Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Baggage Fees and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Fees and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: Delta, American, Qantas, HAL, Starwood,
Thanks!!
Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dovster
If both segments are on a single itinerary and the bags are transferred from one plane to the other then, no, you will not be charged twice.

If you have to retrieve your bags and re-check them, then, yes, you will be charged twice.
How do you get DL metal and UA metal on one PNR?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by mnredfox
I have gotten El Al and Air Dolomiti on one PNR when buying through Orbitz.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:38 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by mnredfox
You have to buy them together. Travel agencies (including the online ones) do it as a matter of course. I believe airlines can do it, too, but have policies against it in most cases.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:30 pm

noob question on bag fees: losing Silver status today...

sorry for the noob question....couldn't find the answer
I'm losing my Silver status today....if I ticket a flight today for next month, will they charge me the bag fees when I check a bag? I'm guessing that they only care about status level on the flight date, not the ticketing date, but pls let me know if that's not right
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
For purposes of things like bag check, it will depend on status as of day of flight. So you'll end up paying bag fees unless you requalify or you have an AmEx card to waive those charges.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by drifter123
sorry for the noob question....couldn't find the answer
I'm losing my Silver status today....if I ticket a flight today for next month, will they charge me the bag fees when I check a bag? I'm guessing that they only care about status level on the flight date, not the ticketing date, but pls let me know if that's not right
Yep you will have to pay the bag fee as will all who loose status tonight.

Unless you get a DL AMEX card
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:45 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Starwood Gold, JetBlue, Marriott Silver, Hilton Honors
posted in another thread:

Good afternoon,

We’re trying to do a better job notifying you in advance when changes are made that could impact your travel. That’s why I’m letting you know that we have an update to the baggage policy which impacts some Silver Medallions.

For Economy Class tickets purchased on or after December 15 for travel that will take place on or after March 1st 2012, Silver Medallions will now be allowed to check one bag (the current policy is two bags) weighing up to 70 lbs at no charge on Delta and Delta connection flights. The reason I said that it will affect “some” Silver Medallions is because Silver Medallion members with a Reserve, Platinum or Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express can still check a second bag for free.

This policy change will only impact those Silver Medallions traveling within or between the US, CA, USVI, or Puerto Rico. This change also affects SkyTeam Elite and Alaska MVP members when traveling on Delta within or between these areas.

Our website will be updated shortly and customers impacted by this change will start seeing this in the future.

While this change may impact some of you, it is still on par with other airlines in the industry. We wanted you to hear from us first.

Thanks,
Michelle, SkyMiles | Delta Social Ambassador
Connect with us at Twitter.com/Delta & Facebook.com/Delta
Old Sep 1, 2012, 6:34 am

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Baggage fees question

I travelled a lot lot lot before the baggage fees were implemented. I travel very little since then.

What happens now when you are onboard and there is not overhead space for your bag and it has to be checked and taken out to be put underneath? Do you still have to pay a baggage fee? Or is this a good work-around to get a checked bag without having to pay for it?
Old Sep 1, 2012, 6:45 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta MM; HH Diamond, Starwood Platinum, ICH Platinum Ambassador, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Delta Hog
I travelled a lot lot lot before the baggage fees were implemented. I travel very little since then.

What happens now when you are onboard and there is not overhead space for your bag and it has to be checked and taken out to be put underneath? Do you still have to pay a baggage fee? Or is this a good work-around to get a checked bag without having to pay for it?
If the staff gate checks your bag, then you do not pay a luggage fee.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 6:50 am

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by donnak
If the staff gate checks your bag, then you do not pay a luggage fee.
Thank you. Are they now more vigilant to make sure all bags brought onboard are within regulation size? So that gate checking is only for reasons of space, not inability to fit in the overhead?

In my memory such regulation was hit-and-miss. Often I was told "you have to check that, too big." But other times not. Once I even brought a large full-size suitcase through security accidentally (long story, intended to check it, but my traveling companion missed it) and had to gate-check it. It still fit through the x-ray machine, though.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 7:14 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Delta Hog
Thank you. Are they now more vigilant to make sure all bags brought onboard are within regulation size? So that gate checking is only for reasons of space, not inability to fit in the overhead?

In my memory such regulation was hit-and-miss. Often I was told "you have to check that, too big." But other times not. Once I even brought a large full-size suitcase through security accidentally (long story, intended to check it, but my traveling companion missed it) and had to gate-check it. It still fit through the x-ray machine, though.
On full flights agents may offer to check your bag for free even before boarding. They will usually make an announcement. They always say that there is no fee for bags that fit in the size size but that if it is too large baggage fees will apply. I have no idea how often that is enforced.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:57 pm

"Our bag fees have changed"?

Does anyone notice the small print in the upper right corner on Delta's homepage?

It says:

Our bag fees have changed. For updates, see baggage and services fees.

I did click the link and checked the baggage fee page, I don't find any changes though..

Anyone?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
What's your Medallion status?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:55 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by guoguo914
Does anyone notice the small print in the upper right corner on Delta's homepage?
The passenger bill of rights legislation which went into effect in 2011/2012 requires US airlines to (among other things) post a notice on the main page of their web site for 90 days (I think) after any change to their baggage fees. They rarely go 90 days without tweaking something, so the practical effect of this particular rule is that that notice is always there and mostly ignored.

One recent change that occurs to me is that Platinums and Diamonds now get 3 70 lb bags in coach on domestic US flights: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...allowance.html

(The legislation also required much clearer, consolidated tables of optional fees and surcharges and the like, which I think is a significant improvement over past practice. It included many other things which can be discussed elsewhere. )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.