Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA eating BE meal in Economy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:41 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by houserulz77
I for one agree that if Delta is going to compete with the high-end int'l carriers, any uniformed crew shouldn't be eating in front of Pax. On the other hand, crew should defiantly not be eating in a food prep area (the galley).
On a craft w/o a crew rest where does this leave them to eat? The lavs? The closets?

I do agree with the rest of your post though.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:44 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by exwannabe
On a craft w/o a crew rest where does this leave them to eat? The lavs? The closets?
Yes, the lavatory!!!
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I think its part of maintaining a professional image. Most planes have some jump seats that are out of passenger view, such as seats in the very rear or ones in/across from the galley. I think its the same reason that crew cannot be in the clubs in uniform. This all goes into creating a certain image and a certain feel that are important parts of whatever is left of flying feeling special (not that there is really any of this left anymore). When I am sitting in a cafe, I don't want the person serving me to sit down next to me. Its not because I don't like them or don't think they deserve a break or to be comfortable. Its all about creating a certain kind of feel.

And as I said in another post recently: I'm highly annoyed at anyone who appoints themselves judge of what is and is not a good post. If you really think its all stupid, find another website. The whole point of this forum is to discuss things about flying that most people do not find interesting, but that some people pay attention to and care about.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:44 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by donlind
Who cares, indeed!
You cared enough to add to the thread, it would seem.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:45 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
...I'm highly annoyed at anyone who appoints themselves judge of what is and is not a good post. If you really think its all stupid, find another website...
^
Old Sep 20, 2011, 5:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by Greg Reed
I took a flight last week from SEA to NRT, seated right at the front of Economy Comfort by the exit. A short time after the first meal service finished & had been cleared away, one of the FA's sat down on the jump seat right in front of me & ate a Business Elite meal.

Has anyone else experienced this, and found it distasteful? Seems like it is saying "Economy Class food is good enough for you peons in the back of the bus, but not good enough for the crew".

If they eat it behind the curtain in the galley that's one thing, but in full view of "valued" Economy passengers?

Comments?
Nothing else better to complain about? Where would you like her to eat, on the wing?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 5:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
I think its part of maintaining a professional image. Most planes have some jump seats that are out of passenger view, such as seats in the very rear or ones in/across from the galley. .
She was eating in front of the person, not having sex.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 6:12 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
In b4 the lock!!!
Old Sep 20, 2011, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
For my requirement to eat whilst on duty... I apologize...

I will do my best to not eat, breath, use the bathroom or move next time I am onboard...
Old Sep 20, 2011, 8:16 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Pot, meet Kettle. Kettle, meet Pot.

Originally Posted by vasantn
They probably shouldn't be allowed to use the lavs either. They can damn well "hold it" for 14 hours.
Excuse me Mr. Dinosaur, is that humor you're attempting to display on an otherwise serious thread about crew eating in front of pax? Perhaps you should take your show over to Facebook or Myspace as suggested here. This is, after all, a frequent flyer board and not a platform for budding humorists to showcase their talents.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
She was eating in front of the person, not having sex.
Dammit!
Old Sep 20, 2011, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by plagwate
Excuse me Mr. Dinosaur, is that humor you're attempting to display on an otherwise serious thread about crew eating in front of pax? Perhaps you should take your show over to Facebook or Myspace as suggested here. This is, after all, a frequent flyer board and not a platform for budding humorists to showcase their talents.
  1. Calling this a serious discussion is a stretch.
  2. That was sarcasm to make a point, not humor.
  3. Nothing wrong with occasional humor in a serious thread. JMHO, of course.
  4. But I must give you credit. Well played!
Old Sep 20, 2011, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
I think its part of maintaining a professional image. Most planes have some jump seats that are out of passenger view, such as seats in the very rear or ones in/across from the galley. I think its the same reason that crew cannot be in the clubs in uniform. This all goes into creating a certain image and a certain feel that are important parts of whatever is left of flying feeling special (not that there is really any of this left anymore). When I am sitting in a cafe, I don't want the person serving me to sit down next to me. Its not because I don't like them or don't think they deserve a break or to be comfortable. Its all about creating a certain kind of feel.
I disagree, and judging from this thread many other FFers do as well. Flying is a means to get where I need to be, and DL does an ok job of making that happen, but I don't know if I would call it "special." Whether or not a FA eats in front of me doesn't make a whit of difference to my experience.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:15 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
There are a LOT of things I wish DL would do differently, but on this subject, add my name to the "what's the big deal?" list.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:18 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by houserulz77
FAs should be entitled to what is left over.
It's not leftovers, it's a crew meal. Crew meals are catered in addition to the catering for the passengers. Sometimes they are the same meals, sometimes they are not. My airline, not Delta, will always have at least one crew meal that is different from the passenger meals to ensure that the Captain and F/O can eat different meals (I guess they don't want us both to have "the fish"). So if the passengers have two choices, we'll typically have three.

Airplanes don't have a lot of extra room for a behind-the-scenes break room. I don't think it's appropriate to expect the F/As to always eat standing up. Eating in a jumpseat, without a tray-table, doesn't sound like a lot of fun, either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.