Wiki Posts
Search

Long domestic routes w no TV

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Diamond Marriott Plat Prem
Long domestic routes w no TV

Ive noticed delta is running long domestic routes like LGA-DEN w old a320's. Why put such an old bird w zero entertainment on a 3-4 hour flight?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:46 pm

Delta also offers flights from JFK and with JetBlue, Frontier, and United (not sure about Southwest) also on NYC-DEN the yields are not that great. What is worse is when JFK-SEA/SAN are operated by 737's without PTV or I have seen 5500 757's on ATL-LAX
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:56 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
On many of my SEA-ATL and back, there are "last minute" plane swaps to older planes without IFE. It's even more frustrating when I am selecting some Sunday flights with plans to watch football.
I wish Delta would not advertise the IFE so instead of being disappointed at the last minute switch, I'd be pleasantly surprised when it actually happens.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
UA does the same thing. But when you think of it now do some world class foreign carriers. A321's w no IFE at all are being used by LH on some CAI & TLV flights. BA is doing the same to DME
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:04 pm
EZE

Programs: All of em more or less
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
UA does the same thing. But when you think of it now do some world class foreign carriers. A321's w no IFE at all are being used by LH on some CAI & TLV flights. BA is doing the same to DME
Except DL has wifi on all domestic - UA will eventually catch up but for now, DL has got the edge. Now if Only they could work on bandwidth...
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

I just hope Delta gets it together and keeps going "up"!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
I've taken plenty of long domestic flights with zero entertainment ...
LAX-TPA
LAX-DTW
LAX-CVG
LAX-MSP

And the kicker, because it was broken from before we even left the gate ...
LAX-SYD
(yes, I'm aware that's not domestic, but just had to vent.)

Last edited by Oakshadow; Sep 19, 2012 at 9:17 pm Reason: sp
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oakshadow
I've taken plenty of long domestic flights with zero entertainment ...
LAX-TPA
LAX-DTW
LAX-CVG
LAX-MSP

And the the kicker, because it was broken from before we even left the gate ...
LAX-SYD
(yes, I'm aware that's not domestic, but just had to vent.)
Lax -syd with nada? Don't they know all we want is a little tv and a free drink to pass the time?
Old Sep 29, 2012, 4:22 am

Programs: DL GM
MIA-LAX / LAX-MIA are pretty much always run with no IFE. 737-800 or sometimes A320. Admittedly a long/thin route (on DL anyway) and runs only once a day, but I seem to recall when this flight went out of FLL instead of MIA that it would sometimes get an ex-Song 757 with IFE.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 7:19 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
It is a little silly, isn't it? Last weekend, I flew PHX-DTW without so much as a radio to keep my ears busy.

My fianc (who absolutely hates flying, BTW) makes sure to point out whenever I say something complementary about DL that at least he knows he can watch Sports Center on every single flight he takes on B6. Surely if B6 can provide IFE on a $69 BOS-PIT fare, DL should be able to do it on at least the >1500 mile routes.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by eturowski
It is a little silly, isn't it? Last weekend, I flew PHX-DTW without so much as a radio to keep my ears busy.

My fianc (who absolutely hates flying, BTW) makes sure to point out whenever I say something complementary about DL that at least he knows he can watch Sports Center on every single flight he takes on B6. Surely if B6 can provide IFE on a $69 BOS-PIT fare, DL should be able to do it on at least the >1500 mile routes.
Well not every single flight on B6. The problem with > 1500 miles having TV is that on certain routes that the 737-800, for example, is used on is close to the maximum range when you also factor in altitude, winds, etc. and the weight of the IFE system would prevent all of the necessary fuel, passengers, and/or cargo from being loaded. There are some routes that cannot fill a 757 (or would not be economical on a 757) that work on the 737 which Delta would have to axe. It is also worth mentioning that it is not cheap to retrofit aircraft with PTV and some 757, for example, are not worth it. N602DL, which is still flying for Delta, is the 39th 757 and over 28 years old. When the next aircraft order comes in '602' will likely be going to the great airport in the sky
Old Sep 29, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Add a few of the LAS-ATL (and vv) flights on those nasty, old 757s with absolutely nothing. Many times I've had seatmates who were very dismayed. One guy actually offered to 'rent' my ipad :-0.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 8:45 am

Given most of the domestic IFE is overhead I don't understand why anyone cares. I'd take my iPad or even iPod any day. PTVs with LiveTV is another matter, but very few planes in DLs fleet have it.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: Skyteam
DTW-SLC
ATL-TUS

Not even overheard tv.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by motytrah
Given most of the domestic IFE is overhead I don't understand why anyone cares. I'd take my iPad or even iPod any day. PTVs with LiveTV is another matter, but very few planes in DLs fleet have it.
+1

I bring my own -- usually a book or two and I don't have to worry about turning it on on and off depending on what altitude we're at.

Bob H

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.