Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The "Upgrade Declined" Button

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by mnbp
This is exactly the point. "Upgrade Eligible" means "Upgrade Declined". If you EVER see "Upgrade Eligible" on your reservation, CALL immediately and get it fixed. There have been reports here on FT saying that this has been noticed to happen weeks after booking but before the flight. DL has no idea why this is happening, as far as has been posted here on FT.
Originally Posted by TTT
Exactly. Upgrade Eligible means that the passenger is eligible for the upgrade but that it has not yet been requested. Upgrade Requested means that the upgrade request has been processed and the passenger is in the upgrade queue.
However, delta.com uses the exact same "Upgrade Eligible" when you're signed in and searching for flights to purchase. At that point, it's used to denote that a flight has F/J seats that you may be able to upgrade into at some point. I'd suggest that they change the wording for when you didn't request an upgrade to something like "Upgrade Not Requested" to reduce the ambiguity.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 4:45 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flymonthly
However, delta.com uses the exact same "Upgrade Eligible" when you're signed in and searching for flights to purchase. At that point, it's used to denote that a flight has F/J seats that you may be able to upgrade into at some point. I'd suggest that they change the wording for when you didn't request an upgrade to something like "Upgrade Not Requested" to reduce the ambiguity.
That is a good point - I forgot about that. I guess more specifically, Upgrade Eligible on the itinerary page means you need to call - upgrade requested on the itinerary page means you are all set.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:16 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
What did the flight attendants look lke on this flight? Maybe your husband hit decline on your reservation!!!!

Just kidding
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat (lifetime)
Had a flight from DTW to MCO and at day 6 noticed a bunch of seats disappear in F. Called the DM desk and was told I declined the upgrade ( yeah, right!)
Changed status and immediately cleared.

Good advice below regarding seeing upgrade eligible next to your reservation.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott PPE,
Will it be fixed if one removes the skymiles # from the reservation and then re-adds it?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 5:48 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by egleicher
I bought both tickets, one after the other, on Delta's website but with separate credit cards. Thanks to the information provided in this thread, I now note that my confirmation states, "upgrade eligible," while my husband's states, "upgrade requested." To my way of thinking, "upgrade eligible" does NOT mean "upgrade declined." The agent's characterization of the two as equivalent goes a little too far. But it is a good lesson -- to Delta, "upgrade eligible" is apparently meaningless, even for its Platinum elites, unless a second call is made.
Did you buy his ticket first? And if so did you log him out and log in before booking your ticket?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 5:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by egleicher
This morning when my husband and I checked in for our flight tomorrow from DTW to BOS, I discovered that he (Gold Medallion) had been upgraded and I (Platinum) had not. So I called to inquire, and was told that when I booked I "pushed the upgrade-declined button" with my mouse for MY ticket. Never heard of this, never saw such a button/option, and am sure I would not have selected it. Anyone else encounter this problem or know where the "button" is located on the booking form? BTW, my disclaimer to the agent of any knowledge of this "button" availed me of nothing.
Its funny how there are reports here that agents keep saying we must have unchecked ourselves for the upgrade list. This same situation happaned to me LGA-MSY and when I saw FC was almost full at 2 days out and mock bookings showed V class available I called and asked why I didnt get upgraded and they said I never requested to be upgraded They fixed it and I cleared immediately.

This is not user error, but a Delta "glitch"
Old Oct 21, 2011, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I still don't get what is the purpose of the "upgrade eligible" status? Simply a status to get elites who don't know they have to call in mad, and those that do to create more work for DL agents?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 8:55 am

Note that when booking on delta.com, if you uncheck the "Request Upgrade" box under "More Booking Options", you will not see ANYTHING on your itinerary about upgrades. The entire upgrade block is missing, and it looks like a non-medallion itinerary. It will not even list "Upgrade Eligible" in the usual spot to the right of the seats on the flights. I have declined upgrade requests several times in the last few months when traveling with small children.

So that leads me to believe that seeing "Upgrade Eligible" next to a flight with FC seats is not an issue with accidentally un-checking the "Request Upgrade" box when booked at dl.com
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:22 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by CEUflyer
Note that when booking on delta.com, if you uncheck the "Request Upgrade" box under "More Booking Options", you will not see ANYTHING on your itinerary about upgrades. The entire upgrade block is missing, and it looks like a non-medallion itinerary. It will not even list "Upgrade Eligible" in the usual spot to the right of the seats on the flights. I have declined upgrade requests several times in the last few months when traveling with small children.

So that leads me to believe that seeing "Upgrade Eligible" next to a flight with FC seats is not an issue with accidentally un-checking the "Request Upgrade" box when booked at dl.com
Confirmed. When I checked on my flight last week, before checking in, there was nothing showing where there would be information about the UG being eliglible or requested.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Learned the hard way today to check for "Upgrade Requested." I passed the 6-day window for an LAX MR and noticed no upgrades. I called in to discover that I had "declined" the upgrade. Ha! 3/4 immediately cleared. The one that Didn't? ATL-LAX on the 77L... 7 seats left on a Monday evening. Ugh!

Just as a data point: I booked 3 identical trips one after another via Kayak. Before going to Kayak, I made sure that I was logged in on delta.com. The first one (today) everthing cleared at 6 days. The remaining 2 all said "Upgrade Eligible" until I called. What's scary is that a couple of trips that I had previously booked via delta.com also said "Upgrade Eligible" until I called. I don't know if they always said that or if the requests were removed somehow.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 8:35 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Marriott Platinum; Hertz PC
I'm in an interesting spot. I just got my FO status yesterday and I have a trip booked for Friday. That trip was booked prior to getting FO status.

Side note: I know my chances of upgrade are next to nothing, but it doesn't hurt to try.

When I check the flight on delta.com it says "Upgrade Eligible". I called and spoke to a rep and she said that everything was fine and that I was on the upgrade request list and all is well.

Taking the advice from this forum, I hung up and called back, speaking to someone else. I got the exact same answer from the second person. "Jus' hang loose, blood. She gonna catch ya up on da' rebound on da' up(grade) side." (paraphrasing, of course)

Update: I just checked again and now it says "Upgrade Requested". Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... seems the second call might have been a good idea!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.