Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Baggage Fees and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Fees and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2014, 12:00 pm

Baggage fees & stopovers?

I have an upcoming flight PVG-SEA-YVR-stopover-YYZ-ATL. PVG-SEA is of course on DL, but SEA-YVR is on AS/QX, and YVR-YYZ is a WS flight (YYZ-ATL is an Expressjet CR9).

As I understand it, coming off a TPAC flight, AS won't charge me for one checked bag. However, I am less sure about getting from YVR to ATL. I know Westjet doesn't charge for the first checked bag, but will I have to pay to check a bag on YYZ-ATL? If so, how will the fee be collected, since I won't see a DL agent or counter until the gate at YYZ?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Bag fees on a long stopover

I bought an economy award ticket for my son ATL-GIG-ATL-EWR, as an economy award (low miles, oh yea) with a five-month stopover in ATL on the return. ATL-GIG-ATL in December 2013 (already flown), ATL-EWR to be flown in May 2014.

The receipt says two free checked bags for all segments. He does plan to check two bags ATL-EWR. Will this likely go through for free with no problem, or should he expect problems with agents at ATL trying to charge fees for first and second bag?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No. The DOT rule is simple and the DL system will display for the counter agent exactly what your son's e-ticket receipt says.

The DOT rule is that the baggage allowance for the first segment, ATL-GIG, applies to the entire itinerary. Thus, the ATL-GIG allowance will apply to his ATL-EWR.

In a worst-case scenario, tell your son not to fight about it, but to pay up (with a CC) and then dispute the charge (and, if he wants -- file a webform complaint with DOT). But, to be frank, it is beyond unlikely that there is a problem.
Old May 21, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: Delta DM .5mm
Codeshare bag fees

I will be traveling from atl-hnl then on to koa using hawaiian air. I used miles for the trip and booked the whole trip through delta. Will I have to pick up my bags in koa and recheck? Or will they go straight through?
Old May 21, 2014, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by rdrink25
I will be traveling from atl-hnl then on to koa using hawaiian air. I used miles for the trip and booked the whole trip through delta. Will I have to pick up my bags in koa and recheck? Or will they go straight through?
I assume your question is about having to pick up in HNL as KOA is your destination. Since it's all on one ticket, they should be able to check through.
Old May 22, 2014, 6:59 am

My situation is a bit different, so I’m curious as well.

All award tickets secured thru Delta. DTW-HNL (via DL metal). Stopover of 3 days. Then, HNL-OGG (via HA metal).

Will I get my customary Delta baggage allowance for the HNL-OGG leg as a Platinum SM member?

Thanks.
Old May 22, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by Auston
My situation is a bit different, so I’m curious as well.

All award tickets secured thru Delta. DTW-HNL (via DL metal). Stopover of 3 days. Then, HNL-OGG (via HA metal).

Will I get my customary Delta baggage allowance for the HNL-OGG leg as a Platinum SM member?

Thanks.
IIRC, you will not get your Medallion baggage allowance on any HA flight, unless the bags are being checked directly through via DL.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Diamond; Marriott LT Titanium; Long live SPG... f MAR
IRROP Bag Fees on Another Carrier

I searched the forum and only found one thread but no resolution in it. I rarely fly with checked bags but last week I had to cart around some equipment with me and had two checked bags. I was booked on DL4581, ORD to MSP, then connecting onto DL2305, MSP to SFO on 6/20. Late at night on 6/19 I got the "your flight is cancelled" message. I was rebooked on AS23 via SEA. I still had to check two bags, so I inquired about a waived bag fee even knowing that AS and DL cut that benefit in May. The agent at the AS desk politely informed me she wasn't able to, so I paid $50 figuring I'd try to sort it out with DL.

I called the DM line, they gave me the 800 number for bag services at DL. They initially offered a $50 DL credit, but those aren't combinable and I have a few already, so I asked if a full refund wasn't possible. They told me they would file an appeal for the refund of the AS fee and I'd hear something in 7 days.

I'm assuming AS won't refund the $50, why would they. Curious if anyone has had this happen since May and what the resolution was? Thanks!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:08 pm

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
Baggage fees for 1st bag in Economy?

Was I just not paying attention?

I'm PM and have Delta Reserve so doesn't affect me directly, but surprised for my friends. That really makes Delta feel more like Spirit than a premium brand. I can understand "revenue enhancements" beyond the first bag, but really? Isn't it reasonable to take a suitcase on any trip?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
You are years out of date on the baggage fee developments. AA implemented a first bag fee in June 2008. Northwest was quick to follow.

http://www.cheapair.com/American_Air...es-news143.htm

http://seattletimes.com/html/travel/...rthwest09.html
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:36 pm

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
Apologies. Like I said, hasn't affected me in a long time.

The "baggage fee update" I saw today on Delta.com on higher fees just caught my eye.

I guess the more significant new development is much fewer free bags for Silvers than Golds and Platinums. They're definitely trying to motivate us to Platinum status.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by BostonGuy
Apologies. Like I said, hasn't affected me in a long time.

The "baggage fee update" I saw today on Delta.com on higher fees just caught my eye.

I guess the more significant new development is much fewer free bags for Silvers than Golds and Platinums. They're definitely trying to motivate us to Platinum status.
Baggage changes for FO and GM came about a couple of years ago.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:21 pm

Will I have to pay baggage fees if I buy through AeroMexico?

I purchased roundtrip economy through Aeomexico from ATL to CUN Mexico. Flights are operated by Delta, not 100% if Delta charges but guessing they do. BUt I do not think Aero does ? SHould I expect to pay ?
Old Jul 17, 2021, 3:44 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Old thread, but I couldn't find a more appropriate place for the comment.

My mom and her friend just checked-in two 50-pound ice chests full of frozen seafood and were not charged anything. The lady that took the ice chests said something like "it was due to paying with miles". It was the friend's deceased husband's account that the miles came from (I won't tell Delta if you don't). Basic Economy SEA-LAS. They even got two seats together in row 16 on a 739.

I told mom that this was a gift and they should have been charged $30 each.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Old thread, but I couldn't find a more appropriate place for the comment.

My mom and her friend just checked-in two 50-pound ice chests full of frozen seafood and were not charged anything. The lady that took the ice chests said something like "it was due to paying with miles". It was the friend's deceased husband's account that the miles came from (I won't tell Delta if you don't). Basic Economy SEA-LAS. They even got two seats together in row 16 on a 739.

I told mom that this was a gift and they should have been charged $30 each.
Does either have status or a DL AMEX card (any flavor)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.