Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why the ticket is getting more expensive again?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why the ticket is getting more expensive again?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2011, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Vuelos
wow. shocked.
Yes, unfortunately, I won't be in FLL anymore. That's why FLL is getting more extremely expensive. FLL is an trashed fare! Why can't get a real cheapest the reasonable fare? Those customers who had it rights to get a special fare from PHX-FLL. Like as $210 or $150 R/T all-in.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, unfortunately, I won't be in FLL anymore. That's why FLL is getting more extremely expensive. FLL is an trashed fare! Why can't get a real cheapest the reasonable fare? Those customers who had it rights to get a special fare from PHX-FLL. Like as $210 or $150 R/T all-in.
Because on a $150 fare, Delta nets about $120 of it. On a PHX-ATL-FLL-ATL-PHX routing, that comes out to a yield of 2.77 cents per mile. My guess is that Delta can fill its planes with other passengers willing to pay more than next-to-nothing than take that fare.

Airlines aren't charities, they're for-profit businesses. They don't exist to hand out low fares freely. They do that, they then go out of business.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets
^

I recall seeing another one of these rants from the OP a few months ago...at least this time he didn't ask for someone from DL to give him free travel or a buddy pass

-Travis
+ 1
Old Nov 13, 2011, 4:31 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
I wish I could say this thread furiates me, but it's just kind of awesome. (Though the GA should clearly be terminated).
Old Nov 13, 2011, 4:44 pm

Programs: Delta FO, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Gold, Nat'l Exec, Amex Plat
This thread is absurd. Airfare fluctuates: If you don't understand that, you're beyond help from this board. That's like someone going on a rant at a gas station and saying:

"I used to buy gas from Exxon and it was only like $50 to fill my truck up. Now it's $80! I'm never buying from Exxon again!!!"

Ignorance such as this is dangerous.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 4:58 pm

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Additionally, if the OP determines places he plans to go to based upon airfare to that destination alone, then he doesn't truly understand what travel is.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 5:22 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
hey op is just frustrated with what he feels is restrictively high fares

nothing wrong w/that
Old Nov 13, 2011, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton

nothing wrong w/that
$310 in base fare for a transcontinental flight is not unreasonable though - it's 7.15 cents/mile (over ATL; going over DTW is 5.5 cents/mile), which on an individual basis is below the average CASM for Delta.

Granted, there is much more complexity in revenue management, but this fare is most certainly fair. Not everything can be mileage-runnable. Structure fares from Phoenix to Florida tend to run in the $300 r/t range, which is not unreasonable to most.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton

nothing wrong w/that
The problem is thinking that $400 for an over 4,000 mile roundtrip is restrictively high.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mersk862
Because on a $150 fare, Delta nets about $120 of it. On a PHX-ATL-FLL-ATL-PHX routing, that comes out to a yield of 2.77 cents per mile. My guess is that Delta can fill its planes with other passengers willing to pay more than next-to-nothing than take that fare.

Airlines aren't charities, they're for-profit businesses. They don't exist to hand out low fares freely. They do that, they then go out of business.
^ This. $150 RT for PHX-FLL is a junk fare. Don't hold your breath for anything like this.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by The Lurker
The problem is thinking that $400 for an over 4,000 mile roundtrip is restrictively high.
Yes, this is getting too extremely expensive. Why there is problem the fare PHX-FLL is average over $300 - $400 R/T. This is unacceptable!

Originally Posted by javabytes
^ This. $150 RT for PHX-FLL is a junk fare. Don't hold your breath for anything like this.
I would considered to DL will have reduced the reasonable fare from $400 to $210 R/T all-in.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 6:46 pm

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Yes, this is getting too extremely expensive. Why there is problem the fare PHX-FLL is average over $300 - $400 R/T. This is unacceptable!

I would considered to DL will have reduced the reasonable fare from $400 to $210 R/T all-in.
Are you even reading the replies you're getting? Honestly.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 6:56 pm

Programs: Delta FO, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Gold, Nat'l Exec, Amex Plat
That is a reasonable, normal fare. $210 is not.

For what it's worth, I just did a dummy booking (1/11-1/14/2012) from PHX-ATL, and then PHX-FLL. To ATL a/i is $339, to FLL is $350. That's from a Wednesday to Saturday, as well. Complain away... If you think you can rationally justify it.

Last edited by northwest_buckeye; Nov 13, 2011 at 8:25 pm Reason: added the dummy booking
Old Nov 13, 2011, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by northwest_buckeye
That is a reasonable, normal fare. $210 is not.
Don't bother - even though $400 is more than reasonable for most folks, and $210 will of course never happen, in the words of M830MH, it's still too extremely expensive for him.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 7:03 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by The Lurker
No it's good to think that. on the demand curve, OP is contributing to lower prices.

alternatively, why not burn 25k miles?

EDIT:

For example can fly US:

$237

Phoenix (PHX) to Miami (MIA) - Fri, Nov 25 Hide Details
Phoenix (PHX) to Charlotte (CLT) - Fri, Nov 25
US Airways 680 Dep: 6:30am Arr: 12:19pm 3h 49m Airbus A320 Coach (R)
Layover in CLT 0h 56m

Charlotte (CLT) to Miami (MIA) - Fri, Nov 25
US Airways 1675 Dep: 1:15pm Arr: 3:19pm 2h 4m Boeing 737 Coach (R)

Miami (MIA) to Phoenix (PHX) - Wed, Nov 30
Miami (MIA) to Charlotte (CLT) - Wed, Nov 30
US Airways 944 Dep: 10:15am Arr: 12:22pm 2h 7m Boeing 737 Coach (R)
Layover in CLT 0h 38m

Charlotte (CLT) to Phoenix (PHX) - Wed, Nov 30
US Airways 303 Dep: 1:00pm Arr: 3:40pm 4h 40m Airbus A321 Coach (R)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.