Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Baggage Fees and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Fees and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:19 pm

Sorry - should have been more clear. Talking about AA, not American Eagle, for second flight (AA is one of the few carriers who go to LIH directly).
Old Oct 13, 2011, 5:36 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
why not DL?

Originally Posted by aaron_flyer
Sorry - should have been more clear. Talking about AA, not American Eagle, for second flight (AA is one of the few carriers who go to LIH directly).
So does DL. Given that, probably two fees .
Old Oct 13, 2011, 5:41 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
You should be able to check your bags through no problem. However, you might need to give AA your bag numbers (the sticker from your bag tags that DL will give you) and AA might make you pay then. I've only done this to/from international flights so bag charges didn't apply then.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Delta and AA (and American Eagle, too) have an interline baggage agreement. The fees and allowances of the carrier at check in apply between origin and destination. (No, the traveler won't need to retrieve lugagge at LAX and pay more fees to AA.)
Old Oct 15, 2011, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Bag fees???

Am traveling on a BE award ticket in Nov/Dec. Going to FRA and coming back from VIE. My flight from VIE is on Austrian Airlines going VIE-CDG. I guess they have an agreement with Air France? But Austrian Airlines is in the Star Alliance. Anyway, question involves my bag check. I know I'm going to have to check at least a couple of bags coming back because I'm picking up some stuff from a friend in Germany.

My q's are this.
1) Do I need to worry about somehow not getting first class on Austrian since I've read a lot about sometimes other airlines not honoring a first class award ticket (and especially since Ausrian is star alliance)? The reason why I'm concerned is because I want to be able to check the 3 bags without paying any fees.
2) Will the bags have the sky priority tickets on them? The reason why this matters is my connection time in CDG is now 1hr5mins (yikeees!!!!). In all my times to Europe I've managed to avoid CDG (usually do direct from states or connect through AMS). I've heard of the horror stories of CDG and with picking up my baggage I don't want to be waiting around forever for them.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
What segments are on your award? There's no way DL let you redeem Skymiles for a flight on Austrian ... did you purchase that ticket separately? When interlining baggage, you must follow rules of the originating carrier, so it would be the rules delineated on your Austrian ticket.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 8:56 pm

No, it was all through delta.

It says that it's an Air France flight, but it's operated by Austrian. Austrian metal. I thought it was weird when I booked it. When I call, they don't even have access to assign me seats. I know sometimes they say that when the agent is retarded, but I've called and asked about 10 times now (when I'm booking other flights etc.).
Old Oct 15, 2011, 9:00 pm

Well how 'bout that. I'm not familiar with Austrian, but they sure are codeshare partners with AF, yet part of the *A. Regardless, you will have to follow the baggage rules dictated by your Air France ticket on Austrian metal since that is your first leg ... the AF forum would have better answers.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 9:02 pm

arg. thanks for the reply. I'll try the Air France forum. But on second thought. I'm connecting to Delta in CDG ... should I still try Air France?

I actually randomly flew Austrian from BUD to VIE and VIE to YYZ back in March and really enjoyed the airline/service. Just wish it was part of Skyteam.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 9:08 pm

True, but even though you redeemed Delta miles, and your US-bound flight is on DL, the flight that will dictate the bag fees and the placement of priority tags will be an AF/OS codeshare flight, so that's why I think AF or OS forum is best.

Edit: Actually, I looked up the OS site for baggage rules on their aircraft: link

If you combine an Austrian Airlines flight with those of another carrier, please note that this airline's rules will also apply on Austrian flights if operating the longest or most significant part of the journey.
So you may be able to get 3 bags. However, can't really say much about the priority tags since OS doesn't have "Sky Priority/Skyteam Priority" tags
Old Oct 16, 2011, 1:19 am

Programs: Co-Onepass, Delta-Useless Skymiles
Austrian is part of Star alliance..
Old Oct 16, 2011, 8:24 am

Yes, as I stated in my first post, I was aware Austrian is Star Alliance.

The trip was booked completely through delta.dumb on a BE award ticket. The Austrian leg from VIE to CDG is through codeshare with AF (I didn't know that OS and AF were codeshare partners).

Anyway, decided to hassle some delta agents and called the Gold line last night. Never had this happen, but after requesting to talk to a supervisor and being transferred about 5 times, finally someone came on and said that it was indeed odd that I had been booked on OS.

Long story short, apparently everything is legit. The agent said that per OS codeshare agreement I should be able to check in the 3 bags because OS bases its baggage allowance on whichever airline you are flying the longest leg on (in this case it would be DL from CDG-ATL). However, the agent didn't sound too convinced that all would be well and even said that if something happened I could always file a complaint to get reimbursed if I ended up paying!! Haha, with the agent saying that, my hopes of getting through VIE to CDG without a hiccup are very, very small.

Would love to hear if anyone on here has any other experiences traveling on a Star Alliance or One World Alliance carrier through a Sky Team Award ticket and how the trip went.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 9:27 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
As discussed in the Flying Blue forum, your benefits should be honoured.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:36 am

To followup, there was only one charge each way, and the bags made it through via interline agreement.

So having split airlines didn't cause any problems. Of course, the fact that LAX makes you go through security again to get from the DL gates to AA gates is an issue, but oh well.

(and yes, DL also goes into LIH from LAX. Unfortunately, they not only wanted $800 more for DTW->LIH on DL alone (via LAX) than DTW->LAX->LIH via DL+AA, but for the days we needed, they only had 16-hour layovers available if we went all DL.)
Old Oct 25, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Delta and AA (and American Eagle, too) have an interline baggage agreement. The fees and allowances of the carrier at check in apply between origin and destination. (No, the traveler won't need to retrieve lugagge at LAX and pay more fees to AA.)
Generally true, but not always.

Flying HSV-FAI in FC, Delta told me they would collect a 3rd bag fee if I checked 3 bags as AS only allows two free bags for FC passengers. That was checking in on Delta, connecting to AS in Seattle.

I found that mind boggling as my experience has always been what you describe above. And I have absolutely no doubt as to whether the collected fee would be deposited in Atlanta or forwarded to AS.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.