Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Just watched someone "guest" in 9 family members into the E SC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Duke of Bombay Fan Club

Ok, so this isn't going to be as epic as the Duke of Bombay's sighting a few months ago... However, I walked in behind a family reunion checking into the sky club... One SC member checked himself in as well as 9 (!) family members. By my count, 4 adults and 5 kids (~ 5-15).

They started to head into the center "quiet zone" but then decided that it might not be the best idea. They have now commandeered on of the corner rooms overlooking the ramp.

Not looking to start a debate about kids in the SC, but this has to be the most liberal interpretation of "family" that I have seen.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:06 am

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Good for them. They're taking advantage of the SkyClub. As long as they aren't causing problems, there is no problem.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nytraveller53
Good for them. They're taking advantage of the SkyClub. As long as they aren't causing problems, there is no problem.
Yeah - no issues. I was worried when they just about set up camp in the quiet zone, but they corrected that. The kids are very well behaved.

I was just amazed that there were 9 family members travelling together. It would take a act of God for my family to arrange a trip for the 4 of us together.

As always YMMV...
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:26 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Absent multiple memberships, this is wrong. It isn't about their behavior it's about Delta and their rules. They are at least 2 adults over the limit and with four adults, it stands to reason that one or more of the juveniles may well be unrelated to the cardholder.

I am all for a little leeway - Grampa traveling with cardholder and family or the family traveling with a friend of one of the children, but 9? Over the top.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:39 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by Lab_rat_79

I was just amazed that there were 9 family members travelling together. It would take a act of God for my family to arrange a trip for the 4 of us together.

As always YMMV...
Are you really sure there weren't two family members that belonged?

Bob H
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:43 am

Programs: DL DM, MM; Marriott PLAT, Hilton DIA
A few years ago I was traveling with my wife and my parents.... Went to the CR in Denver and was given a hard time about the two guest rule. When I said they are family, she said that the family is the members spouse and kids.

After getting a short lecture about how they need to control population in the crown room, she let us in.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoldboxATL
A few years ago I was traveling with my wife and my parents.... Went to the CR in Denver and was given a hard time about the two guest rule. When I said they are family, she said that the family is the members spouse and kids.

After getting a short lecture about how they need to control population in the crown room, she let us in.
The Skyclub rules are pretty clear. You either get 2 guests OR immediate family which ONLY includes spouse or domestic partner and children under 21 years of age. Parents/siblings/adult children/etc. are not considered immediate family under the Skyclub entrance rules. The agent was absolutely correct. The party of 9 family was also a violation of the rules.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:13 am

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Here's how I see it. UNLESS the agent said otherwise, this family of 9 is no big deal, and we shouldn't be worrying about it. After all, right now, it doesn't affect us. So until it does, let's leave the job of policing to the people who actually have the right to: the SkyClub agents.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BobH
Are you really sure there weren't two family members that belonged?

Bob H
Pretty sure. Watched the whole thing go down. The SC attendants were trying to figure out if they were all in the same group. The SC attendant talking with one gentleman said - they're all with me. The agent had them all line up to make sure they were all together.

At this point, another attendant started checking me in. I walked away about the same time. I can't say with 100% conviction that there was only one SC member, but I would wager a good amount on it.

As I mentioned earlier - they aren't causing any issues in the club, so I really don't have an issue with it. However, the sheer number of people certainly raised my eyebrow, and thus caused me to make the post here.

FWIW, I enjoy bringing a friend or two into the club with me, but if I were travelling with a larger group, I wouldn't think of dragging them all into the club with me. It's my opinion that they may have stretched the definition of family a bit to far in this case.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
This is FT... we have the right to police anything we want, and our burden of proof is a few steps below a preponderance of the evidence.

How do we know that the family in question didn't have more than one SC member or other means of accessing the club?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:19 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Just my two cents, but I'd rather see kids not allowed in the sky club.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by kicker
Just my two cents, but I'd rather see kids not allowed in the sky club.
Oh boy. Ladies and gentleman, fasten your seatbelts!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Oh boy. Ladies and gentleman, fasten your seatbelts!
You beat me to it. :-)
I am fortunate that I can travel with my teenager, who is remarkably well behaved when let outside the house. He is more polite and classy than 50% of the people I see in the Sky Clubs.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by tikiboy
You beat me to it. :-)
I am fortunate that I can travel with my teenager, who is remarkably well behaved when let outside the house. He is more polite and classy than 50% of the people I see in the Sky Clubs.
probably won't bicker as much as kicker would, either
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:38 am

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
Families are almost always accompanied by more noise and mayhem then you'd have if the same number of individual guests were coming in. I really don't understand the policy of allowing an infinite number of family members in and cracking down on a member who, maybe once per year, wants to bring in 3 guests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.