Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2021, 11:18 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
#15 on SFO-ATL is pretty amazing for a Silver, that's a really tough upgrade even for a DM.
I recently cleared a Thursday afternoon SFO-ATL at the DM window on a Saturday. Granted it was a 763, so more seats, but still...
Old Aug 17, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Zorak
I recently cleared a Thursday afternoon SFO-ATL at the DM window on a Saturday. Granted it was a 763, so more seats, but still...
Business travel is still wayyy down right now so this makes sense.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 12:33 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Business travel is still wayyy down right now so this makes sense.
Oh I know, it's a sign of the times...
Old Aug 17, 2021, 10:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Delta wanted $289.00 for an UG on the LGA-DCA "shuttle", which is now a flight with no FA service whatsoever. I passed on this but ended up #1 on the UG list and got one of 3 open F seats on the E175.
MSPeconomist, cmd320 and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 7:28 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Not First but D1. Upgraded from Main cabin to D1 on return from CDG to ATL for me, my wife and two kids. I usually ignore the buy ups but could not hit the upgrade button fast enough with this one! Forgot to mention this was booked with 34k Skymiles main cabin round trip tickets.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Grun68
Not First but D1. Upgraded from Main cabin to D1 on return from CDG to ATL for me, my wife and two kids. I usually ignore the buy ups but could not hit the upgrade button fast enough with this one! Forgot to mention this was booked with 34k Skymiles main cabin round trip tickets.
Wow... That's actually a fantastic deal.
dtwtransport and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by Grun68
Not First but D1. Upgraded from Main cabin to D1 on return from CDG to ATL for me, my wife and two kids.
I wouldn't have bragged about that offer until after the flight happened.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 9:42 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
[QUOTE=Grun68;33508286]Not First but D1. Upgraded from Main cabin to D1 on return from CDG to ATL for me, my wife and two kids. I usually ignore the buy ups but could not hit the upgrade button fast enough with this one! Forgot to mention this was booked with 34k Skymiles main cabin round trip tickets.

I’m guessing there was quite an oversell in the back.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 9:58 am

Paid Seat Upgrade (Tips or tricks?)

I have some Delta flights coming up and am trying to get an upgrade for one of the segments. The price has not moved much in the last few weeks away from ~$300, but more first class seats are showing as available. There are still about 3 weeks till the flight.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get a better price? I don't mind paying for an upgrade to first class for this specific segment, but at $300 it's just too much for me to justify. Do phone reps. have any ability to discount them? Has anyone seen if Delta might be more active to discount them the day before or day of the flight?

If not, I'll just continue monitor them daily like I already have been. If a deal comes up, then great, otherwise I'll let it go.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 10:09 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Trick 1: wait
Trick 2: buy now incase it goes up
Old Aug 23, 2021, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Trick 1: wait
Trick 2: buy now incase it goes up
Thanks... figured as much. I'll hold off then, the current price is too high.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ankitgu
I have some Delta flights coming up and am trying to get an upgrade for one of the segments. The price has not moved much in the last few weeks away from ~$300, but more first class seats are showing as available. There are still about 3 weeks till the flight.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get a better price? I don't mind paying for an upgrade to first class for this specific segment, but at $300 it's just too much for me to justify. Do phone reps. have any ability to discount them? Has anyone seen if Delta might be more active to discount them the day before or day of the flight?

If not, I'll just continue monitor them daily like I already have been. If a deal comes up, then great, otherwise I'll let it go.
No DL agent that you can reach would be authorized to negotiate on prices or fares.

If you have some DL miles, you may be able to use them to pay part or all of the upgrade cost.

FCM upgrade prices go up and down. Sometimes you can buy a cheap upgrade during OLCI at T-24.

Be sure you understand whether the ticket is being rebooked in a higher cabin (fare) class or you're just purchasing an upgraded seat. Look carefully at whether the upgrade is for one segment or the entire itinerary, etc.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Be sure you understand whether the ticket is being rebooked in a higher cabin (fare) class or you're just purchasing an upgraded seat. Look carefully at whether the upgrade is for one segment or the entire itinerary, etc.
100%

Pay very close attention to this because often the seat upgrade price for a single leg will be more $ than just paying the fare difference to the cheapest J fare.

I do Y -> J upfares all the time and I can't recall a single instance where the buy up offer on an individual segment was a better price than just upfaring the whole leg of the trip. I'm not saying it doesn't happen as there are some reports here of people getting great buy up offers, but I've just never experienced it myself.
volabam and Duke787 like this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 2:30 pm

No DL agent that you can reach would be authorized to negotiate on prices or fares.

If you have some DL miles, you may be able to use them to pay part or all of the upgrade cost.

FCM upgrade prices go up and down. Sometimes you can buy a cheap upgrade during OLCI at T-24.

Thank you very much. I'll check into a mileage upgrade, upgrade during check in, and to make sure I'm looking at the relevant price.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
And sometimes the FCM offers just disappear some days out before departure, never to return.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.