Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta.com Says KLM Economy Comfort is Free for Delta PMs, But it's Not True

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta.com Says KLM Economy Comfort is Free for Delta PMs, But it's Not True

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:24 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA (new!) Silver, AA Hater, Marriott Down to Gold, Hilton grunt
Originally Posted by BER Flyer
A call to KLM here in Germany yielded the explanation that the KLM reservation system is NOT giving DL PM/DM's free E+ seats even if the status is recognized, for them you are only a Skyteam Elite plus and therefore get these seats with a discount according to the Flying blue rules. To solve this problem to have to call or fix it via the DL website to get the E+ seats for free.
But you can't use the DL website to fix it. Even if you think you have a seat assignment, toddler rules apply . . . when the toddler changes their mind, your stuck

I just don't have the time to deal with this KLM baggage for the TATL segments. I'm instituting the DL metal rule of thumb. Perhaps if DL has to keep adding Jets due to the refusal to fly on KLM for the TATL segments, they will either treat us better as customers or fix the computer issues.

I work in the computer industry involving many large installation environments and have a few observations:

We "can't fix it" usually means it's not a priority, you silly customer.
"It's a very complex issue" = We are out of date and incompetent so just live with this.
"You will have to call whoever.com" = Our alliance is a marketing farce and our B/C level managers just can't stand toe to toe with our partners to negotiate a better infrastructure for our customers.

Whew, I feel much better now
Old Dec 15, 2011, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by OnTimePlease
But you can't use the DL website to fix it. Even if you think you have a seat assignment, toddler rules apply . . . when the toddler changes their mind, your stuck

I just don't have the time to deal with this KLM baggage for the TATL segments. I'm instituting the DL metal rule of thumb. Perhaps if DL has to keep adding Jets due to the refusal to fly on KLM for the TATL segments, they will either treat us better as customers or fix the computer issues.

I work in the computer industry involving many large installation environments and have a few observations:

We "can't fix it" usually means it's not a priority, you silly customer.
"It's a very complex issue" = We are out of date and incompetent so just live with this.
"You will have to call whoever.com" = Our alliance is a marketing farce and our B/C level managers just can't stand toe to toe with our partners to negotiate a better infrastructure for our customers.

Whew, I feel much better now
Those observations are insightful. From my recent albeit minor headache of an experience trying to reconcile KLM and Delta seat assignments I got the impression that those observations all hit the mark
Old Dec 15, 2011, 3:04 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
What I find disappointing after skimming 6 pages of posts - most expressing frustration with the inconsistency and constant "arguing" (polite or otherwise) that needs to be done to get a published Medallion benefit - what I find really troubling is that after over 2 weeks and 6 pages - not one Delta online spokesperson has taken the time to post.

Even a "we understand the system is not perfect right now in facilitating the Economy Comfort benefits, but we are taking it up with our colleagues in X, Y, Z departments and with our partner airlines".

Nothing.

There are many good things happening at Delta, and from my own perspective I find DL to be a solid N. American carrier with an above average product in the marketplace. When it comes to the JV and partner carriers however, DL is truly terrible. None of the seamless inter-connectivity that FF enjoyed under the NW/KL days has been retained it seems. And it's been like this since the merger - with no real acknowledgement from Delta of the issues, or that it's even being looked at.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I just went trough it another time last weekend. Booked TXL-AMS-SFO ( KL metal ) SFO-SLC-BOS-AMS ( DL metal )-TXL on the KLM website.
Included my SM number at time of booking.
The following oberservations from the past still seem to be correct:
The KLM system is not able to confirm my status ( PM ) in real time, i was given no baggage allowance/EC discount at the time of booking despite having my Skymiles number correct in the system. But i was able to immediately pulling my reservation on the DL website and selecting E+ seats on the KLM operated flight for free and the selected seat sticked!
A call to KLM here in Germany yielded the explanation that the KLM reservation system is NOT giving DL PM/DM's free E+ seats even if the status is recognized, for them you are only a Skyteam Elite plus and therefore get these seats with a discount according to the Flying blue rules. To solve this problem to have to call or fix it via the DL website to get the E+ seats for free.
Some AF-KL ElitePlus members flying on DL are being hit with problems that are not much different. Worse yet, it seems like DL is trying to hold off on assigning preferred economy class seats until time of check-in for such customers who would be able to select those seats for free (if available) then.

This kind of messed up way (that messes up DL and AF-KL customers) makes DL and AF-KL more money from program and partner program elites than would otherwise be the case if seat assignment selections at time of booking or shortly thereafter (yet even long before check-in) weren't problematic.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by SamuelS
What I find disappointing after skimming 6 pages of posts - most expressing frustration with the inconsistency and constant "arguing" (polite or otherwise) that needs to be done to get a published Medallion benefit - what I find really troubling is that after over 2 weeks and 6 pages - not one Delta online spokesperson has taken the time to post.

Even a "we understand the system is not perfect right now in facilitating the Economy Comfort benefits, but we are taking it up with our colleagues in X, Y, Z departments and with our partner airlines".

Nothing.

There are many good things happening at Delta, and from my own perspective I find DL to be a solid N. American carrier with an above average product in the marketplace. When it comes to the JV and partner carriers however, DL is truly terrible. None of the seamless inter-connectivity that FF enjoyed under the NW/KL days has been retained it seems. And it's been like this since the merger - with no real acknowledgement from Delta of the issues, or that it's even being looked at.
This is not a DL owned or run board. You want a response from them you really should contact DL directly, not wait for them to reply to you here.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
DL, its corporate shills and other marketing hacks on FT, are part of the picture. DL does respond on FT but the responses are often no better or worse -- although perhaps more telling (in additional sorts of customer-unfriendly ways) -- than the responses gotten from communicating directly with DL corporate addresses, physical or otherwise, and the persons located at DL "managed" facilities. The latter approach, however, may involve a chance to get tossed a few miles here and there, not that it will fix things.

Things get "fixed" at DL and AF-KL when DL and AF-KL think it worth their money to "fix". Delivering on their promises for the sake of delivering on their promises is not a major motivator.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 6:38 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
This is not a DL owned or run board. You want a response from them you really should contact DL directly, not wait for them to reply to you here.
Facebook and Twitter are not Delta owned or run either last time I checked.

Other airlines and hotels also have representatives that actively participate on FT.

Active participation in social media, including major discussion forums, can be a valuable tool for savvy businesses. @:-)
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
To solve this problem to have to call or fix it via the DL website to get the E+ seats for free.
To rely on a (likely) misinformed DL agent or worse DL.com for my E+ seats is nothing short of foolish.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 8:16 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA (new!) Silver, AA Hater, Marriott Down to Gold, Hilton grunt
Originally Posted by mnredfox
To rely on a (likely) misinformed DL agent or worse DL.com for my E+ seats is nothing short of foolish.
I must agree wholeheartedly with my esteemed colleague on this one. You spend 10+ hours questioning your life and how smart you really are once you find yourself stuck in a middle seat in cattle class.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by OnTimePlease
I must agree wholeheartedly with my esteemed colleague on this one. You spend 10+ hours questioning your life and how smart you really are once you find yourself stuck in a middle seat in cattle class.
+1, I don't care how many miles I'll get for an angry TTU afterwards, I just want an EC seat as advertised.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 1:08 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Yesterday, I flew ABV-AMS on KLM (DL codeshare flight). I was able to pick EC seats on delta.com right after my travel agency booked the ticket. Today, I am flying AMS-IAD as part of the same itinerary and upgraded my EC seat at the KLM Crown Lounge to WBC for 15,000 Delta SkyMiles.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by DCBob
Today, I am flying AMS-IAD as part of the same itinerary and upgraded my EC seat at the KLM Crown Lounge to WBC for 15,000 Delta SkyMiles.
I didn't think that was even possible! What type of fare were you on? The lounge agent was able to do this....did they have access to your SkyMiles account?
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:02 am

Yesterday, I flew ABV-AMS on KLM (DL codeshare flight). I was able to pick EC seats on delta.com right after my travel agency booked the ticket. Today, I am flying AMS-IAD as part of the same itinerary and upgraded my EC seat at the KLM Crown Lounge to WBC for 15,000 Delta SkyMiles.
Yes, please give us details and have a pat on the back from me
Old Dec 18, 2011, 8:20 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Burj
I didn't think that was even possible! What type of fare were you on? The lounge agent was able to do this....did they have access to your SkyMiles account?
My KL boarding class showed I was originally in M class (but on delta.com it was shown as Y class). The KL lounge agent in AMS did this for me and I had to sign a form showing I was upgrading using 15K Delta SkyMiles. She knew my exact SkyMiles balance and repeated it to me, so she did have access to my account.

The only problem she had was that the computer at first blocked her from booking the upgrade because I had ordered a vegetarian meal on the incoming KL flight from ABV and a Bella Italia a la carte meal on the outgoing flight from AMS. But she called a supervisor and used a code to override the block because it was 5 hours before my flight and she could still pull the a la carte meal.

On board, however, the FA brought me a vegetarian meal (which I had not ordered) and told me they also had a Bella Italia meal not marked to show who the passenger was (which I thought was canceled). I told her that I would rather order from the WBC menu and got a great chicken fillet instead. Now I have to make sure I get a refund on the purchase of the Bella Italia meal. Lesson to all - don't order any special meals on a flight for which you want to get an upgrade.

Finally, although the miles earned have already posted for yesterday's upgraded flight, the 15K miles used for the upgrade have not yet been deducted.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 2:37 pm

My KL boarding class showed I was originally in M class (but on delta.com it was shown as Y class).
O.K. interesting! From a little searching is appears the "M" on KLM is "Economy Flexible" and is eligible for miles upgrade...just didn't know you could do it with DELTA miles! Congrats!

http://www.klm.com/travel/aw_en/plan...ions/index.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.