Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2021, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smithwicks70
In the same boat as you I think. SAN to BUF and back, upgrades on the wide body to DTW are running at $600 each. Cost difference at booking for first all the way thru was $600.
Not exactly the same. The widebody is on the short-haul segment ATL-CVG in his case, while TUS-ATL is domestic narrowbody equipment. Yours is the reverse.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 2, 2021 at 10:27 pm
Old Jun 2, 2021, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AZwldcats
Thanks,

I only chose this route for the 763 ATL-CVG.(I'm jonesing for a widebody. lol)
Interesting that they're using the 763 to CVG.
AZwldcats likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 6:29 am

Programs: Delta PM
ATL->LAS, 7/10 - $547.17, 50,900 SM on a 767-4
Old Jun 4, 2021, 1:13 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
I'm sure this has been discussed upthread, but I booked a recent flight (wanted $70 r/t for C+ pre-purchase) and the post-purchase UG offer was the normal $18 r/t for this route. Normally, I take my free UG, but with the promo, I've been spending the extra 9 bucks for the 1.75 MQDs.

Annnnnyyyyyyway, I realized that Delta wanted like $140 on the outbound, but only $50 for F on the return, and the return is a late flight out of LGA on a summer Thursday (thunderstorms, anyone?). Out of habit, I bought C+ post-purchase, but quickly realized it just paid to buy F. However, the seat map on both desktop and mobile won't show anything other than C+, and after waiting 4 hours for a callback and then another 10 minutes, I got what sounded like a first-day agent who said "computer says no." What's with this glitch that Delta won't sell me another UG after buying one already?
Old Jun 4, 2021, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ekozie
I'm sure this has been discussed upthread, but I booked a recent flight (wanted $70 r/t for C+ pre-purchase) and the post-purchase UG offer was the normal $18 r/t for this route. Normally, I take my free UG, but with the promo, I've been spending the extra 9 bucks for the 1.75 MQDs.

Annnnnyyyyyyway, I realized that Delta wanted like $140 on the outbound, but only $50 for F on the return, and the return is a late flight out of LGA on a summer Thursday (thunderstorms, anyone?). Out of habit, I bought C+ post-purchase, but quickly realized it just paid to buy F. However, the seat map on both desktop and mobile won't show anything other than C+, and after waiting 4 hours for a callback and then another 10 minutes, I got what sounded like a first-day agent who said "computer says no." What's with this glitch that Delta won't sell me another UG after buying one already?
It's not a glitch. If you buy an FCM upgrade it won't offer one to next level. The FCM upgrades are non-changeable and non-refundable (and that includes purchase another upgrade). It's in the T&C's. You may be able to get a good deal with FCM (compared to just upfaring at time of purchase), but these FCM offers also have drawbacks and they are not the same as doing an upfare.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 1:31 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by xliioper
It's not a glitch. If you buy an FCM upgrade it won't offer one to next level. The FCM upgrades are non-changeable and non-refundable (and that includes purchase another upgrade). It's in the T&C's. You may be able to get a good deal with FCM (compared to just upfaring at time of purchase), but these FCM offers also have drawbacks and they are not the same as doing an upfare.
I've seen second FCM offers DoD and they were the same price as going MC to F and C+ to F. I'm happy to throw away the 9 bucks. I guess allowing this would only enable a very small additional revenue stream, but it's still $$ I'm trying to give Delta.

Last edited by ekozie; Jun 4, 2021 at 1:42 pm
Old Jun 20, 2021, 1:23 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
How do Skymiles-based upgrades/FCM work on multi-passenger itineraries?

If there are multiple people on 1 PNR and I want to use miles to move from main cabin to C+, how does that work? Do the points come from each individual's Skymiles account? Or does 1 person need to have enough miles to upgrade everyone in the whole party? If possible, I'd like to have multiple people on 1 PNR, but be able to pay for a C+ upgrade out of each individual's Skymiles account. (I normally fly alone, so not sure how this would work!)

For more detail, I'm planning a trip for a group of 3: me (GM) and 2 regular Skymiles members. I'd like to have us on 1 PNR for the checked bag benefits (none of us has a DL credit card) and in case of IRROPS. That being said, the 2 regular Skymiles members each have enough points to probably make use of a C+ upgrade offer (maybe an FCM, but I doubt it), and they want to use up their Skymiles balance because they don't fly DL that often.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ryw
If there are multiple people on 1 PNR and I want to use miles to move from main cabin to C+, how does that work? Do the points come from each individual's Skymiles account? Or does 1 person need to have enough miles to upgrade everyone in the whole party? If possible, I'd like to have multiple people on 1 PNR, but be able to pay for a C+ upgrade out of each individual's Skymiles account. (I normally fly alone, so not sure how this would work!)

For more detail, I'm planning a trip for a group of 3: me (GM) and 2 regular Skymiles members. I'd like to have us on 1 PNR for the checked bag benefits (none of us has a DL credit card) and in case of IRROPS. That being said, the 2 regular Skymiles members each have enough points to probably make use of a C+ upgrade offer (maybe an FCM, but I doubt it), and they want to use up their Skymiles balance because they don't fly DL that often.
You would have to split up all 3 PNRs to do it that way. If it’s all on one PNR, the miles will come out of the account that is logged in.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 4:17 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
You would have to split up all 3 PNRs to do it that way. If it’s all on one PNR, the miles will come out of the account that is logged in.
I was afraid that’d be the case - thanks for confirming! I’ll have to talk it over and figure out how they want to proceed
Old Jul 2, 2021, 6:51 pm

$149 FAI-MSP 8/28
Deciding.....
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mykidissmarterthanyou
$149 FAI-MSP 8/28
Deciding.....
Plane type? If that’s on a 739, I’m taking that in a heartbeat over being stuck in Y/C+ on the 739. Don’t forget an FCM this early is likely to put you into a revenue F bucket so you’ll also get 1.75x on the accelerator if you need MQM for status (or rollover).

EDIT: Just looked and see it’s a 738. That’s a little bit closer, the C+ on the 738 is comfy and row 1 on the 738 is terrible. That said I would still snag that with row 4 open (and the possibility they upgauge to a 739 if Alaska demand remains strong)
Old Jul 2, 2021, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Duke787
… it’s a 738 … possibility they upgauge to a 739 if Alaska demand remains strong …
mid-June data point: two days in a row, FAI-SEA flights were downgauged (739 —> 738) at T-24
Duke787 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by mykidissmarterthanyou
$149 FAI-MSP 8/28
Deciding.....
My usual decider is <$60/hour, it’s a yes. And with the current bonus MQD and MQM bonus this would be a yes for me.
And if it goes from 739 to 738, 4 FC seats go away so if selecting on a 739, be sure to select rows 1-4.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 5:44 am

We're sorry. We are unable to process your request. Please continue to the seat map and try again. If this problem persists, please call our Online Customer Support Desk at 888-750-3284 for assistance.

I'll try again later
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 7:58 am

Programs: Delta PM
LAS->ATL red eye on 7/12 - $547.17 or 50,900K

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.