Wiki Posts
Search

De-Upgraded but still had fun!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat
De-Upgraded but still had fun!

I think I had one of my best experiences on Delta last night and I emailed them.

I was on the SFO - JFK redeye 2340 last night 2/8 departed at 10:30 PM.

I didn't think I was going to get the upgrade I was 3 for 3 seats pretty much all day and knew that I'd lose out so I wasn't expecting it. I get to SFO with my friends check in and head to the Skyclub, I have 3 guest with me so I know one needs to be paid for, I hand my card to pay the fee for 1 friend which is $50 but the sky club attendant said not to worry about it and let us in. Didn't even ask if she would waive the fee for the 3rd she just did. Thought that was nice of her

About 50 minutes before the flight we head to security and we get through quickly sit down at gate 47, I didn't see any display so couldn't tell where I was on the upgrade list but just before boarding I heard my named called. I go up and was put into 1B. YAY

I board stick my tongue out at my friends in 18D 19 E and D and start to relax. When the GA came on with this look of horror on her face. She said someone a minute or two before she cleared the upgrade list purchased a seat in First and I would have to move back to my original seat 19F.

Little disappointed but I take the 20 have one on us coupons and go with her to the back I walked quickly was a little embarrassed lol.

I get to my seat and the FA says sorry that I was removed but not to worry I'll enjoy the flight.

Flight takes off and before drink service even starts she asked if I wanted something to drink and got it for me. When drink service started she gave myself and all my friends full cans. brought me extra blankets because we all know how super cold 19F can get.

I think while I missed out on the BE seat I got the BE service and enjoyed the flight. Sent DL an email to compliment the FA's and GA for making it fun.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I board stick my tongue out at my friends in 18D 19 E and D and start to relax. When the GA came on with this look of horror on her face. She said someone a minute or two before she cleared the upgrade list purchased a seat in First and I would have to move back to my original seat 19F.
The FC seat was probably purchased by a friend or relative of the Red Coat you DYKWIA'd back in New York.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Probably was. But still had a good flight and the experiences like this out number the bad ones IMO.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 4:26 pm
Suspended

1B was your seat. How dare DL try and sell it to someone.

Old Feb 9, 2011, 4:32 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold
I'm not sure in the history of FT that I've ever seen a positive thread about being de-upgraded! Nice of you to send the FA's props too.

We've all seen what can go down when someone gets de-upgraded. I've seen fights almost break out.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Good attitude -- at least they hadn't given 19F away.
But the warm chicken sandwich on the SFO-JFK redeye is one of the best meals I've ever had on DL. Did the FA bring you one of those as well.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

No but prior to getting to my seat she said if there was any meals left she would bring me one. I don't know if there were any meals left or not or if she forgot but I didn't ask. She let us use the coupon for the snack basket which was fine with me.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 7:11 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
As someone posted (you, maybe?) - you'll probably get 7500 miles for writing a COMPLIMENT eMail, and if you complain about having to do the "Walk of Shame", you'll probably get another 10,000!
Old Feb 9, 2011, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Making a bet with myself as to whether DL will interpret your compliment as a complaint about getting de-upgraded and throw you miles or a TCV. I really don't understand CC. Even when I compliment Delta, they find something in my email they think I disliked and give me something for it. My bet is 7,500 RDMs.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I'm having a little bit of a hard time believing the GA's story that someone bought the seat "a minute or two before you were upgraded". The computer wouldn't have allowed the gate agent to upgrade the third person (assuming three seats were still available and the OP was the third on the list) if someone bought a seat at the last minute.

Once that person purchased the seat it would have been blocked in inventory immediately. The computer wouldn't have let the gate agent upgrade the third person on the list.

Smells funky to me. Glad the OP has a good attitude about it.

-RM
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:02 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Nice to hear of an unfortunate situation being handled with good spirits by all involved.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:06 pm

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
Shenanigans
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, FB Petroleum, SAA, UA, AA
Talking

Originally Posted by JesseRohr
Shenanigans
+1 Pistol Whip!^
Old Feb 10, 2011, 7:32 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Could it have been someone who had an F ticket that either misconnected, and was reaccmodated on your flight, or someone they thought was going to misconnect but didn't?
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:54 am
Original Poster

No clue GA told me they bought a ticket moments before she cleared me.

By the way Delta called today, thanked me for taking the time to give kudos to the crew and threw some miles my way. I think he said 4500 but the message was garbled I have to wait till it post to see. Also said they would share my comments with the crew.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.