Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Just watched someone "guest" in 9 family members into the E SC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just watched someone "guest" in 9 family members into the E SC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by GBadger
Though true, this is not the whole truth (AFAIK)...

Kids are allowed in if accompanied by their parents. For example, I may not (by the rules) guest in someone unrelated to me who is younger than 18.
Yes, you may. The rule is that you may not "guest" (as opposed to "family") anyone under the age of 21 IF the SC has a self-serve bar. Not sure why this is the case but dems the rules.

"A member may bring immediate family (spouse or domestic partner and children under 21 years of age) or up to two (2) guests (age 21 or older, if a Club with a self-service bar) into the Delta Sky Club, provided that Delta determines that adequate space exists."

Originally Posted by GBadger
I should note that I'm in favor of the current rules (2 guests OR immediate family), assuming that they are enforced uniformly, and that families are respectful and don't cause commotion while in the SC.
"Delta reserves the right to refuse admittance to anyone who interferes with the business-like atmosphere of the Delta Sky Club."

That means, NO ONE makes a commotion, including the somewhat inebriated DM (with or without hat).
Old Jun 29, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 3M; AA, FB, UA some lower status
Originally Posted by kicker
Just my two cents, but I'd rather see kids not allowed in the sky club.
What is it about children that offends you?

I have no problem with-well behaved children in the Sky Club (including my own). If you had said you'd "rather see unruly kids not allowed in the sky club", then I would almost agree with you. If you had said you'd "rather see unruly people not allowed in the sky club", including the loud, obnoxious, self-important adults I see in there quite frequently, then we are in complete agreement.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bicostal
Yes, you may. The rule is that you may not "guest" (as opposed to "family") anyone under the age of 21 IF the SC has a self-serve bar. Not sure why this is the case but dems the rules.
Right -- sorry most of the SC I visit (with the exception of SFO and JFK) have self-serve bars.

Originally Posted by Bicostal
That means, NO ONE makes a commotion, including the somewhat inebriated DM (with or without hat).
Correct. Most of the pushback seemed to be towards families causing commotions, which is why I oriented my defense in that manner.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nytraveller53
Here's how I see it. UNLESS the agent said otherwise, this family of 9 is no big deal, and we shouldn't be worrying about it. After all, right now, it doesn't affect us. So until it does, let's leave the job of policing to the people who actually have the right to: the SkyClub agents.
Originally Posted by mrredskin
probably won't bicker as much as kicker would, either
Bickering about bickering is still bickering.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Tom Williams
What is it about children that offends you?

I have no problem with-well behaved children in the Sky Club (including my own). If you had said you'd "rather see unruly kids not allowed in the sky club", then I would almost agree with you. If you had said you'd "rather see unruly people not allowed in the sky club", including the loud, obnoxious, self-important adults I see in there quite frequently, then we are in complete agreement.
There is nothing about children that offends me, however, it is impossible to differentiate a well behaved child from one that isn't without a psych eval. Asking unruly kids to leave would just create confrontation and lead to the feeling of alienation. Im sure that your kids are well behaved, unfortunately it is the few that really ruin it for everyone. And for the record, I don't blame the kids, I blame the parents. A two-year old is incapable of understanding the etiquette of public behavior.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
. A two-year old is incapable of understanding the etiquette of public behavior.
Which is EXACTLY why they should be in the Club and sporting DM tags
Old Jun 29, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by Lab_rat_79
One SC member checked himself in as well as 9 (!) family members. By my count, 4 adults and 5 kids (~ 5-15).
Hey for Utah that would be perfectly normal. Though it does sound a bit shy on the number kids for three wives.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:42 pm

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
A two-year old is incapable of understanding the etiquette of public behavior.
... the same can be said of many adults in the SC or in FC (ergo the endless threads we have on them topics).
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:53 pm

Programs: Charter Member Delta Diamond Medallion, Lifetime AA Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hilton & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
The SC rules are a bit of a mess...

It is sad to know that I can take two guests, but Mike Brady can bring in the whole Brady Bunch. I would be happy with a two guest limit. Period..

I am also one for putting an age limit on the clubs. Granted some adults are worse than some kids, i feel the SC should be considered an adult place.
If I understand the Delta SkyClub rules, I've heard that Mike Brady is, unfortunately, dead. However, his cheerful wife could bring in his cremains as carry on baggage at the DTW SkyClub and stow it with the checked baggage. Then she could guest in two more adults (hopefully Alice) and a friend so they could toast to his memory while consuming the spicy nut mix and real cheese with the remainder of the Brady bunch. For additional good form, they could then request a shower at the DTW SkyClub so they could cast his ashes down the shower drain to be recycled into the Detroit River.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 9:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by ceieoc
For additional good form, they could then request a shower at the DTW SkyClub so they could cast his ashes down the shower drain to be recycled into the Detroit River.
Plus Flo' could finally get rid of those crabs she wrote about in her new autobiography.

Last edited by plagwate; Jun 29, 2011 at 9:58 pm
Old Jun 30, 2011, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
SC's aren't a zoo because of the hordes of SC members +9 coming in, it's because DL is trying to get everyone and their mom in with the DM free and the $25 with your Amex Gold card.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 12:31 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by ceieoc
If I understand the Delta SkyClub rules, I've heard that Mike Brady is, unfortunately, dead. However, his cheerful wife could bring in his cremains as carry on baggage at the DTW SkyClub and stow it with the checked baggage. Then she could guest in two more adults (hopefully Alice) and a friend so they could toast to his memory while consuming the spicy nut mix and real cheese with the remainder of the Brady bunch. For additional good form, they could then request a shower at the DTW SkyClub so they could cast his ashes down the shower drain to be recycled into the Detroit River.
And then they could refill said Zip lock bag, formerly full of ashes with Biscoff cookies and yogurt pretzels
Old Jun 30, 2011, 4:58 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox
SC's aren't a zoo because of the hordes of SC members +9 coming in, it's because DL is trying to get everyone and their mom in with the DM free and the $25 with your Amex Gold card.
And the ~1,000,000 Amex Platinum cards that get the cardholder free entry and a fee paid to DL for each visit (so valuable that DL is given Membership Rewards miles to Amex-sponsored visitors!).
Old Jun 30, 2011, 5:03 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
The Skyclub rules are pretty clear. You either get 2 guests OR immediate family which ONLY includes spouse or domestic partner and children under 21 years of age. Parents/siblings/adult children/etc. are not considered immediate family under the Skyclub entrance rules. The agent was absolutely correct. The party of 9 family was also a violation of the rules.
It sounds like it was the host, four adults, and five kids. We have no reason to think the 5 kids aren't the host's (indeed, two families near me, both DL flying families, have 5 kids) and at least one of the adults was the host's spouse.

That leaves three rogue adult entries at a minimum. (Of course, some of the 5 kids could have been with the rogue adults, but we don't have any information on that.)

Though I don't have any reason to believe it would be the case here, I'm sure this has come up - how do they interpret the policy for polygamous families traveling with multiple spouses? What if someone were traveling from RUH (on the new DL codeshare ), would that man, assuming he is an SC member, be able to bring his immediate family with him (which could include 4 wives)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.