Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta using MD-88s on ATL-ALB?!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2011, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Delta using MD-88s on ATL-ALB?!

I just priced a trip leaving from ALB (my hometown). I noticed that Delta is operating their ATL-ALB route using an MD88! What the heck! The most we've EVER gotten from DL before has been on a CRJ-700...does anyone have any insight to this? Is Delta planning to expand their service to ALB?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
See the detailed discussion on the financials of upgauging and reducing frequency to keep capacity constant in the December 2010 investor presentations.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 3:39 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
I've noticed this from PIT too... All flights to ATL are MD-88 or DC-9, and some to MSP/DTW are mainline as well. Last year they were mostly DL connection carriers.

But then what are they doing with all the CRJs and ERJs operated by their connection carriers? They must have some sort of contract so they can't just drastically reduce the flights they operate without any penalty, right?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 4:26 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Marriott Bonvoy
Same with ATL-OMA. Started to see MD-88s again last year and MD-90s this year after serveral years of CRJ/CR7s.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 4:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by nytraveller53
The most we've EVER gotten from DL before has been on a CRJ-700...does anyone have any insight to this?
Far from the most ALB has "EVER gotten before." There used to be regular flights on M88s and 738s. In fact, during the DLX days I believe there were nonstops to Florida as well as ATL, CVG, etc.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:51 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Yup, some routes seem to be getting significantly more mainline and larger aircraft for sure.

Others (like 80% of the Canadian routes) went from DC9, A319/A320 to all connection carrier jungle jets.

Maybe now that the Canadian Government has kyboshed the proposed UA/AC JV, DL can try and re-establish it's presence and regain some of the former PMNW strength it had.

Going even further OT, I know the Saabs are all going, aren't the CRJ-50s getting progressively phased out too?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Originally Posted by nytraveller53
I just priced a trip leaving from ALB (my hometown). I noticed that Delta is operating their ATL-ALB route using an MD88! What the heck! The most we've EVER gotten from DL before has been on a CRJ-700...does anyone have any insight to this? Is Delta planning to expand their service to ALB?
ALB was 72S heaven before 9/11
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:03 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Cool

Wait - did I read this right your concerned about a real jet like an MD88 vs the cramped jet wannabe CRJ LOL
Old Jun 30, 2011, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Originally Posted by JHIN
Wait - did I read this right your concerned about a real jet like an MD88 vs the cramped jet wannabe CRJ LOL
Oh, I'm thrilled with the MD88s, compared to tiny CRJs. But if we could only get a 77L one of these days...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.