Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2020, 9:55 pm

Did FCM die or just go crazy? The flights we've booked have all required connections each way, and the upgrade prices for a single segment have ~$280-$540, which usually exceeds the main cabin price for all four legs. But hey, if DL can get people to pay those kinds of prices, good for them.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 9:39 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by nall
Did FCM die or just go crazy? The flights we've booked have all required connections each way, and the upgrade prices for a single segment have ~$280-$540, which usually exceeds the main cabin price for all four legs. But hey, if DL can get people to pay those kinds of prices, good for them.
It may be that the pricing algorithm computes a higher FCM price for a lower purchased fare, so the pervasive low fares cause high FCM offers.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by nall
Oh sure kinda like the algorithm that wanted $399 to upgrade ORD DTW and then everyone on the upgrade list got an F seat at the gate. I wonder what coma DL's ancillary revenue team is on.
cmd320 and strickerj like this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by fly747first
Oh sure kinda like the algorithm that wanted $399 to upgrade ORD DTW and then everyone on the upgrade list got an F seat at the gate. I wonder what coma DL's ancillary revenue team is on.
I seem to clear most of the time on DTW/ORD and always on DTW/MDW and MDW/DTW but I've actually seen zero seats on ORD/DTW more than once and as a diamond have sat in the back of the bus probably 25 percent of the time on that flight. I think a lot of times though coming back it's people connecting. I wouldn't pay $39 to upgrade on that short of a flight much less $399
Old Sep 9, 2020, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I seem to clear most of the time on DTW/ORD and always on DTW/MDW and MDW/DTW but I've actually seen zero seats on ORD/DTW more than once and as a diamond have sat in the back of the bus probably 25 percent of the time on that flight. I think a lot of times though coming back it's people connecting. I wouldn't pay $39 to upgrade on that short of a flight much less $399
And more importantly, these algorithms are beyond unintelligent because the upgrade fee should never fee higher than outright paying for F DTW/ORD, but again, DL's ancillary revenue team isn't exactly best-in-class LOL
Old Oct 12, 2020, 2:46 pm
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
Couple of questions here on FCM and corporate travel, appreciate any answers.

Due to corporate travel policies I see a Y-fare in economy that is cheaper than an S-fare in Comfort+. Which one would result in the lower buy-up to F? Is the S-fare re-ticketed with an MQM bonus, or would it still only get 100% MQM? I believe Y-fare still gets 150% MQM even though it's actually cheaper?
Old Oct 12, 2020, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I don't think any of us can predict what the FCM buy-up would be for your situations... as others have reported there are some wacky pricing being offered lately, and I've seen it as well where it is significantly cheaper to call up and have an agent process/reticket rather than take the upgrade price offered online.

As for your Y fare vs S question, yes Y and B get 150% MQM while the C+ will get normal 100% MQM. Either way, if you buy up to first then you will get 150%
Old Oct 12, 2020, 4:55 pm
VFR

Originally Posted by cfw
Couple of questions here on FCM and corporate travel, appreciate any answers.

Due to corporate travel policies I see a Y-fare in economy that is cheaper than an S-fare in Comfort+. Which one would result in the lower buy-up to F? Is the S-fare re-ticketed with an MQM bonus, or would it still only get 100% MQM? I believe Y-fare still gets 150% MQM even though it's actually cheaper?
Y and B fares still get 150% MQMs, according to the How to Earn Miles page on delta.com.

The buy-ups offered are a black box; I don't know if FT in our collective knowledge has enough data to establish a pattern. I will say that one of the unique parts about Delta's FCM buy-ups when they first came out is that they offered a way to go from Y to F with cash any time after booking for a price other than the difference in fare. My guess is that they have a (machine learning-trained) model that takes into account a number of options, including fare class, to arrive at the dollar value to offer as a buy-up. The question you have to ask then becomes: all other factors being equal, is a customer buying Y fares more likely to buy-up at a higher price than a customer buying S fares?

I cannot remember what the rule is for earning MQMs on re-ticketed fares on a buy-up; I think it's dependent on whether it's day-of-departure or not.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by VFR
Y and B fares still get 150% MQMs, according to the How to Earn Miles page on delta.com.

The buy-ups offered are a black box; I don't know if FT in our collective knowledge has enough data to establish a pattern. I will say that one of the unique parts about Delta's FCM buy-ups when they first came out is that they offered a way to go from Y to F with cash any time after booking for a price other than the difference in fare. My guess is that they have a (machine learning-trained) model that takes into account a number of options, including fare class, to arrive at the dollar value to offer as a buy-up. The question you have to ask then becomes: all other factors being equal, is a customer buying Y fares more likely to buy-up at a higher price than a customer buying S fares?

I cannot remember what the rule is for earning MQMs on re-ticketed fares on a buy-up; I think it's dependent on whether it's day-of-departure or not.
Earnings depend on if ticket needs to be reissued. DoD/T-24 upgrades dont usually involve reticketing, thus no bonus. Before that ticket is normally reissued.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:43 pm
VFR

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Earnings depend on if ticket needs to be reissued. DoD/T-24 upgrades dont usually involve reticketing, thus no bonus. Before that ticket is normally reissued.
I'm a bit surprised that DL hasn't fixed this so that they can market increased MQMs as a benefit to buying an upgrade. Then again, I don't believe FCM currently earns MQDs either.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by VFR
I'm a bit surprised that DL hasn't fixed this so that they can market increased MQMs as a benefit to buying an upgrade. Then again, I don't believe FCM currently earns MQDs either.
How would it not?
Old Oct 12, 2020, 8:18 pm
VFR

Originally Posted by cmd320
How would it not?
I was wrong -- looks like FCM does earn MQDs for the amount of the additional collection. See this post.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by VFR
I was wrong -- looks like FCM does earn MQDs for the amount of the additional collection. See this post.
If you are going the FCM route, the key is to ensure that you make sure that the coach ticket is replaced with a real FC ticket.

I will book the coach fare in order to have the receipt that I will file with my invoice for client reimbursement. Then I have the agent charge me the difference and issue a FC ticket.

If you pay the differential, say on the seat selection page, and if the fertilizer hits the fan and you end up in coach for some reason, the fee you paid for the upgrade to FC is non-refundable (at least, it was pre-Covid).

The key is not to pay for an upgrade, pay for converting the ticket from a coach ticket to a FC ticket.

Plus, I have often found the price differential for an UG at the seat assignment page to be more than the differential on the booking page.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:04 pm
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
If you are going the FCM route, the key is to ensure that you make sure that the coach ticket is replaced with a real FC ticket.

I will book the coach fare in order to have the receipt that I will file with my invoice for client reimbursement. Then I have the agent charge me the difference and issue a FC ticket.

If you pay the differential, say on the seat selection page, and if the fertilizer hits the fan and you end up in coach for some reason, the fee you paid for the upgrade to FC is non-refundable (at least, it was pre-Covid).

The key is not to pay for an upgrade, pay for converting the ticket from a coach ticket to a FC ticket.

Plus, I have often found the price differential for an UG at the seat assignment page to be more than the differential on the booking page.
Great advice. I did exactly this. The FCM offer on the DL website was almost 3x the price of re-issuing the economy ticket.

Cheating on AA hard here, but I do think DL has handled COVID pretty well and so I am willing to take a few test drives. I guess this is exactly what they wanted.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While FCM offer is frequently more than fare diff, it's not always the case (particularly when you have purchased a cheap X/V fare). I believe going the agent route will always result in paying the fare diff (even if FCM offer is less).
AeRoSpaceman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.