Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K
Originally Posted by vasantn
ultra-HVCs simply don't exit in large enough numbers in the US market.
Two more obstacles that stand in DLs was to bring in more UHVCs (assuming they create a FF tier for UHVCs):
  1. Over the years DL decided to eliminate almost any incentives that could entice such a customer:
    • Your company pays J, we will give you the occasional upgrade to F -> Gone.
    • You could use your miles to fly F when you are on vacation -> Gone.
    • We have superior international product -> Almost Gone (TATL BE on 764/763T beats LH, AF and AA).
    • We have a superior transcontinental product -> Never had one
  2. Most UHVCs care about schedule more than anything else. They tend to be much less loyal.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by pitbulllover
I'm clear. That was then. The industry is not only different, but looking at business differently as it relates to what anyone considers an 'HVC'.
Your premise is incorrect... I spent a bunch of money on Airplane tickets on Delta's Big Jets over 10 years ago and even though I did not fly as many miles or segments as other people, Delta recgonized I was an asset and an HVC and offered me status accordingly. The industry has changed, but they always have made an effort to reward HVCs. What may be changing is HOW they reward them...
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: Delta DM, American GLD, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
Your premise is incorrect... I spent a bunch of money on Airplane tickets on Delta's Big Jets over 10 years ago and even though I did not fly as many miles or segments as other people, Delta recgonized I was an asset and an HVC and offered me status accordingly. The industry has changed, but they always have made an effort to reward HVCs. What may be changing is HOW they reward them...
By your admission, that was TEN years ago.

What is changing is HOW they define them (HVC). I was pretty clear in that message. That was then, but that definition, the industry and the rewards are changing, and not just in airlines.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Wrong. You clearly need to go to Economics 101.
So you claim to be this big business magnate. I've avoid boasting about my qualifications because I'd prefer my words to be able to speak for themselves without making sure people KWIA.

Part of that, I'll be blunt, is because I'm nobody. But I'm a nobody that at one time studied under a preeminent scholar in IO. So bad luck for you that you tried to throw economics in my face.

If you want to debate market definition, market segmentation, pricing power, cartels, cost structures, etc. as they relate to a high fixed cost, capital intensive, formerly regulated, oligarchic industry- let's do it.

But you're going to have to do a heck of a lot better than "Wrong. Go to skewl."
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K
I'm clear. That was then. The industry is not only different, but looking at business differently as it relates to what anyone considers an 'HVC'.
I wish it were as simple as you try to make it.
There will always be a market for Walmarts, a market for Nordstroms and a market for Sacks.
A Sacks customer will not start shopping at Walmart just because they start bringing premium products and raise their prices, but the original Walmart customers will move to Target.

No business wants the customers that game the system, alienating the road warriors that purchase a lot of last minute coach tickets may be worse.

Happy Travels
DLP
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Economics
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:55 pm
Suspended

By your admission, that was TEN years ago.

What is changing is HOW they define them (HVC). I was pretty clear in that message. That was then, but that definition, the industry and the rewards are changing, and not just in airlines.
It's like I'm playin' cards with my sister's kids here...
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:56 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I love that clip.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:56 pm

It's like I'm playin' cards with my sister's kids here...
Clearly they win each time. You make no sense.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Clearly they win each time. You make no sense.
...and I think you really think that too....
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:59 pm

And if you think that there are only 50 or 100 people in the DL market that are more profitable more than a few DMs, then you are just delusional.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 9:00 pm

...and I think you really think that too....
Because you've gone to something that has NOTHING to do with the original conversation, I do.

But, this is what this forum is mostly for, so have at it.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Economics 101. There are several courses that you can take online at your convenience.
Thanks. I actually run a business that is very similar to the airline business, except that we actually make money. We sell a product for which some people pay 6 times as much as others, depending on timing, flexibility and availability. I love my so-called low-value customers, without whom I would have no business. OTOH, I could easily survive the loss of my far fewer HVCs.

You stick to Econ 101 and I'll stick to things I actually know about.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
Thanks. I actually run a business that is very similar to the airline business, except that we actually make money. We sell a product for which some people pay 6 times as much as others, depending on timing, flexibility and availability. I love my so-called low-value customers, without whom I would have no business. OTOH, I could easily survive the loss of my far fewer HVCs.

You stick to Econ 101 and I'll stick to things I actually know about.
If you could easily survive the lost of "my far fewer HVCs" then you have defined HVC wrong.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Interesting thought:?
In most businesses your best customers pay the lowest rate, in the world of Delta they want their best customers to pay the highest rate even though it's available for sale at time of purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.