Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Kudos to that kid! As a millennial on the tail end of millenialdom, I've been through similar experiences. He did the equivalent of telling those guys "scoreboard!" Love it!����

Never judge a medallion by their age/attire...
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: SU Blue, DL FO, UA Blue, BA Silver
Same here when it comes to me. I've been given grief at 21, now 23, when I was Gold Medallion for a while by people who didn't believe I had status. I've never had a problem at ATL though, only place I ever got some sort of trouble was at DCA.

Now when entering the Sky Club I've had some pax say I am going to the wrong area. All I say is I know where I'm heading and once we enter the Sky Club I've had one of them tell the lounge dragon that I was begging to be guested in...but the dragon at DCA's Sky Club knew me and welcomed me in personally. Best...feeling...ever...
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by WWads
That's absurd. I would have documented her name and asked for the station manager on the spot.
I've been in the check-in line before and the conversation went

"Are you flying priority today?"

"Yes."

"Are you sure?" -raises eyebrow-

"... yes?"

as the elderly lady walked away with a look on her face that's hard to describe

(I was 24, now 26. But the beard at least makes me look a bit older now)
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:59 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
I got that all the time in my 20s. Favorite was flying D1 LAX-JFK and as i went to board in the end of the premium boarding another pax waiting around physically placed his arm across my chest to block me from boarding and said 'business class only son'. I'd had an extremely long day and didnt feel like dealing with it so i just shoved his arm off and handed my ticket to the agent and boarded.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
I got that all the time in my 20s. Favorite was flying D1 LAX-JFK and as i went to board in the end of the premium boarding another pax waiting around physically placed his arm across my chest to block me from boarding and said 'business class only son'. I'd had an extremely long day and didnt feel like dealing with it so i just shoved his arm off and handed my ticket to the agent and boarded.
Come to think of it, a JFK GA did stop me one time when I went to board a flight to LAX in D1. He scrutinized my BP and asked for my ID. It's the only time I've ever had this happen.

I wonder if it was just a random security thing, or that the GA didn't believe that I was supposed to be in D1. I believe I was a GM at the time.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, DL, KE Skypass
I love reading these, but I've never posted here...however, I think I have one from a long time ago.

I did a six-week summer session at The New School when I was in undergrad, and at the end of the session my mom forced my dad to fly up to NYC to bring me back home. We were at LGA, waiting in this horrendously slow, super muggy security line (we were trying to catch our noon flight), when this guy pushes past us and everyone in front of us with nary an "excuse me." Turns out that he was an airport employee (maybe he worked for DL, don't remember) and right behind him were Michael Bolton and Nicolette Sheridan (they were dating at the time). My dad narrows his eyes and starts with a, "What the--?" and then proceeds to angrily and loudly fuss at all three of them for cutting in line. Now, my dad is 6'6" and 275+ pounds, so it's not like he totally blends in with the crowd. The agent turns back, sees my dad, and proceeds to drag them away even faster with this half-hearted half-scared "sorry." I didn't get to see the reactions of the celebrity couple because I was way too embarrassed. I said something like, "Dad, do you know who they are?" and he goes, "I don't give a **** WHO they are!"

In the end, our flight ended up getting cancelled.

Over ten years have passed, and we still laugh about it.

Last edited by mjchick; Dec 7, 2016 at 1:32 am Reason: laughter adding
Old Dec 7, 2016, 3:18 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by WWads
That's absurd. I would have documented her name and asked for the station manager on the spot.
I've filed complaints with delta...I've stopped as nothing happens, there are just too many employees. Unless delta sends out a mass picture of me saying "he belongs"
Old Dec 7, 2016, 5:57 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
My daughter is 21. She flew back from Japan with a bus ticket. The GA hasseled her The the FA would not let her sit in her seat 2A even after she showed her BP. The FA got another who looked at her BP then had the GA come on the plane who took her BP and went and checked it on the computer. The agents were all Japanese and most of the passengers up front were Japanese men in suits.

Delta gave her a free ticket because of it (she taped it on her iphone)
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by BeatCal
My daughter is 21. She flew back from Japan with a bus ticket. The GA hasseled her The the FA would not let her sit in her seat 2A even after she showed her BP. The FA got another who looked at her BP then had the GA come on the plane who took her BP and went and checked it on the computer. The agents were all Japanese and most of the passengers up front were Japanese men in suits.

I have to presume you mean "Business" as in "Delta One"
Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:17 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
After reading some of the latest posts, I came to the conclusion that I've been a DYKWIA for years.

I've been an Elite since I was 20. Had to actually say "But I'm a Silver, But I'm a Silver" many times as I was confronted by check-in agents, gate agents or flight attendants. Somehow for them it was even more shocking when I was flying paid F instead of an upgrade. The only place where I did not have any issues was the SLC Skyclub, the nice staff actually Knew Who I Was
Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BeatCal

That's a long bus ride. How many ferries did they have to take?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by jrl767
Maybe it was back when delta was business class, not D1
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hiima
Maybe it was back when delta was business class, not D1
Or BE = Business Elite.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by jrl767
I actually thought the poster meant "back of the bus" and she was the one who DYKWIAed.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Huh, DL employees seem terribly presumptuous. I've seen reports of this kind of behaviour on AC too, however UA seem to cope well enough with my young self. (The only time I've had anything close to this is being asked for my BP after boarding "business" on an LX shorthaul flight.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.