Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2016, 7:58 pm

Moderators.....Time to get this thread back on track.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Boarding a JFK-BOS flight on Sunday, the GA had a really odd process. She lined up all the people in Prem in front of and facing the gate, put the people in SKY behind us, and then lined up Group 1 next to us to the left. Since we were all facing the gate, the lines snaked out into the terminal and got in the way. Groups 2 and 3 were lined up facing the wall, snaking into the seating area. It was a mess. The aircraft was a 717, so it's not like she's boarding hundreds of people. The last time I was herded into a line for boarding, I was flying United Except United has the decency to rope off the lines. This was truly a bizarre boarding process and I never experienced this on Delta.

But that's not my DYKWIA story. I was second in line in Prem, and this guy wearing a BragTag™ (Gold medallion) around his neck looked at me (I'm a young-ish looking guy, wearing a sweatshirt, jeans, and sneakers) and asked if I was in the right line, since this was "Premier." I said "Yeah, Premium." and got an eye roll. He ended up being the person sitting next to me in F on the flight
Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by diburning
Boarding a JFK-BOS flight on Sunday, the GA had a really odd process. She lined up all the people in Prem in front of and facing the gate, put the people in SKY behind us, and then lined up Group 1 next to us to the left. Since we were all facing the gate, the lines snaked out into the terminal and got in the way. Groups 2 and 3 were lined up facing the wall, snaking into the seating area. It was a mess. The aircraft was a 717, so it's not like she's boarding hundreds of people. The last time I was herded into a line for boarding, I was flying United Except United has the decency to rope off the lines. This was truly a bizarre boarding process and I never experienced this on Delta.

But that's not my DYKWIA story. I was second in line in Prem, and this guy wearing a BragTag™ (Gold medallion) around his neck looked at me (I'm a young-ish looking guy, wearing a sweatshirt, jeans, and sneakers) and asked if I was in the right line, since this was "Premier." I said "Yeah, Premium." and got an eye roll. He ended up being the person sitting next to me in F on the flight
I've seen the JFK agents do this a lot for widebody flights. Seems kind of pointless for a 717 though.

Someone was wearing a luggage tag around their neck? Did he try to save money by asking to be gate-checked?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WWads
I've seen the JFK agents do this a lot for widebody flights. Seems kind of pointless for a 717 though.

Someone was wearing a luggage tag around their neck? Did he try to save money by asking to be gate-checked?
Maybe he had memory problems - that would be a good reason to wear a luggage tag (if he wrote in his name, and a name and number for a contact to call if he was found wandering around).
Old Dec 11, 2016, 2:48 pm

The dying question to ask would be "do you realize you're wearing a bag tag around your neck?" I guess there is something more ridiculous than nonrevs wearing their airline IDs while flying for leisure.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:03 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I have a Silver Medallion brag tag in each piece of luggage and I am planning to keep them as long as they last. Earlier this year I was kindly asked by a very nice lady to step aside from the SP line because only Sky was boarding. I thanked her for letting me know and asked her if I should cut in front of the line as my BP said PREM and not SKY.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by SDQBound
I have a Silver Medallion brag tag in each piece of luggage and I am planning to keep them as long as they last. Earlier this year I was kindly asked by a very nice lady to step aside from the SP line because only Sky was boarding. I thanked her for letting me know and asked her if I should cut in front of the line as my BP said PREM and not SKY.
Nice response! ^
Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Ugh leave it to ATL GA's....
Problem identified....

Originally Posted by Widgets
Originally Posted by beachmouse
I suspect that GAs in ATL are also under more pressure than at most other airports to turn and fill the plane as quickly as possible in order to make sure the pilot is in the queue to the runway when he/she is supposed to be.
They're also apparently very understaffed without much support. I couldn't imagine being forced to work full on-time departures alone. Overbooked would be horrible. It's either on-time or pleasant, but it's hard to be both when you have a line of people standing under the GIDS asking for their seat assignment.
The real problem is that a lot of them are aholes. When you're working in a customer-facing position, you should not be taking things out on your customers, even if you're "stressed" or whatever excuse you want to make up for them.

Originally Posted by gooselee
Jackholes exist everywhere, IMO.
Yes, however, they don't seem to be evenly distributed....

O/H
Old Dec 11, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SDQBound
I had one too! I didn't just use it on luggage, I kept it on my computer case (until it got torn off). I wanted people to see it and show me the same admiration and respect with which Delta treats its Silver Medallions. And they did!
Old Dec 11, 2016, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Occupationalhazard
Problem identified....

The real problem is that a lot of them are aholes. When you're working in a customer-facing position, you should not be taking things out on your customers, even if you're "stressed" or whatever excuse you want to make up for them.

O/H
This. I used to help a friend out with his small business, we both were in on it together and I'd be willingly waking up in the middle of the night, sometimes working as late as 4AM (1 on most days) taking care of customers and making impromptu sales, this included making sales while on planes -all while again willingly not making a cent. Yet I still managed to always communicate with customers by their name and even help competitors customers.

I don't expect GAs to even scratch this, but for god's sake, don't yell at a customer. You can be under stress but please keep your composure. When you set a poor example, passengers follow suit (hence the DYWKIAs and gate lice) and make travel worse for everyone. Life is stress and work, and every one of us has crap to deal with ourselves. So please, don't take your problems and frustrations out on us -unless it's a DYKWIA then please do.

Anyways, I think that pretty much sums up my rant. Hope this covered things fairly well and wasn't too out of place.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
These flights always seems to have its fair share of winners... Especially the 2100 departure from JFK.

Priceless! Thankfully, its only 35 minutes in the air.

Question though, how does one wear a brag tag around their neck? Please tell me there was a lanyard involved. Or was a string of the plastic bands tied together like a necklace? The only time I've seen something similar, aside from NRSAs wearing their credentials which IMO is absurd, is non-English speakers with a sign around their necks stating their name and their flight itinerary.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:31 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Widgets
The dying question to ask would be "do you realize you're wearing a bag tag around your neck?" I guess there is something more ridiculous than nonrevs wearing their airline IDs while flying for leisure.
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
Maybe he had memory problems - that would be a good reason to wear a luggage tag (if he wrote in his name, and a name and number for a contact to call if he was found wandering around).
Originally Posted by WWads
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767

Question though, how does one wear a brag tag around their neck? Please tell me there was a lanyard involved. Or was a string of the plastic bands tied together like a necklace?
A luggage tag around the neck? That sounds like a great idea! I should have a Silver tag somewhere. I will put it in a badge holder and give it a try next week
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First

wow, around his neck?! that is really lame
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
The only time I've seen something similar, aside from NRSAs wearing their credentials which IMO is absurd, is non-English speakers with a sign around their necks stating their name and their flight itinerary.
As I recall this used to be how UM was handled.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 3furballs
As I recall this used to be how UM was handled.
I never had to wear a badge as a UM (and that was years ago). Too bad, I would have wanted people to KWIA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.