Wiki Posts
Search

DL78 ; Baby Diaper delay in Tampa

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IC.Spire Amb. Turkish Elite
DL78 ; Baby Diaper delay in Tampa

DL 78 to JFK scheduled to depart at 1205 still on ground at 2.50pm. Bird with regn N348NB had a baby diaper stuck in the toilet according to the GA. Estimated time of departure tentatively 4.00pm.How long does it take to unclog a lavatory? Many passengers with international connections in trouble. According to GA there is no replacement bird available.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
What moron tried to flush a diaper?

It would probably be easier than one would think to figure out the responsible passenger. There usually aren't that many infants on a given flight.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by havepointswilltravel
DL 78 to JFK scheduled to depart at 1205 still on ground at 2.50pm. Bird with regn N348NB had a baby diaper stuck in the toilet according to the GA. Estimated time of departure tentatively 4.00pm.How long does it take to unclog a lavatory? Many passengers with international connections in trouble. According to GA there is no replacement bird available.
That stinks!!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Flight is now canceled according to delta.com

Why would one inoperable toilet keep a plane on the ground? I'm sure people would rather put up with the inconvenience of having one less lav as opposed to the inconvenience of a canceled flight. Did the clog somehow disable the entire lav system?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Wow, cancelled because of a diaper... Bummer!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
That is pretty sh$ty.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: delta skymiles
Originally Posted by AUDirt
What moron tried to flush a diaper?

It would probably be easier than one would think to figure out the responsible passenger. There usually aren't that many infants on a given flight.
Unless it was from the previous flight.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by fairviewroad

Why would one inoperable toilet keep a plane on the ground? I'm sure people would rather put up with the inconvenience of having one less lav as opposed to the inconvenience of a canceled flight. Did the clog somehow disable the entire lav system?

If it just one toilet I am surprised they cancelled the flight. I have been on flights before where one of the LAVs was out of order and one time on an American Eagle DTW/ORD they did the flight with the only lav on board out of order. The gate agent made an announcement warning people the toilet was out of order before they started boarding.

What idiot would flush a diaper though??? It should be pretty easy to figure out who the guilty person is.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IC.Spire Amb. Turkish Elite
:
Originally Posted by fairviewroad

1205 DL 78 finally cancelled at 1515. Mad rush to find other flights. It's 1720 and a lot ofpassengers are trying to retrieve checked belongings which are coming in on the belt at an alarming slow rate. Have to deal with cancelled hotel reservations, meetings and other connecting flights. Wonder if I am "entitled " to any compensation.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
What idiot would flush a diaper though??? It should be pretty easy to figure out who the guilty person is.
Agree that anyone who'd try to flush a diaper is an idiot.

Don't necessarily agree that it would be easy to figure out who did it. It would be obvious if there was just one baby on board...but that seems pretty unlikely for a summertime flight to Florida. If there were even two pax with babies on the flight, how would you figure out which party is responsible if they both deny it? Probably not worth the effort for DL to even try....
Old Jul 21, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
That is pretty sh$ty.
My Sky Vodka + Sprite just went up and out of my nose making a royal mess in the B13 Skyclub.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
That is pretty sh$ty.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 5:23 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Sounds like it's time we had a CSI team to investigate these mysterious incidents.

Flushing of Diapers.
Sticking gum under armrests.
Seat pocket full of used tissues.

And More.....

12 minutes with that Diaper and they'd have had a DNA profile and probably matched it to our perp. Hollywood style!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 5:28 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by havepointswilltravel
Estimated time of departure tentatively 4.00pm.How long does it take to unclog a lavatory? Many passengers with international connections in trouble. According to GA there is no replacement bird available.
Hmmmm...JFK, in the summer. Might be a possibility that once they lost their departure slot due to the lav issue, that it turned into an ATC issue of not having a slot available at JFK.

Nice to know some people are feeling pampered on the flight though.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 6:00 pm

My wife and 2 kids were on a flight with a similar issue yesterday on UA SMF-ORD -- 757 with apparently 2 lavs inop (the plane came in from ORD 4 hours late, just 2 hours before this 6AM flight, so perhaps a servicing time issue?)

The pilot originally said they couldn't fly all the way to ORD, would have to stop in DEN, then continue to ORD an hour+ late (missing their flight to PIT). Flight status and 3rd party trackers showed the diversion. She called me and I called UA to protect them on a later connection, fortunately confirming that they were still booked on the original in case it was delayed.

Well, once in the air, they apparently decided they could make it to ORD after all, and arrived on time, making the connection easily. Sounds like everyone was allowed to use the FC and front Y lavs.

I'm sure there a lot of carrier-specific rules on how long of a flight is allowed with N inop lavatories, which must have bitten this DL flight; I suspect it took the UA pilot time to get authorization to fly, what, an hour farther?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.