Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Oddest Conversation with a fellow PAX in F yesterday...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oddest Conversation with a fellow PAX in F yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:21 pm

Programs: DL-KRYPTONIUM, DL-PM, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Club Carlson Silver, Hyatt Plat.
Originally Posted by Zomba
I looked up the definitive thread (under the FAQ sticky), and it looks like there isn't a definitive answer. Robert Leach claims the definition that I take, and some mods (Cholula/Carnasie) believe the Flying Orchid story (as shown in the first post)

What is an FO?
If you prefer "Flys Often" or "Flies Often," that is fine with me. I can live with that. And I'll probably have to live with that literally -- looks like I'm going to be a FO next year. I usually do NYC-Las 10x per year with a TATL or two thrown in. This year maybe I'll be 4x to Las and 1 TATL.
I actually think the best definition for FO is "False Optimism."

Last edited by Josephmay; Apr 9, 2012 at 11:34 pm
Old Apr 10, 2012, 2:46 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by will2288
I have no idea. But, for some reason that is what people on the DL forum call it.
That's how a Silver Medallion is noted on the computer print-out manifest that the GA hands the FA before the door closes.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by will2288
I have no idea. But, for some reason that is what people on the DL forum call it.
That is what people at Delta call it as well...for the same reason: to avoid confusion with the other "SM" or SkyMiles. I can assure you it was not a FT invention.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 5:56 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by pleasantsn
Flying NAS-LGA last month on a DC9, we have 1C & 1D. Companion was off shopping when the pre-boarding process started. I went to get her, then she makes a stop in the lav. FC boarding lasts all of 30 seconds, and GA calls for Zone Sky before I've had a chance to board. No breezeway at the DL gates in NAS, so I get to the back of the line, and when I make it on, I see someone has placed a book and a magazine in 1C and there is a rollaboard above 1C & 1D. I informed the FA, and then a pax comes from Y and grabs his book and magazine, leaving the rollaboard in FC. Are some people just that rude that if you missed your UG, you're still going to act like you are seated in FC?
Short answer... YES.

Call me a gate louse, but I board ASAP as to avoid said poachers, and the elusive seat change poachers.... Those that follow the matra of "possession is 9/10ths of the law".
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Does this really happen? How does no one catch this? I guess normally first class is so full, it's probably rare anyway. I just had never thought someone would just stroll on the plane and sit in first class.
Wife and I flew JAX-DTW on a Wednesday during the Christmas holiday. There were 4 or 5 empty seats, I was upgraded (PM) and she was not (FO on miles ticket). I politely asked the FA if she could sit next to me in my seat as it was open. FA said she couldn't but the bulkhead was open and she'd serve both of us as if we were in F.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:47 pm

All this talk of upgrades and F seats has me wondering if domestic airlines will follow the policies of their international brethren and allow seats in F to remain empty rather than dilute them with cheap upgrades.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by pleasantsn
...I see someone has placed a book and a magazine in 1C and there is a rollaboard above 1C & 1D. I informed the FA, and then a pax comes from Y and grabs his book and magazine, leaving the rollaboard in FC.
Uhm, why did the FA allow the roll-a-board to stay in FC? Bullsh*t. Should have made him take it back to Y. Would have taught him a lesson.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
Uhm, why did the FA allow the roll-a-board to stay in FC? Bullsh*t. Should have made him take it back to Y. Would have taught him a lesson.
Yes.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 3:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
...reminds me of a Seinfeld episode (on WN ironically )

I did have success in ATL-BZE this year in getting my companion upgraded on a half-empty MD88 by asking the GA. ^ [Friend=no status, AS elite myself]
Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
...by asking the GA. ^ [Friend=no status, AS elite myself]
You would be surprised what you can accomplish by being polite and understanding with the GA's... They have to deal with a bunch of tools on a daily basis...
Old Apr 22, 2012, 4:19 am

Location: ZRH - Zurich Switzerland. I like my local Airport. Wake-up at 0500uhr. Airside and through Security 80 minutes later after Shower, Breakfast and 10km Train ride. That is good!
Programs: Miles and More FQTV - 80% LX Swiss, 20% LH Lufthansa segments
Originally Posted by colerc
Most shameless example I've seen: a passenger helps herself to 1A. The FA comes to ask for her boarding pass, presumably seeing 1A set to be vacant on the manifest, and the passenger responds, "Oh, this isn't 13E?"
LOL! I love stories like that, we are building a File of these at my office
Old Apr 22, 2012, 6:04 am

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Originally Posted by mgoflyer
Unfortunately, I think self-entitlement is on the rise and you would see more of this if it weren't for the very heavy F loads. I guess the thinking is "If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying..."
I agree that the phenomenon is more common, but I believe it is less cunning than you make it out to be. My explanation is that the mechanism for regulating one's behavior has shifted from an internal one, based on a sense of what is appropriate (lagom, for Swedish-speakers), to an external one, based on what others will tolerate or fail to challenge. The bad behavior persists because it gets rewarding results for the actor.

This is why I get so angry with those who do not challenge others who are out of line, for they are reinforcing others' bad behavior through good old operant conditioning. In fact, I take umbrage at those who go out of their way to avoid a situation in which the possibility of a confrontation might arise; to wit, those who want to board as early as possible so as not to have to "deal with" the potential scenario of someone sitting in their assigned seat. By reducing the opportunities for confrontation (and therefore behavior correction), they are doing all of us a disservice. Neutrality is a myth. As Kierkegaard said, "you are choosing not to choose."
Old Apr 22, 2012, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dovster
I think that by "FO" the poster was referring to a Silver Medallion, not a First Officer, but I could be wrong.
Originally Posted by striker008
Correct, he was a SM.
Delta actually prints FO on their receipts. I was surprised when I saw it last week, now that my wife is an FO I always thought it was thing of the distant past, but it looks like it is still being used by Delta.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Last week I was flying FLL-JFK and I had called Delta to not get upgraded on the outbound flight since two of my friends were in the back (different PNR). When I got to the sky club, they asked if I didn't want an upgrade. I said no thanks and took a seat. 10 minutes later I get called to the desk - apparently the gate called and asked if I wanted an upgrade. I once again declined, but was asked if I was travelling with someone. Said yes, the other two people in row 12. 5 Minutes later I get called back to the desk and was asked if 3D and 4CD would be OK if they upgraded all of us. I had the V on my boarding pass, the two friends of mine had their coach Q on it but the FC seat numbers. The flight was pretty full and Y was quite possibly oversold. Either way, I felt all important - normally hoping for an upgrade and in this case DL really doing anything imaginable to get me out of coach.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
what route did the OP fly?

On an AF flight once, this guy moves himself from coach to Business before take-off. He was told if he didnt go back to his seat, that the plane would return to the gate and he would be removed from the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.