Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2018, 3:07 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I guess the agent could have said "anyone wearing bowling shoes come to the front of the line" and then we would have had a bunch of people who know good and well that bowling shoes aren't officially a criteria used by immigration asking "hey what bowling shoes got to do with immigration"
jinglish likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Kind of a DYKWIA story, but it happened in EWR. Can I tell it here?

On the Sky Train between terminals. A stout woman with two kids and a GIGANTIC piece of luggage enters the car. These cars at EWR have small compartments. We already have a lot of people in there, so it's really tight. We get to the next stop. We all have to get out--EXCEPT giant suitcase lady. Several of us look at her meaningfully. She says to her kids, "OK, we have to let the other people out." And they stand there, completely blocking the exit, since they were last in. I say to her, "I think you're going to have to step out so that we can all get out." She and the kids comply--leaving giant suitcase blocking the middle of the car. She's smiling like she's done everyone a favor, and we're trying to figure out how to exit before the doors close.

I squeeze past this mammoth bag, and as I'm at the door, grab the bag and lift it out, saying, "Here, I'll put this back in for you when everyone's out." Giant suitcase lady glares at me and snaps, "I DON'T want my bag removed!" I've been up 20 hours at this point--I look at her (as everyone is pouting out of the car finally) and say, "Nobody can get out because of your bag--don't worry, I'll put it back for you." Which I promptly did. Ticked off at her, I say as I leave, "I'm just trying to be helpful." She finally seemed to have realized what was going on.

She's probably reporting ME as a DYKWIA somewhere.

Last edited by hotturnip; Aug 4, 2018 at 9:51 pm Reason: Punctuation
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by zitsky
I know they are different. Does CLEAR have higher priority when entering the US?
No. Clear lets you cut the precheck line.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/DM, *wood Lifetime Gold
This happened around 12 years ago on Continental. Our flight was delayed about 30 minutes coming into IAH due to inclement weather. It was a regional airline (Continental express or Copa or something like that) where there was no premium cabin. The plane lands and we are waiting on tarmac for another plane to leave our gate. After a couple minutes waiting on the tarmac, a older lady with a fur coat gets up and starts to open the overhead bin to get her baggage. The flight attendant who is the jump seat tells her to take her seat. Fur coat lady says that her gate is the next one over and since it was the airlines fault for the delay, she should be allowed to deplane (on the tarmac!) before we got to the gate so that she could make her connection. The flight attendant repeats herself to no avail. A deadheading continental pilot that was seated a few rows behind gets up and tell her sternly - "Maam, you need to take your seat fight now. This is your final warning". She keeps arguing and pilot guy gets up and physically forces her to take her seat. She gets up again and just starts yelling. "I am going to sue the airline and the pilot and the bimbo attendant (seriously who uses 'bimbo' anymore?? (even in 2006)). She literally said "Do you know who I am?" to which the deadheading pilot said "I don't care." We are met at the gate by airport police. Fur coat lady is still complaining about being mistreated by airline and how she is going to sue everybody. Police dudes roll their eyes and who then take her into custody like handcuffs and all. Fur coat lady is still fuming as she is taken off airline. Other passengers start cheering and clapping and offer to be witnesses if needed. Needless to say, she didn't make her connection. I had a feeling she hadn't flown commercial at least since 9/11 (as in she seemed the type that flew private jet) and most certainly didn't realize the crap she got herself into.

Last edited by syd999; Aug 4, 2018 at 10:39 pm
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zitsky
I'll refer you back to the story by Dave737. If Clear is domestic, why would an airport employee move someone to the front of the line, along with GE?
I'm not sure what is so confusing about Clear - it has nothing to do with deplaning, entering the US, any country's immigration, any country's customs, or baggage retrieval from the carousel. At the airport, Clear is strictly for expediting the security check point on departures from the United States that have Clear kiosks and are open at the time of your use. A customs and immigration officer, gate agent, police officer, hotel clerk, doctor, convenience store clerk, or concert usher has absolutely nothing to do with the program.

Furthermore if you were wondering Clear has nothing to do with buying coffee, playing sports, driving a car, or having a job (Fun Fact: You can use Clear kiosk at the 2018 MLB All Star Game, American Airlines Arena and Marlins Park in Miami, as well as other venues in the US - more details can be found at clearme.com).
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can also use CLEAR to expedite your entry into some SCs, assuming that you're entitled to enter without CLEAR.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:07 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Starting to feel sorry for zitsky. What (I believe) they are asking is, given that we all know and agree CLEAR is not supposed to have anything to do with immigration they are curious why the officer/airport employee/whoever in the original report, called for anyone with GE or CLEAR to step forward and cut in line.

We'd probably have to go find and ask that employee though. They could be misinformed, making an executive/maverick decision, etc.
NotHamSarnie and diburning like this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Zorak
Starting to feel sorry for zitsky. What (I believe) they are asking is, given that we all know and agree CLEAR is not supposed to have anything to do with immigration they are curious why the officer/airport employee/whoever in the original report, called for anyone with GE or CLEAR to step forward and cut in line.

We'd probably have to go find and ask that employee though. They could be misinformed, making an executive/maverick decision, etc.
I'm guessing - he may have meant Nexus and instead said clear or OP heard Clear but employee said Nexus.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 2:20 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I'm guessing - he may have meant Nexus and instead said clear or OP heard Clear but employee said Nexus.
Right. This is sort of like when there's an obvious bug on the website and a bunch of people post here asking why delta made a policy change. Sometimes things just get ....ed up.
jinglish likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Sometimes (admittedly rarely) exceptions are made when certain lines are very full and the "reserved" lines are empty.

This happened only once in my experience, but I was flying MXP-TLV with my daughter on LY and there was absolutely nobody in the "EU Citizens Only" line at passport control. The other lines were very long and the man working in the EU booth stepped outside and announced that anyone with a U.S. passport could go to his booth. Naturally, my daughter and I made the switch immediately.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster
Sometimes (admittedly rarely) exceptions are made when certain lines are very full and the "reserved" lines are empty.

This happened only once in my experience, but I was flying MXP-TLV with my daughter on LY and there was absolutely nobody in the "EU Citizens Only" line at passport control. The other lines were very long and the man working in the EU booth stepped outside and announced that anyone with a U.S. passport could go to his booth. Naturally, my daughter and I made the switch immediately.
Happened to me in CDG.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:13 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You can also use CLEAR to expedite your entry into some SCs, assuming that you're entitled to enter without CLEAR.
Define "expedite". It takes longer to use CLEAR than to scan the BP. I just use CLEAR because I'm a millennial and per my generation requirements I have to do it whether it's faster or not
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SDQBound
Define "expedite". It takes longer to use CLEAR than to scan the BP. I just use CLEAR because I'm a millennial and per my generation requirements I have to do it whether it's faster or not
For me it’s almost always faster and at the very least it’s one less TSA interaction.
gooselee likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:36 am
pvn
Suspended

Clear is faster because there's nobody in the clear line. Scanning a BP is faster but you have to actually wait to get to the scanner.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WWads

For me it’s almost always faster and at the very least it’s one less TSA interaction.
SDQBound was replying to MSPs comment of using Clear to access the Skyclub. It indeed seems to take longer. You have to angle your wrist correctly or it tends to not read correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.