Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why the ticket is getting more expensive again?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2011, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by BondAir007
Forget flying to FLL. How about your friends/family pay to fly to PHX and back?
Right. I won't go to FLL anymore. It's too expensive. Besides, I think I can fly someplace else. I can find a specific route. I can find a cheaper fare. Maybe I will fly to BOS, BWI, RIC, RDU, or MCO & TPA and JAX, too.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
Right. I won't go to FLL anymore. It's too expensive. Besides, I think I can fly someplace else. I can find a specific route. I can find a cheaper fare. Maybe I will fly to BOS, BWI, RIC, RDU, or MCO & TPA and JAX, too.
Have you thought about hitchhiking?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 7:18 pm

No way, Jose! I don't want to take on Amtrak or Greybound bus. It will take 2 or 3 days to get there. I don't like to sit on the bus during long trip to Florida.
If you take the bus ride, that ll give you something to read a book, daydreaming, a plenty of naps, and talking to yourself.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
We tried to find a cheaper fare for her friend who coming to PHX sometime in mid-January. I search the cheap fare that I lookup on delta.com but, it's over $350 & $400 RT. It's too extremely expensive. This is not acceptable for the behavior to against DL in FLL. Why they getting more expensive now? We are trying to help her to get a ticket to PHX for a few days.

Something is not right thing the ticket fare. There is no such thing to raise the ticket fare. This is unacceptable for the behavior to against FLL fare. We needed to get a real cheapest the reasonable fare. Those customers who had it right to get a real special fare is $180 or $210 RT AI. DL won't even listening to the customer who are complaining about the FLL fare. They were trying to find a cheapest fare.
No way, Jose! I don't want to take on Amtrak or Greybound bus. It will take 2 or 3 days to get there. I don't like to sit on the bus during long trip to Florida.
This has already been explained to you repeatedly. Airlines are for-profit entities, not charities, and this is a free market. If the price the airline offers is too expensive for you, choose another way to travel. One of two things will happen: either lots of people will join you on the bus/train/car, and the planes will fly empty and Delta will be forced to lower its prices to stay in business, or not many people will join you and Delta will fill its planes with people willing to pay more.

$350-400 is not a bad price to transport you from PHX to FLL and back... and that's setting aside for a moment the time it saves you to get to your destination in a matter of hours instead of days. It'd cost you $500-600 in gas to drive it (assuming 30 miles per gallon at the nationwide average of $3.29/gallon). The $180 fares you want are junk fares. Certainly below what it costs the airline to transport you. The only way you'll ever get fares that cheap is if Delta has excess capacity it needs to unload.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by javabytes
...The only way you'll ever get fares that cheap is if Delta has excess capacity it needs to unload.
And all airlines, not just Delta, have gone to extraordinary lengths to reduce or eliminate excess capacity. Junk fares are going the way of the dinosaurs.

Bruce
Old Dec 6, 2011, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
If you can hold out until April 2012, NK will have service from AZA to FLL.

http://marketing.spirit.com/traveldeals/air.php?s=781

Last edited by SWCPHX; Dec 6, 2011 at 5:08 pm Reason: WGA - AZA
Old Dec 6, 2011, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SWCPHX
If you can hold out until April 2012, NK will have service from AZA to FLL.

http://marketing.spirit.com/traveldeals/air.php?s=781
Alright, I'll take Spirit and I won't fly on DL for a while due to high cost of the fuel. I will try to fly someplace else.

Is that one-stop from AZA-DFW-FLL, am I correct?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This is insane!!! Why the ticket price is getting more expensive? I tried to get the ticket to BOS or IAD. I couldn't get a real chaeper the reasonable fare.

What is going on? Is that fuel price gone up yet again? I don't like the creep! I can't stand it! It's ridiculous!!! Bring the price down now!! There is no reason to increased the ticket price.

Shame on DL!!!!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I don't know what the price is you've been quoted for BOS or IAD, but I'm fairly sure this will be a repeat of the discussion in the thread you started here about tickets to FLL: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...nsive-now.html

You suggested there that $350-400 round trip tickets PHX-FLL were exorbitant and that Delta should price them in the $180-210 range. Others pointed out numerous factors that play into pricing, such as the markets served, competitors flying the route, the price of oil, etc., and pointed out that it would cost you three times that to drive. Junk fares like that aren't profitable for airlines. They only sell enough of them to fill up seats that profitable travelers on high fares don't so they can at least bring some additional revenue in the door to offset the cost of operating the flight.

Not sure what else to tell you, but again, airlines are not charities, and they exist to earn a return for their investors.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 6:34 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by javabytes
Not sure what else to tell you, but again, airlines are not charities, and they exist to earn a return for their investors.
Actually until recently (AA) they have existed first to provide employment to their workers.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 6:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
N830MH, if you owned an airline and knew that you could sell all your tickets PHX-BOS for $1000 each, would you agree to sell them for $100?
Old Feb 24, 2012, 6:46 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
I feel your pain. NC to TPA in March is over $800. I'll pass, but apparently there is no shortage of folks willing to pay....
Old Feb 24, 2012, 6:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is insane!!! Why the ticket price is getting more expensive? I tried to get the ticket to BOS or IAD. I couldn't get a real chaeper the reasonable fare.

What is going on? Is that fuel price gone up yet again? I don't like the creep! I can't stand it! It's ridiculous!!! Bring the price down now!! There is no reason to increased the ticket price.

Shame on DL!!!!
If it's too expensive, don't buy it. You, as the customer, are in the driver's seat. If you can find a ticket cheaper elsewhere, but it there. But, complaining gets you nothing.

Yes, airfares are headed up and the current fares are just the beginning.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 7:06 am

Programs: Many

Shame on DL!!!!
PHX-BOS March 15-20 or March 20-26, for example, is $239 total round trip on Delta.

It costs Delta aprox 15 cents per seat mile they fly, on average. PHX-DTW-BOS is 4606 miles round trip traveled - so it costs Delta about $690 per seat on average for that trip. Good thing some business and inflexible travelers will pay more than $690 so that Delta can sell you a seat for only $239 if you are willing and able to be flexible. But don't complain!

When Delta is willing to sell N830MH a seat that costs the airline about $690 for only $239 and N830MH calls Delta unreasonable and ridiculous, shame on N830MH, not Delta.

Last edited by crazyMRer; Feb 24, 2012 at 7:24 am
Old Feb 24, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Originally Posted by Often1
If it's too expensive, don't buy it. You, as the customer, are in the driver's seat. If you can find a ticket cheaper elsewhere, but it there. But, complaining gets you nothing.
Agree that fares are going up like crazy, but I think that this is the most sound advice... If it's too expensive, don't buy it... It's all a matter of supply and demand and capacity control. If 1000 customers are competing for 900 seats, price is going to be high... If 200 of those customers decide to stay home, drive, use webex, use another airline etc, at current capacity, price goes down...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.