up some of those basics.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 7:09 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
I just read some of the old posts regarding "baby in business/first class". It seems a controversial idea at best. For those of you happen to travel with us, please bear with us if our then 5-month old is going too crazy practicing her screaming during the ~14hr DTW-PEK flight as a 120K miles award ticket.

To reduce the disturbance, minimize the embarrassment, as well increase our convenience, could anyone suggest the best seat in BusinessElite on the Delta 777-200ER for a mom with infant-on-lap?

Seat map is at:
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Del..._777-200ER.php

Thanks in advance!
I think you have the right idea. At least you're aware of the fact that you have a kid and know to select a seat away from others to reduce disturbance. I would say the closer you are to a bulkhead, or one of the ends of the cabin (front or rear), the better for you. I think 7A or 7D would be great. I've sat in 7D before and although Seatguru gives it a "Yellow" I found it to be a very good and "private" seat. The galley being across from me didn't bother me at all.

PS: Since you're asking the questions on here, you sound like a parent who will do what they can to keep their infant quiet and calm throughout the flight. Ignore the snobs and enjoy the flight in BE.

Originally Posted by Zomba
Isn't there an airbag in the 77L BE seat belts? I don't know that infants are suitable for these particular BE seats. I'd call and speak with a rep just to clear up some of those basics.
That is true and a good point. Yes, there are airbags in the BE seats on the 777s. Recommend that the OP contact DL to see if there are any issues with regard to this.

Last edited by FlyDeltaJets87; Nov 20, 2012 at 7:16 am
Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all those replied and provided tips. I'll call to get a clarification on the airbag issue.

After hearing all your opinions, I'm tempted to choose 7D. The only concern right now is the SeatGuru review on 7D: "there is a crew rest directly behind the partition which may be disturbing". What is this crew rest for, sleeping or just sitting during take-off and landing? I hope we would not disturb any crew sleeping there.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
I've flown with an infant in arms on a 77L and found 7A and 7D to be good. The extra flat surface for putting things on will help when you are juggling all the baby accessories with which you will be traveling. The fact that it is also the most "private" because of the wall behind you (14A and D also) means that you can contain the spread of any screaming if you lie the seat flat and put the baby near the headrest portion. It's also near the galley and emergency exit which are spaces you can walk into if you need to do some bouncing/rocking/singing where there won't be other passengers to bother (just be respectful of and defer to crew especially during meal prep and service).

The other good thing about row 7 is that the lavatory next to 7D is the only BE lav with a pull-down changing table. The 2 forward lavs don't have changing tables nor is there room anywhere in those lavs to change the baby. As a fellow parent I implore you, DO NOT change the baby (even if it's just pee) at your seat or anywhere except in the lav!

If the pressure change causes discomfort/screaming, sucking on something, preferably that delivers liquid (like a breast) should help a lot.

Some may suggest giving Benadryl to put them to sleep. I personally would not drug my child to sleep but I understand the thought process. If you choose to try this, test it out in advance of the flight as it can have the opposite effect in infants!

At five months old it may be less important to keep them entertained but when they reach the age that they need to be entertained bring plenty of toys and books so they don't get bored. Bring a few new toys and books they've never had as surprises for them and give a new one every few hours, this keeps them occupied. Worked like a charm for me.

If they are eating any solid food or formula be sure to bring a full supply for the flight time plus some extra in case of delays or whatnot. Same for diapers and supplies. If you are pumping be aware that although there are power plugs they don't always work well with motorized devices such as pumps especially those that weren't made in the USA. Have some pre-pumped, you can take an unlimited amount of breast milk through security. Don't rely on the airline to have anything for the baby!

There are no bassinet attachments in BE. The bassinets are pretty small anyway. An infant will sleep fine in a BE seat that is laid flat though you may need to use some extra blankets/pillows to prevent them slipping in turbulence.

Don't listen to the people trying to get you to buy an extra seat. There is no need to do so for a child under 2 unless you want them to have their own seat. If you are willing to hold the infant for that long it works just fine. Be aware however that the infant in arms ticket costs 10% of the J fare which can be expensive, it was give or take $1000 when I did it.

I used to do the HKG-DTW flight twice a year in BE with an infant in arms (man I miss that flight) and they did just fine. Yours will too, just be calm and patient. Be considerate of other passengers. I mentioned above not to change the baby except in a lav. Also try your best to calm the crying ASAP (I know how hard it is!) or during crying move to an area like the galley where you are bothering as few passengers as possible. There are always people on flights who don't like children and don't think they should be brought into BE. But DL allows them there and you have every right to be there with the baby so don't take any guff from other passengers and complain to the FA if they get in your face (never happened to me but saw it happen to others), BUT always try your best not to bother or inconvenience other passengers. If the flight attendants see that you are trying your best on this they are going to appreciate it and help you out more and will also be more likely to deflect the complaints of other passengers if any.

Please post more questions or PM me if you like.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by HongKonger
I've flown with an infant in arms on a 77L and found 7A and 7D to be good. The extra flat surface for putting things on will help when you are juggling all the baby accessories with which you will be traveling. The fact that it is also the most "private" because of the wall behind you (14A and D also) means that you can contain the spread of any screaming if you lie the seat flat and put the baby near the headrest portion. It's also near the galley and emergency exit which are spaces you can walk into if you need to do some bouncing/rocking/singing where there won't be other passengers to bother (just be respectful of and defer to crew especially during meal prep and service).

The other good thing about row 7 is that the lavatory next to 7D is the only BE lav with a pull-down changing table. The 2 forward lavs don't have changing tables nor is there room anywhere in those lavs to change the baby. As a fellow parent I implore you, DO NOT change the baby (even if it's just pee) at your seat or anywhere except in the lav!

If the pressure change causes discomfort/screaming, sucking on something, preferably that delivers liquid (like a breast) should help a lot.

Some may suggest giving Benadryl to put them to sleep. I personally would not drug my child to sleep but I understand the thought process. If you choose to try this, test it out in advance of the flight as it can have the opposite effect in infants!

At five months old it may be less important to keep them entertained but when they reach the age that they need to be entertained bring plenty of toys and books so they don't get bored. Bring a few new toys and books they've never had as surprises for them and give a new one every few hours, this keeps them occupied. Worked like a charm for me.

If they are eating any solid food or formula be sure to bring a full supply for the flight time plus some extra in case of delays or whatnot. Same for diapers and supplies. If you are pumping be aware that although there are power plugs they don't always work well with motorized devices such as pumps especially those that weren't made in the USA. Have some pre-pumped, you can take an unlimited amount of breast milk through security. Don't rely on the airline to have anything for the baby!

There are no bassinet attachments in BE. The bassinets are pretty small anyway. An infant will sleep fine in a BE seat that is laid flat though you may need to use some extra blankets/pillows to prevent them slipping in turbulence.

Don't listen to the people trying to get you to buy an extra seat. There is no need to do so for a child under 2 unless you want them to have their own seat. If you are willing to hold the infant for that long it works just fine. Be aware however that the infant in arms ticket costs 10% of the J fare which can be expensive, it was give or take $1000 when I did it.

I used to do the HKG-DTW flight twice a year in BE with an infant in arms (man I miss that flight) and they did just fine. Yours will too, just be calm and patient. Be considerate of other passengers. I mentioned above not to change the baby except in a lav. Also try your best to calm the crying ASAP (I know how hard it is!) or during crying move to an area like the galley where you are bothering as few passengers as possible. There are always people on flights who don't like children and don't think they should be brought into BE. But DL allows them there and you have every right to be there with the baby so don't take any guff from other passengers and complain to the FA if they get in your face (never happened to me but saw it happen to others), BUT always try your best not to bother or inconvenience other passengers. If the flight attendants see that you are trying your best on this they are going to appreciate it and help you out more and will also be more likely to deflect the complaints of other passengers if any.

Please post more questions or PM me if you like.
^ on ONLY changing the infant in the lav.

I didn't think about complaining to the FA if a passenger would give me a hassle. While my kids never flew in first class as an infant, a passenger gave my wife a hard time when she flew in First Class with 2 cats one time.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Thanks to all those replied and provided tips. I'll call to get a clarification on the airbag issue.

After hearing all your opinions, I'm tempted to choose 7D. The only concern right now is the SeatGuru review on 7D: "there is a crew rest directly behind the partition which may be disturbing". What is this crew rest for, sleeping or just sitting during take-off and landing? I hope we would not disturb any crew sleeping there.
I'm pretty sure it's just the F/As jumpseats, as the second set of boarding and service doors are right behind row 7. 7A or 7D will be a good choice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.