Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2016, 9:22 am

As between me and the Significant Hazard, my upgrades are mine alone, which makes sense insofar as (a) they are earned by me, and (b) makes sense given our relative dimensions; she's svelte and I'm built like a nose tackle.
Wow I leave the forum for 10 hours and it becomes Alt-Flyertalk

I don't normally feed the trolls but I'm going to have to take umbrage OP's fantastically pigheaded argument.

My wife gets the upgrade because she has fibromyalgia, and is a tremendous amount of pain most days, and the few times a year I can talk her into going somewhere, anything I can do to make her more comfortable I'm going to do. I chose to simply state it in a humorous fashion because I don't like to bum people out with my problems.

But that's probably not a worry to him as that's a woman's problem and probably not worth his time.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by pvn
FWIW, there are plenty of examples on here of female frequent flyers who, when travelling with their male, non-elite significant other, will give him the upgrade. It doesn't have anything to do with chivalry or gender hierarchy. It has to do with the person who's been there and seen that giving something nice to a person who doesn't experience it regularly, and an acknowledgement that air travel is massively disruptive and stressful for people who aren't doing it on a regular basis.

We more frequently see a husband giving an upgrade to his wife quite simply because the vast majority of elite flyers are male.
I agree. Offering the upgrade is what counts. Sometimes the recipient will turn it down, saying keep the upgrade seat because you are the larger person and need the extra space more. But I disagree about chivalry because both sexes can be chivalrous, whichever is in a position to protect and be generous to the other.

Last edited by Tizzette; Dec 21, 2016 at 9:52 am
Old Dec 21, 2016, 9:30 am
HMO

Originally Posted by Widgets
Why give your upgrade to your SO when you can just ask the F passenger seated next to you to swap? Work smarter, not harder.
They tried it, in return the F passenger suggested to offer the husband's F seat to the PAX on the side of the wife's seat.

For any reason, hubby didn't agree with this marvelous idea..
Old Dec 21, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Tomphot
My wife refuses to use my upgrade. I'm 6'6" and she thinks it would be silly for me to sit in the back
My wife won't take them either. She's 5'4" and I'm 6'2". She rarely flies with me (1 - 2 times a year) and the first time this came up was several years ago when I was offered a gate upgrade SAN - ATL.

I tried to get my wife to take it, she told me to take it and in the end, I just passed on it and took my original seat next to her. All the way from SAN - ATL I got an ear full about how I should have taken the seat because I was taller, etc. so I told her I'd never let that happen again.

Next leg, also got an upgrade offer again. Told my wife I'd see her when we landed. LOL
Old Dec 21, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HMO
They tried it, in return the F passenger suggested to offer the husband's F seat to the PAX on the side of the wife's seat.

For any reason, hubby didn't agree with this marvelous idea..
I would have said sure. Then asked how much cash they had on them.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
Why give your upgrade to your SO when you can just ask the F passenger seated next to you to swap? Work smarter, not harder.
ok, this made my day
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Why deal with this question at all when you can just WFBF or not request the upgrade at all if sitting in a particular place is that important to you?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by gooselee
Why deal with this question at all when you can just WFBF or not request the upgrade at all if sitting in a particular place is that important to you?
because that would kill off 25% of the chatter on the DL FT board
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by jrl767
because that would kill off 25% of the chatter on the DL FT board
Good point. Carry on.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
The problem is the people who act like this aren't mortified because they don't care or are completely oblivious to what others are seeing about them.
Very true. Which is why the rest of us have to be on guard that we don't tolerate this behavior if we don't have to. It's hard for descent folks to understand how some people can do the things they do and not feel bad about it. Bernie Madoff comes to mind.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: Skyteam
For under 1 hour, I would have given up my FC seat to shut her up.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by skchin
For under 1 hour, I would have given up my FC seat to shut her up.
I wouldn't because that just rewards the bad behavior. But I would've pulled out my supply of earplugs and visibly offered them to everyone around me.

I wouldn't be surprised if she's pulled this before and people have given in, just like people that are always running late for the airport because "someone will always let you in front of them if your flight is about to take off."
Old Dec 21, 2016, 1:40 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by wrp96
I wouldn't because that just rewards the bad behavior.
interesting that you think of your spouse in terms of discipline problems much the same way normal people would think of their dog
Old Dec 21, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by pvn
interesting that you think of your spouse in terms of discipline problems much the same way normal people would think of their dog
My dog behaves much better than this lady........
Old Dec 21, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: none
Changing the subject a bit.

A Play in One Act

The Players
Passenger A: (name unknown, just call him "Hole") Standing in the aisle.

Passenger B: (name unknown) Sitting in the aisle seat.
FA: (You know who that is)

Time: 5 minutes before takeoff
Place: Coach Section of a domestic flight

At the scene begins, A and B are exchanging words that are unintelligible. A shows B his ticket; B shows A his ticket. More discussion. Hand gestures. B doesn't move. Other passengers start to notice and listen. Lights come up as A summons FA. (Note: You may have seen this before and know where it's going)

Enter FA

FA looks at both boarding passes, (To both), "It looks like you both have the same seat assignment". (To A), "He's already sitting there. There are open seats toward the front. Would you mind moving?"

Passenger A, "But I reserved it first. My secretary reserved this seat for me a month ago, and that's I want. I will not move."

FA (to B), "Would you like to move?"

Passenger B (To FA), "Sure." (B gets up and moves to FC. A sits down with a smug look, knowing that he stood up for his rightful seat.)

THE END

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.