Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
$168 one way SEA-RDU. Tempted but maybe not tempted enough.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL PM; MR Titanium & LTT; Hilton Diamond; National Exec Elite
$109 AUS-DTW, I accepted. $349 DTW-TPA. I rejected and later received a comp upgrade at the gate.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by flamingocrazyfl
$109 AUS-DTW, I accepted. $349 DTW-TPA. I rejected and later received a comp upgrade at the gate.
Nice!
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Since I've been hammered with sooooo many $200 DL change fees, I've switched to booking OW F fares, most of which are usually within T-48, and half T-12, of departure.

While this may not be unique, what I'm seeing are surprisingly reasonable F fares on these tickets that I've been buying lately -- and these are on heavy routes like LAX>ATL, DTW>LAX, and JFK>LAX.

Most of these fares, at reasonable times on peak days, like Mon-Thurs, etc, have been in the $700-1,000 range per (again, OW), with most in the $700-800 range almost routinely.

I have a low tolerance for upgrade antics and, at these prices, I'm happy to bring my chances of not sitting in F to zero. I presume I'm just the type of customer DL is looking for with these fares.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Have a leisure SEA<>MKE trip 12/6-12/11. Each way the FCM fare was $127.53 on a $210 total original ticket price (V fare). F is selling for $676 (I fare) so coach + FCM was $221 less than buying F outright, which is something I rarely see. It's 5 hours out and 4 hours back so $127 is pretty reasonable, especially since I can use those extra 1650 MQM (825 each way). I bought it and it put me into Z class. I felt pretty confident about my upgrade chances on this route but that price was too good for such a long flight
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bergamini
Have a leisure SEA<>MKE trip 12/6-12/11. Each way the FCM fare was $127.53 on a $210 total original ticket price (V fare). F is selling for $676 (I fare) so coach + FCM was $221 less than buying F outright, which is something I rarely see. It's 5 hours out and 4 hours back so $127 is pretty reasonable, especially since I can use those extra 1650 MQM (825 each way). I bought it and it put me into Z class. I felt pretty confident about my upgrade chances on this route but that price was too good for such a long flight
That's a good price!
AANYC1981 and strickerj like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
$168 one way SEA-RDU. Tempted but maybe not tempted enough.
I've got the same offer at the moment. Can't decide if it's worth it vs just sticking with row 10 on the A319.

The hilarious part is the first much shorter leg, LAS - SEA is $275.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by Duke787
I've got the same offer at the moment. Can't decide if it's worth it vs just sticking with row 10 on the A319.

The hilarious part is the first much shorter leg, LAS - SEA is $275.
$170 for a OW TransCon? To me, that's a no-brainer.
bergamini, flyerCO and MarkP24 like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:41 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Just got off the phone with Delta. The Upgrade price was $374 from NE to MCO via DTW. The difference in fare was $68 between a "W" and "A" fare basis. The res agent tried to get me to accept the $374 upgrade "FEE". I declined and insisted that I simply wanted to pay the difference in the published fare basis. She finally accepted this request but then added on a $150 Change fee which I declined and requested that it be waived since all I was doing was a same flight upfare change. She then went to a supervisor that agreed to only charge me a half change fee of $75. I thanked her for the willingness to negotiate but insisted that no change fee was due since no flight changes were made and that Delta was getting more money for a higher fare basis. This was again escalated to the supervisor who said to advise me that a no change fee basis only applied to fare changes from Coach fares to First and not Comfort plus "W" fares to first but as a good will they would waive the total change fee this one time. That I should be advised that in the future one has to pay a change fee to upgrade from a "W" fare to a first class fare ??????
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:00 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Just got off the phone with Delta. The Upgrade price was $374 from NE to MCO via DTW. The difference in fare was $68 between a "W" and "A" fare basis. The res agent tried to get me to accept the $374 upgrade "FEE"
I would have HUCA at this point.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Zorak
I would have HUCA at this point.
Agreed. The policy is clear that fee is waived when upgrading to higher cabin on same flights.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:24 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TheHorta
$170 for a OW TransCon? To me, that's a no-brainer.
No question about it!
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I was really hoping for an FCM for an upcoming work trip but no luck yet. There are 5 FC seats in the upgrade list and I'm sure that can change in the next week, but is it more likely DL will give those to diamonds rather than try to sell them?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:11 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Gig103
I was really hoping for an FCM for an upcoming work trip but no luck yet. There are 5 FC seats in the upgrade list and I'm sure that can change in the next week, but is it more likely DL will give those to diamonds rather than try to sell them?
You can always call in and pay the fare differential between what you bought and the current price and they'll waive the change fee (as long as your flights remain the same). Obviously whether this is worth it depends on the differential (and it is sometimes cheaper than the FCM offer even if there is one)
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:16 pm

JFK-SLC

They're offering $506 for JFK- SLC upgrade to F. I think I'm going to hope for a complimentary upgrade as a Platinum, as there are over 15 seats left in F for a midweek flight. Anyone think it's worth waitlisting a RUC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.