Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA eating BE meal in Economy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Airplanes don't have a lot of extra room for a behind-the-scenes break room. I don't think it's appropriate to expect the F/As to always eat standing up. Eating in a jumpseat, without a tray-table, doesn't sound like a lot of fun, either.
I don't disagree. MY larger point was that whatever the Delta policy is on where FAs eat their meal is what should be followed. In other words:

If we know the standard, then we can agree or disagree with that. I'm sure there is a policy on where the FAs can, and cannot, take their meal breaks; just curious what that policy is.

Originally Posted by LarryJ
I guess they don't want us both to have "the fish"
Surely that is a good idea!!
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:09 am

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Most people when they fly pass the time by reading, using AVOD or sleeping. Eating takes up a small percentage of our time in the air. But yet, some people, fortunately not too many as evidenced by the posts here, have nothing better to do than worry about where the FA's eat. We are not flying in a 5 Star Restaurant, and I don't care about competing with any "high-class" foreign carriers. If anyone wants to worry about where the FA's eat, they should get a life. I feel sorry for those people if that is what their lives have come to to worry about this matter.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 1:09 pm

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by turnpike17
Really? No comment...
Next thing the OP is going to complain about the color of their seat.

Who cares what the FA eats? They are at work/rest. They didn't have a choice as to if they worked the BE or Y section probably.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 1:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Wow, all of this piling onto the OP! Perhaps he'll get a little more love once he's reached 10,000 FT posts.

FWIW, I don't have an issue with the FA eating a BE meal if everyone in that cabin has been served and received their requested meal choice first. But I do believe that employee meals should be consumed privately, out of view of the "guests". I'm assuming the OP was flying on the Airbus 333. I've never flown on this bird and SeatGuru does not identify where the crew seats are located. However, there certainly must be a more discrete location other than the jumpseat at Door 2 facing the Economy Cabin. Aren't there jumpseats in the front galley/closet area and/or the rear galley area? As much as you dislike watching the FA eat, I'm sure the FA is just as uncomfortable being stared-down by EC customers while trying to enjoy a brief meal break.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Who cares? I am a consultant and my client pays for my lunch. They still pay for their own lunch but they don't complain. It's part of the deal. Get over it, they do.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL Kryptonium & Diamond & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by nichojo
Who cares? I am a consultant and my client pays for my lunch. They still pay for their own lunch but they don't complain. It's part of the deal. Get over it, they do.
They may not complain about you eating lunch- but probably don't want you to come eat it in their office.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 2:39 pm

I once had a flight attendant eat a first class meal in the galley right beside me when we had not been served meals in the back of coach due to running out of coach meals. I was non-revving at the time, but thought that was pretty cheeky. In this case, who cares.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 3:29 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by BadgerFlyer91
They may not complain about you eating lunch- but probably don't want you to come eat it in their office.
I eat it in their cafeteria next to them.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL Kryptonium & Diamond & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by nichojo
I eat it in their cafeteria next to them.
Did the cafeteria staff eat with you as well?- that is the better comparison. OP stated meal service had been cleared. At that point I'm looking to relax, not sit face to face with a FA eating a better meal than I was offered.

Last edited by BadgerFlyer91; Sep 20, 2011 at 3:57 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Sep 20, 2011, 4:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
When I was a FA our contract specified that the crew meals were whatever was left from J-class. The service manual did however specify that you should not eat, drink, chew gum, etc in front of passengers.

The only issue is that the galleys can get really tight. There are a minimal amount of jumpseats in the back galley, so you end up having to pull out atlas bins ( the aluminum containers that hold cups, soda cans, snacks, etc) flipping them over and sitting on them. Lol not only is it hard and uncomfortable. But if the back galley fa's are busy prepping or still working in the galley you get in the way.

I personally would never had eaten in front of passengers because I do think it's just plain tacky. But I would've respected if other crew members opted to do so. Heck, I knew fa's that used to ask passengers to move to other empty seats if they were sitting on the last row of the a/c and then use those seats throughout the flight to sit afterwards and eat. Not sure which is worse.

Air France stocks chairs and even a small table (both are the kind that you assemble by just pulling out the legs). It Sure would beat sitting on an atlas container for hours. Lol
Old Sep 20, 2011, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
I have difficulties with begrudging an employee their meal in a very constricted venue.

(unless s/he gets ice cream)
Old Sep 20, 2011, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by flyldavid
The service manual did however specify that you should not eat, drink, chew gum, etc in front of passengers. ...
I personally would never had eaten in front of passengers because I do think it's just plain tacky.
Air France stocks chairs and even a small table (both are the kind that you assemble by just pulling out the legs).
I've seen the Air France fold-able galley chairs and they are very nifty, take up very little space when folded, and have their specific cubby hole/nook for storage...very cool...

That is the point that people, and I believe the OP, are trying to make...it IS tacky.

Now if that is Delta's standard or expectation of FAs by not providing a reasonable alternative...than be it.

HOWEVER when management types at Delta claim they think Delta can be a premium carrier in Asia and Transpac...

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/s...sia/43839052/1

They should understand that they can't be TACKY and ALSO be a premium carrier... It is one thing when your competition is USAirways, United, and Southwest...but to be a premium carrier in Asia means matching the polish and refinement of SQ, MH, CX, etc...
Old Sep 20, 2011, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
I have difficulties with begrudging an employee their meal in a very constricted venue.

(unless s/he gets ice cream)
lets see, I suppose the OP might think they could've eaten in the rest room?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA 11MM/EXP/Aairpass, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by waltinsocal
Most people when they fly pass the time by reading, using AVOD or sleeping. Eating takes up a small percentage of our time in the air. But yet, some people, fortunately not too many as evidenced by the posts here, have nothing better to do than worry about where the FA's eat. We are not flying in a 5 Star Restaurant, and I don't care about competing with any "high-class" foreign carriers. If anyone wants to worry about where the FA's eat, they should get a life. I feel sorry for those people if that is what their lives have come to to worry about this matter.
OK, I understand where you are coming from. From my perspective, my Mom drilled into me that you don't let anyone see things that they can't have. She said that was cruel. I have vivid memories in 8th grade, when on a multi-day field trip, I ate a candy bar out of sight of everyone else. There were 300 kids there, and only 20 of us had gotten them (a reward for the cabin that had caused the fewest problems).

Of the 20 or so kids who got the candy bars, all but one of them did the same thing I did. The other one ate it in full view of everyone else and taunted them as he ate it. While no physical harm ever came to him, I heard many people describe him as an incredible ....... for having done that.

I am sure the FA did not taunt the economy passengers. However, my Mom would have been outraged.

I really don't have a dog in this hunt, I just wanted to throw my Mom's two cents in (may she rest in peace).
Old Sep 20, 2011, 7:01 pm

Isn't this part of the new BE upgraded service?

So that BE is exclusive, FAs are now not allowed to be seen eating, resting etc. in the BE cabin, or in sight of BE clients? You go to McDonald's, you expect to see staff eating at the table next to you. But not at Lawry's.

Good job Delta!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.