Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Oddest Conversation with a fellow PAX in F yesterday...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oddest Conversation with a fellow PAX in F yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Right now, I'm in F (Gogo) where there are four empty seats, including, thankfully, the one next to me. This is my third flight this week with empty seats. IMO, this is a March-April phenomenon.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Jazzop
I agree that the phenomenon is more common, but I believe it is less cunning than you make it out to be. My explanation is that the mechanism for regulating one's behavior has shifted from an internal one, based on a sense of what is appropriate (lagom, for Swedish-speakers), to an external one, based on what others will tolerate or fail to challenge. The bad behavior persists because it gets rewarding results for the actor.

This is why I get so angry with those who do not challenge others who are out of line, for they are reinforcing others' bad behavior through good old operant conditioning. In fact, I take umbrage at those who go out of their way to avoid a situation in which the possibility of a confrontation might arise; to wit, those who want to board as early as possible so as not to have to "deal with" the potential scenario of someone sitting in their assigned seat. By reducing the opportunities for confrontation (and therefore behavior correction), they are doing all of us a disservice. Neutrality is a myth. As Kierkegaard said, "you are choosing not to choose."
One of the best posts I have ever seen on FT. Please PM me if you'll ever be in HKG, I'll buy you a drink or three.

Was it Kierkegaard or Dick van Patten who said, "If you label me, you negate me?"
Old Apr 22, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Was it Kierkegaard or Dick van Patten who said, "If you label me, you negate me?"
I'll shoot from the hip and guess the former. It's curious, though-- we have labels like kettle, gate louse, and Sheena, yet these folks are far from being negated.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:52 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Delta SC
Originally Posted by beckoa
...reminds me of a Seinfeld episode (on WN ironically )
I too was thinking of the Seinfeld episode; its amusing when Elaine tries to sneak up front but the FA doesn't let her

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.