Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Spiff
On the contrary, Pre-check should be standard screening for all with no ID and no money or other information presented.

Only if there is clear, probable cause, should someone receive additional/different screening.
^
Old Oct 15, 2013, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by pbarnette
It is open to anyone with $100 for 5 years of access. Soon that price will drop to $85. And I struggle to understand what the "serious change" to airport infrastructure is that you are talking about.
The price is already $50. At least, that's what I paid (less the Amex rebate).
Old Oct 15, 2013, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by spidaman
I'm thinking of having the Madame get the Amex Plat so that she can get the Global Entry, and we can start getting SkyClub access, now that we are traveling more to visit the fledgling Spidakids in SEA and PVD. I let it go last year, because we were not traveling enough.
You're going to pay $450 for Amex Platinum so she can save $100? (Or do you mean switching the primary cardholder from you to her?)
Old Oct 15, 2013, 9:43 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
I don't mind DL trying things like this. The security system we have is inefficient and should definitely be improved. I'm willing to put up with experiments to that end. That said, they need to find a better way to educate these folks about what their Pre experience will be like. Else it falls on all of us to tell them not to slow us down by doing the normal security theater bit. I find myself doing that a lot at MSP these days. Not sure where all the Pre newbies are coming from.
I find it quite amusing that so many people complain about the security, that we shouldn't have to go through the level of security we do, blah, blah, blah. But then when more people are given this degree of security that PreCheck gives, many of the same people complain. Kudos to Spiff for the way he views this. I think it is an inherent right on FT to complain - about anything .
Old Oct 15, 2013, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
I didn't apply, but it was on my boarding passes today. Also said TSA precheck
SkyMiles AMEX.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette

The TSA's stated goal is to have 85% of passengers in pre-Check. They'd prefer, I suspect, that this is achieved with something a bit more instructive than being a frequent flyer, which is why those who get PreCheck via Global Entry receive higher rates of success.
TSA's actual stated goal is 25%, at least that's the revised percentage Pissy has been stating.

Perhaps the 85 number comes from confusion with the $85 price tag, or the 85% that disapprove of TSA.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by sethb
You're going to pay $450 for Amex Platinum so she can save $100? (Or do you mean switching the primary cardholder from you to her?)
I'm thinking of having the Madame get the Amex Plat so that she can get the Global Entry, and we can start getting SkyClub access, now that we are traveling more to visit the fledgling Spidakids in SEA and PVD. I let it go last year, because we were not traveling enough.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 10:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Once PreCheck, always PreCheck?
Once PreCheck not always PreCheck and/or PreCheck LLL. If PreCheck LLL type screening were the default screening for all passengers at US airports, then it would be far closer to "once PreCheck, always PreCheck".

Getting GE leads to a higher frequency of PreCheck LLL outcomes for passengers, but that which is granted administratively can also be revoked/denied administratively.

Originally Posted by sethb
The $450 card can be pretty easily be made into a $250 card; add in some additional cards/authorized users on the account, and the $250 card may well turn out to not even cost half of even $250.

While I got GE paid for by UA, I have seen others do pretty well by signing up for one Amex Plat account at the latter half of the year and then bringing one or two additional user/authorized cards on the same account so as to pretty much cover the fees and then some. The GE fee arrangement substantially decreases the cost of having the Amex Plat.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 15, 2013 at 10:07 pm
Old Oct 15, 2013, 10:16 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Why do so many on this board have a need to spread this misinformation about there being a preference for those who pay. The stated instruction is that those who have not paid are subject to randomly not getting Pre-Check here and there, but the experience of those of us who get Pre-Check from being frequent fliers is that we get it 100% of the time, and TSA just expanded the program to thousands who did not pay. How that translates into a preference for those who did pay is beyond me.
DHS/TSA has a preference for those who pay. TSA wants people to pay for their own ridiculous "background checks" in order to more frequently be preferred by the TSA for PreCheck LLL type screening. Don't pay? Then you'll either have to be in the ranks of one of Uncle Sam's favorites or hope for "managed inclusion".

As DHS/TSA has verbally indicated: those who don't pay the user fee for a "background check" won't get PreCheck LLL type screening anywhere near as frequently as those who do pay. TSA has shown its preference for those who are money/data-surrender monkeys.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
DL may not have a choice.
DL has some choices, but the TSA has its own choices so as to get what the TSA wants. Short of DL jumping out of PreCheck participation, the TSA's choices are likely to trump DL's choices in this regard.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 15, 2013 at 10:24 pm
Old Oct 15, 2013, 10:17 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Experienced the same at FLL yesterday. Clueless kettle taking off her coat, shoes, belt, opening laptop bag..... I simply walked around her, placed my cell phone and backpack on the xray belt and was through in a few seconds.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The $450 card can be pretty easily be made into a $250 card; add in some additional cards/authorized users on the account, and the $250 card may well turn out to not even cost half of even $250.
$200 in airline fees, and $100 in GE, make it a $150 card the first year. (Though it can be hard to get the $200 in airline fees. Last time I checked an oversize bag, DL just ignored that fact.) And the other bennies can easily be worth the difference.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 10:59 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I missed PreCheck for the first time ever ABQ-MSP Friday.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
TSA's actual stated goal is 25%, at least that's the revised percentage Pissy has been stating.
That is actually the percentage they want by the end of 2013. They want 50% by the end of 2014. I believe that 85% is the steady state goal.

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
Perhaps the 85 number comes from confusion with the $85 price tag, or the 85% that disapprove of TSA.
Yeah. That's it.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:36 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Look, after years of security theatre, new people being brought into pre-check have to overcome years of habit while going through security. The whole belt, shoes, coat, laptop, baggie thing is engrained in people's expectation of security that they're simply doing what they've been trained to do. With a little time, this will get better and the lines will move faster once people unlearn the habits of the past.

Truth is, once this gets going, this is going to make a better experience for a whole lot of people. Chalk up the delays to teething problems and stop complaining. This should be the norm for the majority, not a special perk for a few and they should have started doing this years ago.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:08 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
About a week or a little more ago, I posted that checkpoint 4 in MSP was changing - to only SP and TSAPre. Someone commented that they were told it was going to get really crazy at CP 4 which I did not understand how with all the kettles gone. I think we know why now if they are allowing a ton of newbies into PRE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.