Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2012, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
Very nice post. I too am most concerned about the transition and how things switch over if they do opt to go with the revenue based rewards program. I don't mind the idea of a revenue based program and I have always wondered why airlines haven't gone that route from the get go. What scares me is what happens to the 1+ million miles that I have? I would hope that if the program is going to switch over January 1 to the new earning system that we would get some communication soon and be made aware of the conversion process or how much more time we have to redeem the miles we have.

At the end of the day I think I'm a pretty rational person so you can flame me if you want but I've always thought that it was pretty sad that I could buy a LAX-JNB ticket as a DM and pay $1000-1500 and earn over 45k miles for the trip. Even with horrible redemption rates (as people often complain about) that is good enough for a mid-level award ticket in the US or a FC ticket in the US at low level or a flight at low level to northern South America. I just think that is nuts. I fly one trip and get one free. A domestic US ticket for 40,000 miles probably is worth anywhere from $300-800 (depending on when you book), a FC domestic ticket at low level probably is worth $700-1200 and a ticket to northern South America is probably around $600-1500. This is just one example of why I think the mileage system is severely flawed and too rewarding.

Revenue based makes things more clear, consistent and predictable, if it truly goes to a rebate type system you cannot complain about award redemption, youll only be able to complain about airfares. Seems from a customer service standpoint that after the initial pushback it would require much less maintenance and see far fewer complaints....especially if the other legacies go the same route which I'm sure would happen within the 12-24 months after DL does (if they do).
Most people don't know how to construct the fare though to get close to MPM.
Even if they know how, looking for T fares can be a challenge at times.
There's no such thing as too rewarding.
Besides, then the kettles can subsidize our reward tickets.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: DM
Originally Posted by blug
I'm also on course for DM (already booked over 11K MQM this year). But now that I genuinely feel like I'm a ham sandwich, I'm going to switch all remaining trips to AA and start burning my 600+K skypesos.

I also canceled my DL AMEX reserve card and got a portion of the annual fee back.
The frontal lobe controls emotion. I'm not sure which part of the brain houses rational thinking.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Most people don't know how to construct the fare though to get close to MPM.
Even if they know how, looking for T fares can be a challenge at times.
There's no such thing as too rewarding.
Besides, then the kettles can subsidize our reward tickets.
It takes no creativity to do what I just posted. LAX-ATL-JNB rt will give you over 20k RDMs plus the 125% DM bonus gives you over 45k. I'm sure some FTer could figure out a way to construct a wacky itinerary from LAX-JNB that would give a DM well over 50k RDMs but its a long enough trip as it is flying the normal one stop routing. And I would argue there is such thing as too rewarding. Giving away a free domestic F ticket for paying a $1000 rt LAX-JNB coach ticket definitely borders that for me. When DL has the double and triple mile promos you can sometimes find cheap flights internationally and walk away with close to 100k miles (i know they may be hard to find but do exist) which can in turn be used for a BE ticket internationally....that to me is too rewarding. But YMMV
Old Mar 25, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by mnredfox
While still in rumor phase (which of course this could go on a long time), anyone nervous about piling up rollover MQM's as a result of this?

I'm about to cross over the DM threshold but instead of building up rollover, I'm thinking about doing a UA challenge for 1K and staying there the rest of the year if this is true.

Anyone else in the same boat?
With flights I have booked (and paid for since I am one of those scum who spend $10K+ a year of my own money on LUT fares) I will be within spitting distance of requalifying for DM. If there is no news one way or the other by June or so I will look elsewhere (since a match/challenge then will generally take one thru Feb 2014).

Dear Old Mom lives in ATL so a couple of visits there on DL would put me over -- but then again I used to fly LAX-MSP-ATL with no problem so LAX-DEN/IAH-ATL or LAX-DFW-ATL or even LAX-PHX-LAX would be a piece of cake.

With my pattern, being LAX based, my only non-stop it to ATL --or AMS on the KLM codeshare. On AA or UA I could do direct to LHR (which I do once a year) or on the UA/LH codeshare to FRA (multiple times a year). I also fly to ZHR once or twice a year so LX (*A) works there as well. Oh, and occasions flights to the Great White North to visit relatives so AX (also *A) works -- some of them wonder why I haven't visited in the past couple years as DL canceled some of the NW flights I used to take...

It is a shame because I have come to like the on-board Delta service (outside of JFK based international crews) -- it's the website (where I was twice charged $300+ more from the fare I accepted when I clicked "purchase") and the untrustworthiness of the corporation in general.

I know you Delta die hards don't want to hear this, but in all the years of NW I never got a response from a TTU that was non-sensical. With DL I never have gotten a response that made sense -- until at least the 2nd try and mostly the 3rd. I'm sure I'm towards the low end of the DM "value score" but I would still think that rates a human reading my questions/complaints. I average about one non-praise TTU a year -- and I never have received any miles or vouchers due to a complaint in 25+ years of NW/DL flying. I did get 2500 miles for helping a FA verify that GoGo wasn't working on a JFK-LAX flight last year -- unsolicited on my part, I was happy to help and the only "service recovery" I can remember. I'm including this only to rebut those who will say I'm one of the complainers who are causing mileage inflation.

If I don't see a clear statement from Delta by the end of June that status earned in 2012 will be honored in 2013 -- under the current rules -- then I will be gone. Yes, it's only $10K or so a year but it is all money that I earn (no expense account for me) and I will not give it to a company that I cannot trust -- and recent history has used up any benefit of the doubt they may have.

I'm sure my self-inflated worth comes from a conversation with a NW exec many years ago -- those based in MSP/DTW/MEM had little choice -- somebody not hub captive was valued because it was an explicit choice on my part.

</rant off> too many excellent Franconian beers this evening

Added: I usually don't wear tin foil hats but as one who occasionally as redeemed SM for AF J (and once used an SWU to upgrade to J) this "IT glitch" is disconcerting. If it really was an "IT glitch" that wouldn't preclude a DL agent of a certain level calling an AF agent to get it done -- especially for a member of the nominal top one or two tiers of elites. This says to be that either AF is unwilling to accept what DL is offering or DL is unwilling to pay what AF requires. I don't have a problem with that but we should be told.

Last edited by TheMadBrewer; Mar 25, 2012 at 5:18 pm Reason: Left off my tin foil hat.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
I barely fly any UA and it's always on G, L, K, S fares.
I am not a lunatic.
You seem like one because you don't seem to have many friends here.

I think a lot of posters actually like having Bubbashow around for the contrarian viewpoint. He stirs the pot a bit but does represent the exact opposite of what most people here want relative revenue vs mileage based programs. The arguments he makes are solid just not popular.

I do not think he was calling you a lunatic or freak just that in general and when contrasted against the rest of the flying public...we are a bit to one side of center.

Anyway, if we were all saying the same thing this would be a pretty boring discussion board..
Old Mar 25, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
It takes no creativity to do what I just posted. LAX-ATL-JNB rt will give you over 20k RDMs plus the 125% DM bonus gives you over 45k. I'm sure some FTer could figure out a way to construct a wacky itinerary from LAX-JNB that would give a DM well over 50k RDMs but its a long enough trip as it is flying the normal one stop routing. And I would argue there is such thing as too rewarding. Giving away a free domestic F ticket for paying a $1000 rt LAX-JNB coach ticket definitely borders that for me. When DL has the double and triple mile promos you can sometimes find a flight for $600-800 internationally and walk away with 100k miles (i know they may be hard to find but do exist) which can in turn be used for a BE ticket internationally....that to me is too rewarding. But YMMV
But that's pretty rediculous, isn't it?
-First off the fares all seem to be $1500-2200, not $1000-1500, for non-ref Y.
-One way itineraries range from 22-45hrs
-Round trip BIS time is at a minimum 45hrs

From 5pm Friday through noon Sunday you spend all but 6hrs in a coach seat.

What diamond has the time and desire to do that with a weekend? I really don't think Delta is too worried about that situation.

As to the 2x 3x miles promos, and in fact the 125% Diamond RDM bonus- nobody makes Delta do that. I'd be far happier having a smaller RDM bonus and no stupid promos in exchange for always being able to grab low mileage awards...
Old Mar 25, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
Bubba you really need to stop with the name calling, this time you are calling people "kooks" can't you try to make a poin with out that?
Nothing was addressed specifically at anyone. I know FOR A FACT that DL looks at this board as more fringe than their mainstream Medallions. That's all I'm saying. DL identified me off this board....I am sure that many of you can be identified as well.

Everyone is entitled to express their opinions...including me.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 5:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
I had a very interesting email this afternoon from AmEx...called them earlier in the week seeking their comments and to see if they would bite and confirm changes. They transferred me to their travel line who recommended I send an email to an internal person there who they believed might know more.

My questions: are there changes coming that would effect miles and specifically MQMs earned as an AmEx cardholder; how vested is AmEx in the decision-making process at DL since the program are integrated; in the event there are changes, how will gained miles from AmEx be valued/converted?

Without cutting and pasting the response, it basically says the following:

1. They have no comment on changes coming in the SM program. However, the message says that AmEx has no plans to change the way that MQMs are accumulated with their cards or the value of those MQMs and the email specifically says that "mileage may continued to be redeemed for award travel beginning at 25,000 eligible miles per round trip for domestic travel within the United States." (part of me wants to respond and ask how to find those tix now!)

2. The message specifically says that the AmEx-DL partnership may be modified at any time with mutual agreement between both parties.

So, while there are no clear answers, it makes me wonder if we will continue to accrue SMs the same way and at the same rate that we have historically or if 25,000 miles may have a completely different meaning and value in the new SM program.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Nothing was addressed specifically at anyone. I know FOR A FACT that DL looks at this board as more fringe than their mainstream Medallions. That's all I'm saying. DL identified me off this board....I am sure that many of you can be identified as well.

Everyone is entitled to express their opinions...including me.
I'm not taking them away from you. I can, however, criticize them.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Anyway, if we were all saying the same thing this would be a pretty boring discussion board..
Bull.

You can hold contrary viewpoints but not be hyperbolically obnoxious and rude. In my opinion he doesn't seek to contribute, just get a rise out of others.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It takes no creativity to do what I just posted. LAX-ATL-JNB rt will give you over 20k RDMs plus the 125% DM bonus gives you over 45k. I'm sure some FTer could figure out a way to construct a wacky itinerary from LAX-JNB that would give a DM well over 50k RDMs but its a long enough trip as it is flying the normal one stop routing. And I would argue there is such thing as too rewarding. Giving away a free domestic F ticket for paying a $1000 rt LAX-JNB coach ticket definitely borders that for me. When DL has the double and triple mile promos you can sometimes find cheap flights internationally and walk away with close to 100k miles (i know they may be hard to find but do exist) which can in turn be used for a BE ticket internationally....that to me is too rewarding. But YMMV
They could introduce restrictions with the promos, such as L+ class only
Old Mar 25, 2012, 5:21 pm

I'm not taking them away from you. I can, however, criticize them.
For the first time in this thread, you and I completely agree =-). Really...I'm not a bad guy. I just hate what "elite" has become.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mother-
Bull.

You can hold contrary viewpoints but not be hyperbolically obnoxious and rude. In my opinion he doesn't seek to contribute, just get a rise out of others.
Exactly. He had treated me as if I do not deserve any status on any airline.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 5:28 pm

Bull.

I contribute to a VERY real side on this board. You choose to ignore it, but I have received NUMEROUS PMs from many that agree with me. However, this board is about DL, not me....so move on, nothing to look at here.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
But that's pretty rediculous, isn't it?
-First off the fares all seem to be $1500-2200, not $1000-1500, for non-ref Y.
-One way itineraries range from 22-45hrs
-Round trip BIS time is at a minimum 45hrs

From 5pm Friday through noon Sunday you spend all but 6hrs in a coach seat.

What diamond has the time and desire to do that with a weekend? I really don't think Delta is too worried about that situation.
Fares have been $1000-1500 in the past two years....I have flown the route several times...right now all airfares are higher. And I was not strictly talking about MRs, I am talking about taking THAT trip. I don't think I would ever consider doing a weekend in Y with only a couple hrs in JNB....thats a bit ridiculous. I don't have the time or desire to fly an intl MR like that.......so I think you missed the point of my post. I think DL probably does worry about what I just pointed out...otherwise they wouldn't be considering a revenue based FF program.

To possibly help you better understand here is a scenario:

A:
Happy Delta Flyer buys a J class ticket LAX-LHR for $8,000. As a DM Happy Delta Flyer earns 16,066 flown miles, 8,033 Class of Service Bonus miles and 20,083 DM bonus miles for a total of 44,182 total RDMs.

B:
Happy Delta Flyers buys a T class ticket LAX-JNB for $1,500. As a DM Happy Delta Flyer earns 20,770 flown miles and 25,963 DM bonus miles for a total of 46,733 total RDMs.

In scenario B Happy Delta Flyer is getting more RDMs for a lot less spend than scenario A. You can bet the house that DL wants passenger A's enjoying more benefits than passenger B's. With the current mileage based FF program it is difficult to differentiate for DL because both passengers are DMs. A revenue based FF program would address this issue.

I wish they would transition into this by just adding a 5th tier that is revenue based and then from there they could transition the program if it was a general consensus that it was a necessary action. However, with the company doing well and appearing healthy right now it is a bit of an interesting move (in my opinion). I feel many people on this boards pain and hope that it is only a rumor but from a business standpoint I understand why a revenue based program would be attractive. I guess there really is no good time to introduce it though....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.