Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long domestic routes w no TV

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott TE, and Reformed AMEX Cent
IFE is all about live tv for me. I love watching CNBC during a weekday day flight and love watching sports on the weekends.

This weekend I flew B6 JFK-LAS because of their live TV. I was able to watch a college football game (Washington upset #8 Stanford) on Thur night and then today I flipped between the Ryder Cup (what a disaster) and the NFL.

Watching a 4 hour football game is a great way to make a 5 hour flight seem short.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, AS MVPG, Hyatt DIA, PC PLAT, Club Carl Gold, HH Gold, Accor Dia
Originally Posted by Harlem
IFE is all about live tv for me. I love watching CNBC during a weekday day flight and love watching sports on the weekends....

Watching a 4 hour football game is a great way to make a 5 hour flight seem short.
+1 nothing better on a transcon.

Originally Posted by Stripe
I'm sure DL schedules planes primarily to match demand, maximize yield, minimize downtime, use its crews most efficiently, and ensure required maintenance is performed. Availability of IFE, or passenger comfort in general, is a minor consideration at best. That's why you get A320s on LGA-DEN and earlier this year I had a 757 with BE seats and full AVOD on ATL-AUS.
ATL-MSY makes -AUS look long a longhaul. A 757 with live tv is a fine perk for an hr flight.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:56 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by DRINKMOREWATER
I just hope Delta gets it together and keeps going "up"!
Well... mileage requirements have been going UP. Does that count?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bagels
Every flight between LAX & ATL, sans 767-300/ER, is scheduled on equipment with PTVs. Although it's common for overhead video-equipped 757 to swap for those with PTVs, it's not common on this particular route. And appearances by the ex-NW 5500-series are very rare. Thus, "many" is a harsh overstatement and "occasionally" more proper.

Meanwhile, it's common for 5500-series 757 to operate DTW-LAX and MSP-LAX, and the aircraft are regulars between DTW and MSP to places like LAS, PHX, etc.
I guess many was a poor choice of words and that my experience was just poor luck then.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Bagels
Captive hub? ATL? Seriously? You and I must be traveling from a different ATL airport! The one I utilize has tons of AirTran jets and oversized Delta-branded signs all over that say "Atlanta's hometown airline." ATL has the most competition, by far, of any trunk DL hub.

In all seriousness, when you look at the DL schedule, nearly all of the flights to the Mountain & Pacific Time Zones -- sans LAS & PHX -- are scheduled with AVOD-equipped aircraft. Compare that to about half at DTW, and just a few at MSP (in fact, many of these flights at MSP no longer have any IFE at all; in fairness, these flights are significantly shorter than those from ATL & DTW).
I looked at the scheduled equipment for most of the long domestic routes I've flown and see what you mean. However, my personal experience has been that I've only had AVOD on 2-3 Delta flights out of ATL, once on ATL-ORD, once JFK-ATL, and once ATL-SEA (the only one that makes sense).

I'm not sure if the non-AVOD flights are cheaper (or flights with AVOD sell out of discounted fares faster), and thus I end up booking the cheapest flights that lack personal video, or if I just get unlucky with the routes/times I've flown long distance flights. Granted I don't fly very many 3+ hour flights, but when I do they usually just have overhead video.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 1:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Last year I flew DTW-SFO in a 320 and that was a long, unpleasant flight I really could have used a PTV on.

This year my longest has been SFO-MSP in an MD-90. Thankfully, that was a redeye I slept through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.