Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2011, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
I really can't recall any time that in person with Delta i have pulled a DYKWIA attidtude. I might in email state how much I travel, etc and that I have a choice airlines, but never would say it to someone's face, especially over a stupid piece of luggage that wasn't even mine.

I do believe part of the story is missing, I can't imagine that a TSA Agent, (After a bag has been scanned and lifted off the scanner bed) would come running down the concourse to pull a bag back for no reason. If it fits through the scanner, then most TSA people don't have an issue as bag size is up to the airlines. There has to be more to the story.

If this would have happened to me, I would have asked the redcoat where the baggage sizer is and show him the bag would fit. Just because a bag fits in the overhead does not make it a legal size bag, which is why there are so many problems with carry on baggage.

I just feel that people think its ok to beat up on all DL employees simply for doing their jobs, if the OP had an issue there were many other calmer more rational ways of handling the situation besides trying to pull status. JMO
Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
This is why you should engage TSA agents as little as possible, and leave the screening area swiftly! Do not dilly dally. Put on your shoes/belts and replace laptops a safe distance away from those rent-a-cops. You are just inviting trouble if you lurk around.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:17 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
So what was a more calmer rational way of handling it? At this point its less than 45 minutes before flights departure and the TSA and Red Coat are telling me I must exit the secure area to check this bag. A bag the Red Coat wasn't even bothering to examine and imediatly sided with the TSA. TSA had no problem when the bag went through the scanner, she did have to remove a can of Febreeze (Thai Dragon smells really nice) but once that was removed they scanned her bag again with no problem. She had to be sitting there atleast 3 or 4 minutes before this TSA agent came. He wasn't running he was calmly walking and then just stops.

Again this is the bag
http://www.ebags.com/product/samsoni...uctid=10009424

Which Messures
17" x 14" x 7.5"

Someone asked if I am proud I pulled the DYKWIA card? Hmmmm no but I think its hilarious the imediate change in attitude when he found out I was a plat in a situation where I think status need not matter. If I were a first time flyer the redcoat should of taken time to messure up the situation and see that I was being wronged by the TSA for no apparent reason. Mind you the same bag went through SFO with no issue my bigger version of the bag which is 18 inches I think went through JFK for no reason. I only wish I had pulled my camera out and had her record what was going on.

What should I have done what was the more calmer way to go about it.

Last edited by HWGeeks; Feb 9, 2011 at 3:26 pm
Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by reddawngrl
and so let me ask you all....have you never been rude, pulled attitude, said something you regretted, acted out of character, before in all your life? Unfortunately, and whether we truthfully admit it or not, we all have a button someone can push and nobody is perfect all the time. But if you are...hey more power to you. I applaud the OP for admitting lapse of control and being transparent.
absolutely, we're all after all, only human. The difference with me is, usually after 5 minutes and no more then that, I realize I acted out of line. Just because someone acts like a baffoon, doesn't give me the right to act like a baffoon back. And if I do, then shame on me and the last place I would advertise the fact, is in a public chat forum.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
So what was a more calmer rational way of handling it? At this point its less than 45 minutes before flights departure and the TSA and Red Coat are telling me I must exit the secure area to check this bag. A bag the Red Coat wasn't even bothering to examine and imediatly sided with the TSA. TSA had no problem when the bag went through the scanner, she did have to remove a can of Febreeze (Thai Dragon smells really nice) but once that was removed they scanned her bag again with no problem. She had to be sitting there atleast 3 or 4 minutes before this TSA agent came. He wasn't running he was calmly walking and then just stops.

Again this is the bag
http://www.ebags.com/product/samsoni...uctid=10009424

Which Messures
17" x 14" x 7.5"

Someone asked if I am proud I pulled the DYKWIA card? Hmmmm no but I think its hilarious the imediate change in attitude when he found out I was a plat in a situation where I think status need not matter. If I were a first time flyer the redcoat should of taken time to messure up the situation and see that I was being wronged by the TSA for no apparent reason. Mind you the same bag went through SFO with no issue my bigger version of the bag which is 18 inches I think went through JFK for no reason. I only wish I had pulled my camera out and had her record what was going on.

What should I have done what was the more calmer way to go about it.
You are asking for a calmer way to handle it?

This is what I would do. calmy get names, record on a sheet of paper, get supervisors name and go from there. Why escalate a situation that easily could have turned against you because you wanted to act as an equal to the TSA agent and the DL redcoat? Take the high road my friend. You can never go wrong with that.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In the OP's story, I'm more concerned by the insistence that the attractive woman colleague follow the TSA guy, presumably to a back room? What does this have to do with the size of the bag?
Agree. w-t-f is that? I would be raising holy hell if that happened with a colleague or my spouse.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:53 pm

I missed MSP comment that is one of the reasons I claimed posession of the bag.

Follow her where? With all the gropping going on by the TSA I was going to take one for the team if need be. But I don't think he would of lead her to a backroom. I just suspect he was bored more so than anything else.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
what was the more calmer way to go about it.
To the TSA agent: "Allow us take the bag to the gate or call your supervisor".
To the redcoat: "As a plat. member, I'm very disappointed that you're not helping me. Please tell me your name so that I can write a letter of complaint."

I'm not saying that I'd have been so level headed in the circumstances, but I wouldn't be bragging about losing my cool.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 4:19 pm

I asked to gate check the bag, was denied I asked for supervisor was told he was the supervisor. He offered to call police I offered my phone.

I didn't feel the redcoat needed to know my status plus it was far from my mind I only claimed my status and cursed (which I still am not 100% sure I did but she said i did).
Old Feb 9, 2011, 4:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
I have to wonder, could part of this escalation been a result of you "flexing" your status in front of your friends? According to this thread (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...l-had-fun.html), there was a little bit of showing off when you were upgraded, stuck out your tongue to your friends (in fun), only to be returned to your seat in Y when the F seat for sold out from under you. Would you have been a little more level-headed if you had been traveling alone?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 4:57 pm

that was the return flight that I was de-upgraded on. This incident at jfk was the outbound flight which I was upgraded on and kept my seat I was 1 for 8 on the upgrade list. Also had a nice crew on the outbound I took my pillow to my friend who on that flight was in 19A so she could be more comfy. Lead FA which was a guy gave me a blanket to give to her as well. Even let me take an extra chocolate chip cookie to her.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
I just want to know what the hell the Redcoat was doing spending time with a lowly Plat. There are way too many Plats to Know Who They Are. I am sending a nasty note to CS right now letting them know my displeasure and requesting to be made whole for the lack of attention with miles. Redcoats are for DM's.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
I understand the sequence of events. My point remains. Do you think you might have been showing-off a little when you went off on the TSA agent and Red Coat? It's pretty obvious that you were showing-off to your friends by sending them goodies from F. The same on your return trip when you stuck out your tongue at them. Yes, it was all in good spirit but showing-off nonetheless. Would you have been a little less DYKWIA if you had been traveling alone?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott. Hilton Diamond, Hertz something...
^^
Originally Posted by pdac1975
I don't know, a lot of people are giving the OP a ^ for this. Kind of sounds like complete a-hole behavior to me.
^^
Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM
TSA is out of control. Was recently stopped stepping on to the plane in LAS to have my boarding pass and ID checked again by TSA.

Mrs. tgtg, who is certainly attractive, is selected 100% of the time for naked-vision. She opts out 100% of the time. She flies 4-8 times a month.

Going slightly on-topic, what happened to those sizers that used to be in front of the X-ray machines...not that I liked them as items had to be perfectly lined up and the bins didn't fit...

-=tg=-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.