Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rubesl
And I have the opposite opinion - I think a Plat. who has 75k MQMs (probably most of them from BIS) is a safer bet for pre-check than a passport or green card holder with GE who flies a couple of times a year (me). Although I like my pre-check GE advantage, I think Medallions are just as safe a risk (as far as airline safety is concerned). Remember, screening should be risk based, not privileged based.
Not personally disagreeing with you but TSA is. Someone with a KTN who has been vetted is much less of a security risk, in their opinion, than someone who might fly 150K/yr but does not have clearance through one of the govt programs...

http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/like...g-tsa-precheck
Old Dec 26, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP,LFP~3 MM; MarriottRewards, LFP; Avis 1st; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by LKD23
I recently received the following e-mail from Delta-

Security, Streamlined.

Did you know that you can increase your chances of getting selected for the TSA PreCheck? If you are a frequent international traveler, consider participating in a program like Global Entry. Or, if your travels keep you stateside, check out the new TSA Pre Check Application program. Then, enjoy a more convenient journey through 100+ airports.

Does this mean paying the $85 or whatever the amount is per year further increases your chances of being selected for the TSA Pre Check even if you already have it because of being a GM, PM, or DM?
Yes.

I get it 100% of the time (fly twice a week) and have had GE since damn near the day it started.

And it pisses me off they give to people who DIDN'T pay and go through the prescreen interview.

The PC lines are getting longer than the non-PC lines!
Old Dec 26, 2013, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by tomhuber2003
I get it 100% of the time (fly twice a week) and have had GE since damn near the day it started.

And it pisses me off they give to people who DIDN'T pay and go through the prescreen interview.
If you have had GE since the beginning, then you didnt get it for PC. PC has nothing to do with GE, totally different program. At $20/yr, GE is still excellent value for those who travel intl but it has been around a lot longer than PC.

As for those who didnt pay but still get PC, try not renewing GE and maybe you can get PC for free, too. Indeed, it remains to be seen what will happen to those who have a KTN but dont pay their CBP/TSA renewal fees. Since the number is already in their airline profile, that may be enough for PC

The PC lines are getting longer than the non-PC lines!
That's a great time to go to the regular TSA lines. If they are faster, take advantage of it. ^
Old Dec 26, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP,LFP~3 MM; MarriottRewards, LFP; Avis 1st; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
If you have had GE since the beginning, then you didn’t get it for PC. PC has nothing to do with GE, totally different program. At $20/yr, GE is still excellent value for those who travel intl but it has been around a lot longer than PC.

As for those who didn’t pay but still get PC, try not renewing GE and maybe you can get PC for free, too. Indeed, it remains to be seen what will happen to those who have a KTN but don’t pay their CBP/TSA renewal fees. Since the number is already in their airline profile, that may be enough for PC…

You are wrong.

PC was an additional benefit of GE (think of GE as the superset which includes PC).

And if you fly international once a year GE is worth its weight in gold.

You would have to be CRAZY to let your GE status lapse.

That's a great time to go to the regular TSA lines. If they are faster, take advantage of it. ^
I don't like to take my shoes off or my laptops out. It is worth it if the PC lines are a little longer.

They should SHOULD NOT BE, since it was supposed to be PRE-check, not RANDOM-check (and also the newbs slow things down by taking their shoes off anyway).

TSA ruined a great idea (no surprise).
Old Dec 26, 2013, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Global Entry began in 2008.

PreCheck began in 2011.

I don't think PreCheck was a benefit of Global Entry when Global Entry was created.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 3:29 pm

Does this mean paying the $85 or whatever the amount is per year further increases your chances of being selected for the TSA Pre Check even if you already have it because of being a GM, PM, or DM?
Yes, but there's a catch.

Enrollment for TSA Pre✓ is available only at limited locations:

Alexandria, VA - Duke Street
Carson, CA
Coram, NY
Dundalk, MD
Indianapolis, IN - IND
La Plata, MD
Lindenhurst, NY
Long Beach, CA
Los Angeles - Glendale, CA
New York/New Jersey #1
New York/New Jersey #2 (New York, NY)
You are required to appear - in person - following a waiting period now averaging 120 days.

The rapid "mid-December" expansion of enrollment centers has not materialized.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
PC was an additional benefit of GE (think of GE as the superset which includes PC).
No. As others have stated, these are two different programs. These are not subsets of one and another.

Example: You are a Water Buffalo. The No Girls Allowed Club allows Water Buffalo members into the clubhouse. That doesn't mean your Water Buffalo membership includes a NGAC membership. It just means one organization is extending a courtesy to members of a different organization.

Your GE membership has nothing to do with PC. TSA extends a courtesy to those who purchased GE, but like those FFs who didn't pay, you didn't pay for PC, nor did TSA interview you. US Customs and Border Patrol interviewed you, and took your money.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
TSA extends a courtesy to those who purchased GE, but like those FFs who didn't pay, you didn't pay for PC, nor did TSA interview you. US Customs and Border Patrol interviewed you, and took your money.
Customs and Border Protection is a DHS sibling of TSA. And their overlapping roles are prominently disparaged in official accountability studies.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Customs and Border Protection is a DHS sibling of TSA. And their overlapping roles are prominently disparaged in official accountability studies.
Maybe I'm missing something, but how does the document linked, which discusses acquisition policies, indicate when one purchases GE one is purchasing PC? Maybe I missed it, but the document appears to have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

The GE Website, though, indicates you get GE when you purchase GE, although it might make you eligible for the other program, PC. If you look under "About" and "Benefits" there is no mention of PC. Under "Other Programs" it mentions PC, but clearly identifying it as "Other Program" and not part of GE.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 5:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
No. As others have stated, these are two different programs. These are not subsets of one and another.

Example: You are a Water Buffalo. The No Girls Allowed Club allows Water Buffalo members into the clubhouse. That doesn't mean your Water Buffalo membership includes a NGAC membership. It just means one organization is extending a courtesy to members of a different organization.

Your GE membership has nothing to do with PC. TSA extends a courtesy to those who purchased GE, but like those FFs who didn't pay, you didn't pay for PC, nor did TSA interview you. US Customs and Border Patrol interviewed you, and took your money.
On TSA website splashed everywhere are "how to get per check" with step by step instructions on GE. While they are separate programs, tsa clearly markets GE perk of precheck.
Isn't GE and TSA precheck both run by the same govt dept???
Old Dec 26, 2013, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by brocklee9000
So, I just checked in for a flight tomorrow. Traveling with my parents and my younger brother. My parents like to have printed BPs, so I obliged them and printed them off. As usual, I had precheck. My mother's and my father's printed out normally. But I noticed my brother's had precheck printed on it. At first I thought I was imagining it. But there it was, part of the random inclusion. I guess it is pretty random, seeing as they selected a 16 year old kid and not the two 60-something adults traveling with us....
It appears that children (not sure about the maximum age) automatically get pre-check because they are too young to be terrorists. The elderly get it, too, but they have to be over 75 or something like that. So it's not entirely random. There are a few rules that people have observed.

Bruce
Old Dec 26, 2013, 11:02 pm

got PC at TPA this week, first time i was selected. fyi i always get it at FLL. no rhyme or reason!
Old Dec 26, 2013, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note, it is not $85 per year. Your known traveler number will be good for 5 years after paying the $85 application fee.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 3:50 am

You are wrong. PC was an additional benefit of GE (think of GE as the superset which includes PC).
Uh no, you are wrong. PC is a benefit of GE but wasnt until little more than a year ago. Thats because there was no PC when the GE program began.

And if you fly international once a year GE is worth its weight in gold.

You would have to be CRAZY to let your GE status lapse.
Personally have no intention of letting GE lapse. It was you who said

Only suggesting that maybe you would feel better if you didnt pay the renewal for GE/PC like those freeloaders but still get to use PC because your KTN is already recorded.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Go North, gooselee, go North....

The FL/WN/AA/UA/US side of the airport, the North Terminal, usually has nobody in the PC line. All the shoe/liquid/electronics/jacket advantage, none of the wait. A few extra steps: many minutes saved.
Yeah, it was the butt crack of dawn and I just forgot about the North checkpoint until I was already snaking through the line. It really wasn't that long of a wait, just surprising to see how many people there were.

Originally Posted by JimGinATL
I don't think it's really that many extra steps. Everyone basically starts in the same location (The Atrium area) and ends up in the same location (the PlaneTrain area). Direct distance between the two is roughly the same no matter what route you take.

I guess if you park in South Parking, it's a little further since you have to cross to the opposite side of the Terminal. However, if you are not checking bags you could just as easily park in North or West Parking (West is my preference if there's space available). If you are coming in via MARTA (which I often do), it's actually more direct to go to the North or South Checkpoint than to zig-zag through The Atrium to the Main checkpoint.

-JimG
Call me a stick in the mud, but I always park in South daily right by the underground door that dumps you by the DL SP counters, and thus the south Pre checkpoint. Things on the North Terminal side always just seem so...weird.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.