Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA eating BE meal in Economy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
There are no seats in the galley. The only places the FA may sit down to eat their meal is in the jumpseat (which is reserved for crew, anyway) or in a crew rest area (which may have been occupied). It's unsafe (not to mention uncomfortable) to be standing in the galley to eat. And, if they were to stand in the galley to eat, I could imagine a similar thread about how someone saw a FA eating their food directly over the place where the passengers' food & drinks are prepared.

I don't see any issue with this at all. If you don't want to see the FAs doing anything except serving you, then choose a seat in the middle of the plane, or at least away from the line of sight of the jumpseat, crew rest area, galley, or cockpit.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:49 pm

Comments???

This was worthy of coming on here to post? LOL!

Another nominee for "useless post of the month" IMHO.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:54 pm

1) The galley is a food prep area. No one should be eating there for sanitary reasons. Often there is a jump seat opposite of the galley, I don't see any issue there. If anything I feel sorry for the FAs eating there as they are almost always next to the restrooms.

2) Outside of the A330, 777 and 744 the planes don't have crew pods.

3) F/J meals are contractual for PMNW FAs and all Pilots. PMDL FAs never had a contract. IIRC they have an actual crew meal which is the equivalent of the F/J meal.

If you're sitting in Y you just have to deal.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
Who cares, indeed!
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:59 pm

Perhaps the OP would prefer that the flight routed through Anchorage so the crew could go to the restaurent for dinner?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I think they should be clubbed to death. What an absolute liberty. I bet it is on faecesbook too.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by BadgerFlyer91
This issue isn't which meal they get BE/Economy. It's eating it in the jumpseat in front of you. I know they have to eat, but it should be in the Galley not in the jump seat. Somehow the word "uncouth" jumps to mind.
Yet, as a Marketeer, I see their eating a BE meal in full view of Y passengers as an opportunity to sell up. How many after seeing an FA enjoy such a meal will be driven to book BE for their next flight?

Having FAs eat huddled in the galley = lost opportunity.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
Yet, as a Marketeer, I see their eating a BE meal in full view of Y passengers as an opportunity to sell up. How many after seeing an FA enjoy such a meal will be driven to book BE for their next flight?

Having FAs eat huddled in the galley = lost opportunity.
Erm, none ?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Wayside
I believe it is in their contract to get a meal equivalent to the highest class of service for flights that meet certain criteria. Before the merger, I was on an MKE-MSP flight and the FA's had crew meals!

I think the pilots get them with flights longer than 5 hours or international flights that return to the U.S. (i.e. ATL-CUN-ATL), as well as all transoceanic flights. The FA's probably have a similar stipulation in their contract.
Correct! Though, it probably is a bit rude to eat that meal in front of all the E/E+ folks. Most of the time, they eat in the galley so you don't see them doing this!
Old Sep 19, 2011, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by donlind
Who cares, indeed!
Old Sep 19, 2011, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Why isn't this in the What's the Stupidest, Least Substantive Thing to Complain About thread? Oh wait, half of the threads on the first page probably belong there.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL charter DM2MM, UA Silver, marriott lifetime titanium hilton lif diamond , national exec elite
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Somehow, i tend to think that the OP would not have minded had they been upgraded to BE.
well yeah... cuz then they wouldn't have seen/known it happen/ed...
Old Sep 19, 2011, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by BadgerFlyer91
This issue isn't which meal they get BE/Economy. It's eating it in the jumpseat in front of you. I know they have to eat, but it should be in the Galley not in the jump seat. Somehow the word "uncouth" jumps to mind.
Yes because the hired help should not be seen eating as it is upalling to the paying pax
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Yes because the hired help should not be seen eating as it is upalling to the paying pax
They probably shouldn't be allowed to use the lavs either. They can damn well "hold it" for 14 hours.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Two things:

First - I think just about everyone can agree that we don't care what they have for dinner, as long as pax in BE have had their choice, FAs should be entitled to what is left over.

Second - We can debate where the meal gets eaten, but what I would like to know is this: what is the Delta service standard for this? Once we know that, then we can decide if the standard is appropriate.

I for one agree that if Delta is going to compete with the high-end int'l carriers, any uniformed crew shouldn't be eating in front of Pax. On the other hand, crew should defiantly not be eating in a food prep area (the galley). Either way, they should be eating wherever they are supposed to eat based on company policy.

Does anyone know what that policy is?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.