Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long domestic routes w no TV

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2012, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Many LAX-ATL do not have IFE (some 757's)
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by motytrah
Given most of the domestic IFE is overhead I don't understand why anyone cares. I'd take my iPad or even iPod any day. PTVs with LiveTV is another matter, but very few planes in DLs fleet have it.
There are a lot of DL planes with personal IFE on domestic routes and one of the options includes live satellite TV.
My issue is that the routes/flights that they advertise as having it ending up having equipment swaps.
However, currently I am 4 of my last 4 flights with the personal IFE. I think it's my longest streak.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:33 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
BA is doing the same to DME
Actually this is no longer correct.

BA now offers longhaul classes of service including AVOD on all flights to DME.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Many LAX-ATL do not have IFE (some 757's)
Every flight between LAX & ATL, sans 767-300/ER, is scheduled on equipment with PTVs. Although it's common for overhead video-equipped 757 to swap for those with PTVs, it's not common on this particular route. And appearances by the ex-NW 5500-series are very rare. Thus, "many" is a harsh overstatement and "occasionally" more proper.

Meanwhile, it's common for 5500-series 757 to operate DTW-LAX and MSP-LAX, and the aircraft are regulars between DTW and MSP to places like LAS, PHX, etc.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
JFK-LAS was regularly equipped with IFE when almost all the flights they ran were with the old Song 757s. They then changed it to so that most were 737 with TV. Now almost all flights are 737s without TVs.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I'm sure DL schedules planes primarily to match demand, maximize yield, minimize downtime, use its crews most efficiently, and ensure required maintenance is performed. Availability of IFE, or passenger comfort in general, is a minor consideration at best. That's why you get A320s on LGA-DEN and earlier this year I had a 757 with BE seats and full AVOD on ATL-AUS.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Stripe
I'm sure DL schedules planes primarily to match demand, maximize yield, minimize downtime, use its crews most efficiently, and ensure required maintenance is performed. Availability of IFE, or passenger comfort in general, is a minor consideration at best. That's why you get A320s on LGA-DEN and earlier this year I had a 757 with BE seats and full AVOD on ATL-AUS.
No doubt your observation is correct, but DL has intentionally attempted to keep a more premium product in ATL, hence the reluctance to use 744 to NRT until refurbishment. AVOD-equipped 757 bounce between ATL & Florida (and not just "in between" mid-continental flights but literally bouncing around) yet ex-NW 5500-series aircraft perform MSP-Florida.

Originally Posted by FlyAO2
JFK-LAS was regularly equipped with IFE when almost all the flights they ran were with the old Song 757s. They then changed it to so that most were 737 with TV. Now almost all flights are 737s without TVs.
Every DL 737 is equipped with TVs, either overhead or personal.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by motytrah
Given most of the domestic IFE is overhead I don't understand why anyone cares. I'd take my iPad or even iPod any day. PTVs with LiveTV is another matter, but very few planes in DLs fleet have it.
Overhead IFE still means that your seat will have audio. This is a far bigger deal to me, as at the gate and above 10k I can entertain myself. But when the typical time between door close and 10k ft is at least 45 minutes out of ATL, I'd like to have something to listen to while electronics must be shut off.

Plus I was able to watch 3 AVOD movies on a 1:45 flight a few weeks ago thanks to a 4 hour delay leaving JFK, mostly spent on the tarmac while electronics had to be off.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by dcline414
Plus I was able to watch 3 AVOD movies on a 1:45 flight a few weeks ago thanks to a 4 hour delay leaving JFK, mostly spent on the tarmac while electronics had to be off.
Luck you. When my flight was delayed several hours on the tarmac, I got to watch a rotation of advertisements (Lincoln, etc.).
Old Sep 29, 2012, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't think you will see DL or anybody doing much of a spend on the current generation IFE. It's expensive, weights a lot (weight costs fuel costs $), is tempermental and more and more people use their own devices.

The focus is on streaming content to the pax own device such as an iPad. Cheaper, weighs little and, when it breaks, you pop the defective unit out and pop a new one in.

As to why DL swaps in aircraft w/o IFE, imagine the rants on FT if the GA announcement was, "sorry, folks, but the aircraft has gone MX and the three other aircraft available to get you to your destination aren't IFE-equipped so we're cancelling. Hope none of you were traveling for a reason other than watching Casper the Ghost."
Old Sep 29, 2012, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Don't think you will see DL or anybody doing much of a spend on the current generation IFE. It's expensive, weights a lot (weight costs fuel costs $), is tempermental and more and more people use their own devices.

The focus is on streaming content to the pax own device such as an iPad. Cheaper, weighs little and, when it breaks, you pop the defective unit out and pop a new one in.
+1. We'll likely see the FAA allow electronics the entire time (perhaps sans phones), because the airlines are all pushing for this.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Oh. No

Such a shame. You need professionals help.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL EOS...
In this world of tablets IFE is doomed IMO and rightfully so. I record and load tons of TV programming to catch up on. Wifi is actually useful. IFE TV is so spotty even when equipped I find it more nuisance than benefit.

And while dumping on IFE the new OS is absolutely horrible! Flight tracker useless and the rest is a bunch of laggy screens, no thanks...
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL DM
Lots of NYC- SEA without inflight, and recently JFK-MEX with no IFE and JFK-BOG with no IFE, doing ATL-quito tomorrow, we'll see how it goes!
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:55 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
LAX-MCO is the longest I'm aware of... I think MIA is always a reconfigured 738.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.