Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:39 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by alanstar
YVR-SEA-BOS in September. Upgraded the first leg for 6000 miles. Its only a 1h15m flight, but it seemed worth it to me (plus it ensured that I'd grab one of the four single A seats).
Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but 1h15m is pretty generously padded -- YVR-SEA is 127 miles, sometimes not even half an hour in the air going by FR24. Even including taxi times, 6k miles seems like a lot for that, unless it's also offsetting checked bag fees etc.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
the receipt shows J for DCA-JFK-SEA ... curious to see the MQMs that actually post
At first I thought you were wondering if you would get a D1 full fare MQM bonus, but now I realize that you mean it should show an award fare. That is interesting. I wonder if the way the supervisor ticketed it was incorrect? You will likely know when you try to check in.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador, National Executive Elite
I am normally a no on FCM but I just booked TPA-LAS last week. Today when in my app I upgraded both ways for $272 total and the return is a red eye so it was totally worth it as a GM on that route my upgrade chances are slim
KenTarmac likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
At first I thought you were wondering if you would get a D1 full fare MQM bonus, but now I realize that you mean it should show an award fare. That is interesting. I wonder if the way the supervisor ticketed it was incorrect? You will likely know when you try to check in.
no, I meant “if it will post with 100% bonus” — which it did
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:07 pm

in my experience, if the change is my choice, then they don't have to transfer the upgrade (though they usually try to do so.)
if the change is because of weather, overbooking, etc., they do their absolute best to rebook into First.

makes sense as a paid upgrade to First also gets MQM bonus.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
MSP-CUN on a 739 w/comp on an award ticket, already have seats in row 19. $121 for C+ (5 seats open), $169 for F (11 seats open, not hopeful for a comp upgrade).

​​​​​​Seems like a good buy, only thing holding me back is it's a winter flight and would hate to lose the upgrade due to weather/IROPS (did a lot of searching and all I could find is this would book into RY, so this is my assumption).

Is it possible to upfare an award ticket without change fees? That leg in F would price 15k higher than we paid, but would book into O, correct? I'm guessing I could do this if there's a schedule change.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
DL will typically waive the change fee if you upfare to F **on the same flight(s) you have originally booked**

that said, once they reissue the ticket in a front cabin inventory (which I think include F/J/C/I/D/Z), you will be treated as a paid First Class passenger in the event of IROPS or schedule changes

gelizon, AeRoSpaceman and bloc0102 like this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
LGA to BNA - $99 or 9,300 each way

Used miles to upgrade the first flight, will either pay or use miles on the return as well. Main benefit is the extra MQM.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Just when I though the real silly FCM offers had been fixed, I see that they are back for at least for one of my upcoming flights that I just booked. I’m going MCO-LAX-SJC at the end of the week and noticed that the FCM offer for MCO-LAX was $433 when the UG to a Z fare for all flights is only $245 more than my cheap V fare . Ever since FCM has expanded to what it is now, I have yet to take or seen any offer that was better than the fare difference and it is almost always way more. If I ever want to buy F, I usually just do it when I book, or pay the fare difference right after I book, which I will be doing yet again in this case.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Thanksgiving Flights:

RDU - EWR $63.99
JFK - RDU $339.62

I think we'll be just fine in 5A/5B for the short flights (especially the second one at that price)
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by Duke787
Thanksgiving Flights:

RDU - EWR $63.99
JFK - RDU $339.62

I think we'll be just fine in 5A/5B for the short flights (especially the second one at that price)
I usually see LGA in/out of RDU for about $40 or SkyPesos equivalent, and have taken it a couple times (anticipating bad weather or schedule change). JFK is almost always several hundred dollars. I've seen it go down to about $90 between 3-5 days from departure, just to rocket back up again. My best (blind) guess is that revenue management is much more aggressive with JFK F to protect against IROPS for connecting intl J pax, even though JFK-RDU and v/v is one of the easiest UGs in the system IME.

Row 5 on the 900s/175s is phenomenal on those hour hops. Even better if you can get 5 C/D at the airport, as B sticks out into the aisle and doesn't have underseat storage.
Duke787 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Some values on my flight(s) ATL-SIN in September.

ATL-DTW $162.66
DTW-ICN $2896.15

ICN-DTW $4953.78
DTW-ATL $687.66
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ekozie
I usually see LGA in/out of RDU for about $40 or SkyPesos equivalent, and have taken it a couple times (anticipating bad weather or schedule change). JFK is almost always several hundred dollars. I've seen it go down to about $90 between 3-5 days from departure, just to rocket back up again. My best (blind) guess is that revenue management is much more aggressive with JFK F to protect against IROPS for connecting intl J pax, even though JFK-RDU and v/v is one of the easiest UGs in the system IME.

Row 5 on the 900s/175s is phenomenal on those hour hops. Even better if you can get 5 C/D at the airport, as B sticks out into the aisle and doesn't have underseat storage.
I hate that 5C/D are held for the gate. It's relatively new and most of the time it doesn't go to a wheelchair (which would be legit) and instead goes to someone clearing off the standby list (since C+ clears ahead most of the time on the NYC routes).

Means you have to actually make an effort to board early too so that your bag doesn't get stuck way down the plane if in 5B
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:49 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Duke787
I hate that 5C/D are held for the gate. It's relatively new and most of the time it doesn't go to a wheelchair (which would be legit) and instead goes to someone clearing off the standby list (since C+ clears ahead most of the time on the NYC routes).

Means you have to actually make an effort to board early too so that your bag doesn't get stuck way down the plane if in 5B
I could be misremembering but pretty sure I've been able to get an assignment for a blocked seat (not specifically those seats, it might've been mainline row 10) by calling in, with the explicit warning that I might get booted out of it at the gate if they needed it to accommodate another passenger.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by Zorak
I could be misremembering but pretty sure I've been able to get an assignment for a blocked seat (not specifically those seats, it might've been mainline row 10) by calling in, with the explicit warning that I might get booted out of it at the gate if they needed it to accommodate another passenger.
IME, its YMMV on this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.