Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster
Yes, it is.

If everyone put just one realistic sized carry on in the bin, there would be room for everyone.

It is the hogs who are causing the problem and there is no reason at all that someone who has just item should remove it to accommodate those hogs.
A "board by carry on size" rule would actually be really helpful, big bags board last.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
Typical DYKWIA remark. Yawn.
DYKWIA? You have no right call anyone else that when you are the one starting threads about keeping coach passengers out of the first class restrooms.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
If everyone put just one realistic sized carry on in the bin, there would be room for everyone. It is the hogs who are causing the problem and there is no reason at all that someone who has just item should remove it to accommodate those hogs.
I agree. ^
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
DYKWIA? You have no right call anyone else that when you are the one starting threads about keeping coach passengers out of the first class restrooms.
^

BTW, I also thought the reclining at the gate question was asked in an accusatory tone making it more of an accusation framed as a question.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by theddo
A "board by carry on size" rule would actually be really helpful, big bags board last.
NWA towards the end had a policy similar to that with non status. I was on a few DTW/LGA when I had no status and after first and elites boarded, they boarded people carrying nothing, then they boarded people with items that were going under the seat and not in the bins then everyone else.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, SkyTeam Elite Plus
Thanks to all of you who stow only 1 item in the OH bin. It annoys me when coach pax stow both bags, jackets, purses, hats etc. in the OH. Can't entirely blame them for that though, airlines should always offer the 1st checked-in bag free.

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
My only carryon is a backpack and it will go in the overhead. If someone asks me to put it under my seat I just give a polite "No, it's my only carryon and it will stay in the overhead".
This is perfectly acceptable and well within one's rights.

Had a situation on a TATL when a guy, with his family, rather sternly told me to put my 10+ lb backpack under my seat since it was 'small'. Politely told him it was my only carry-on and it was not leaving the OH.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by UnaCervezaPorFavor
Had a situation on a TATL when a guy, with his family, rather sternly told me to put my 10+ lb backpack under my seat since it was 'small'. Politely told him it was my only carry-on and it was not leaving the OH.
Well, like me, you must be a DYKWIA that reclines their seat at the gate too then! That's what I've learned in this thread!
Old Jun 27, 2014, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by UnaCervezaPorFavor
+1 KUDOS ^
Old Jun 27, 2014, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
+1 KUDOS ^
Pretty sure he thought I was a rude entitled DYKWIA but my conscience is clear.

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
Well, like me, you must be a DYKWIA that reclines their seat at the gate too then! That's what I've learned in this thread!
Haha! As a matter of fact, I usually never recline my seat because I can fall asleep sitting up.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 5:22 pm

If you have your bridal gown do you get your own overhead bin???

This one intrigued me. I was on the shuttle last week in first along with Bridezilla and her gown. Bridezilla got on in front of me and asked to have the gown put in the closet but alas the closet on e170 is really not well suited to her gown so she decides to fold it in half and give it its own storage bin instead. Used an entire other overhead for her bag and a box she had. Only issue here is with one side useless on the 170 this left not much room for others. First two people who tried to use the "dress bin" she told no go and they dutifully took their bags back to coach were there was space. Third guy must not have good memories of his wedding because he was having none of the "dress bin". Told her that her dress was not entitled to a bin and basically tried to shove his bag in with her dress, Neither behaved well from that point on. He was wrecking her wedding. She was a spoiled prima donna and he felt sorry for the guy marrying her. FA tried to tell them that there was plenty of space back in coach but they both "paid" for FC and were entitled to the space in FC and were never flying delta if again if they did not get their way. Bride finally takes dress to coach and does not return. I assume she sat back there with the dress

Both had complete DYKWIA behavior. She totally had no right to expect there to be an empty bin for her dress but he could have been the bigger person and put his bag a few rows back even if was in egads COACH
Old Jun 27, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by tennessetom
If you have your bridal gown do you get your own overhead bin???

This one intrigued me. I was on the shuttle last week in first along with Bridezilla and her gown. Bridezilla got on in front of me and asked to have the gown put in the closet but alas the closet on e170 is really not well suited to her gown so she decides to fold it in half and give it its own storage bin instead. Used an entire other overhead for her bag and a box she had. Only issue here is with one side useless on the 170 this left not much room for others. First two people who tried to use the "dress bin" she told no go and they dutifully took their bags back to coach were there was space. Third guy must not have good memories of his wedding because he was having none of the "dress bin". Told her that her dress was not entitled to a bin and basically tried to shove his bag in with her dress, Neither behaved well from that point on. He was wrecking her wedding. She was a spoiled prima donna and he felt sorry for the guy marrying her. FA tried to tell them that there was plenty of space back in coach but they both "paid" for FC and were entitled to the space in FC and were never flying delta if again if they did not get their way. Bride finally takes dress to coach and does not return. I assume she sat back there with the dress

Both had complete DYKWIA behavior. She totally had no right to expect there to be an empty bin for her dress but he could have been the bigger person and put his bag a few rows back even if was in egads COACH
IMO her stowing the dress made it a third carry-on and the FA should have forced her to check one of her items, likely her bag, to the final destination. That doesn't really excuse juvenile behavior from the other passenger though.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 5:29 pm

Bridezilla

Sounds like a match made in heaven. Surprised they didn't elope to LAS and get married..
Old Jun 28, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I have removed a number of off topic posts that were personal in nature. Let me remind everyone that if the moderators deem that posts are being made to "stir the pot" and they are disruptive in nature under FT's TOS we will view them as a violation and action will be taken!

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old Jun 28, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Not on a 737-900

Yes, it is.

If everyone put just one realistic sized carry on in the bin, there would be room for everyone.

It is the hogs who are causing the problem and there is no reason at all that someone who has just item should remove it to accommodate those hogs.
While I generally agree, I recently flew a Delta 737-900, which is a giant step backwards from any 757 in comfort (coach is probably worse). The overhead bins are small. They angle sharply upward so that tall pax in the isle seats can stand up with hitting their heads.

Boarded with all the other first class pax, all of whom had REASONABLE carry-on. It was like musical chairs with luggage, and I lost. I had to put my under-size day-pack under the seat in front of me.

Still had enough leg room, so not whining about that, but if I were carrying my "slightly non-legal" roller, I would not have been happy. Maybe that makes me a "hypothetical DYKWIA."

If there is not enough bin space for a cabin of non-hogging first class pax, I can't imagine the fight for space in the main cabin!
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
+1
The day I get asked (or perhaps told) to take my only small item out of the overhead and put it at my feet is the day I'll start only using my roll-aboard that can't go under my seat, even if I don't need all the room in the roll-aboard for the contents in there. If I have two carryons, I will put one of them under the seat in front of me, but if I only have one, it's usually going in the overhead so that I can enjoy the extra legroom, especially if I'm in the aisle and getting up to access it is not an issue.
This. I fly mostly TATL or transcon, and I often check a bag so I can have the extra leg room. If I don't check, then my computer bag goes under he seat in front of me.

O/H

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.