Wiki Posts
Search

Question about people in BE cabin

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2011, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Question about people in BE cabin

Ok, I am just curious here and I know Delta would never publish this..but am interested to hear your thoughts:

For International BE, are most people buying these tickets outright, or is it mostly YBM fare plus SWU, skymiles redemption, or non-revs? Is it truly fragmented or heavily skewed towards one or another?

Are most people who are purchasing BE tickets on their company's dime for work, or simply in a financial position to be able to do so for their own personal trips?

I know this is impossible to know exactly but thought some of you might have some insight.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 8:15 am
Taz

Programs: DL PM
I can only speak for myself. If the flight is long enough to have a BE cabin, I purchase a BE fare. I no longer travel for work so it's all on my own dime.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 8:20 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Gold
I've often wondered the same thing. Here are my personal stats as a data-point:

9 BE equipped flights in my 2+ years of international travel:
4 purchases in Y (client-paid)
3 purchases in Y (personal) - includes one op-up to BE as an FO (BOM - AMS)
2 purchases in J (client paid - I fares)
Old Jun 8, 2011, 8:21 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold, Privium, CBP Global Entry, Delta Reserve AMEX, Delta Reserve Business AMEX
Originally Posted by Taz
I can only speak for myself. If the flight is long enough to have a BE cabin, I purchase a BE fare. I no longer travel for work so it's all on my own dime.
Same for me but try to use swu, but will pay if get good fair. Usually on air France since routinely get better fare out of IAD or JFK.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 8:37 am

I'm sure it varies depending on route but I would imagine that the vast majority are in this group:

purchasing BE tickets on their company's dime for work
Old Jun 8, 2011, 8:42 am

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Up until about 7 or 8 years ago, we would buy an upgradable fare in the 1800 to 2200 range and use our miles to upgrade.

Then the I fares (discounted BE) priced out at a little more than the upgradable fares so we banked our miles and bought the I fares.

We did that for a few years, then the price of the I fare inched up along with our mileage bank so now we buy me either the I or the S fare and use miles for Mr. Marylou. That way, I get to keep my PM status and we both fly up front for 3300 to 4000.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: DL Diamond, MM, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, etc
I would guess that it's definitely BE on the company dime.

There seems to be VERY limited SWU inventory available so you have to first find available inventory and then book your travel schedule accordingly.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 8:56 am

If I am on a paid fare I am generally buying a BE fare. If you plan ahead they are just as cheap as the upgradeable and you are guranteed the seat!

Now, my last two BE flights were on Skymiles.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Are most people who are purchasing BE tickets on their company's dime for work
I suspect that this accounts for the vast majority of J seats occupied system-wide. There might be some markets where this differs, but any market that can't drive paid, corporate BE purchases would have to have some absolutely killer Y loads/yields to last very long.

Myself, I have paid out of pocket for J fares and have paid for M fares several times. I probably purchase into J, through one form or another, on maybe 60-70% of my long-haul trips. Not all of that, however, is on DL.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 9:24 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FLLDL
I'm sure it varies depending on route but I would imagine that the vast majority are in this group:

purchasing BE tickets on their company's dime for work
If by vast you mean >80%, I'm not sure. I'd wager that more than 50% of systemwide transoceanic j traffic (seats actually taken) are people traveling on company business in company paid seats; not sure I'd get to vast, however.

Markets like JFK-lhr are going to be dominated (>80%) by business travelers, but even then, only 10 months of the year (December and august being very light business months on this route).

JFK-nce, on the other hand, is much more of a tourist route. Same with JFK-psa.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 9:24 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP
I buy 7-8 M fares per year and use SWU (100% over last 4 years). Prices are going up for sure but still reasonable, but then again I don't pay for them
Old Jun 8, 2011, 9:35 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Ive only flown true BE once (i say true because i dont count ATL-STT's BE as real BE) from MSP-LHR, got an op-up as a GM, i was flying with a friend and half the BE cabin was empty and he wasnt upgraded with me, while asking about it i got yelled at by the FA because "all these people paid good money for the seats and you should be happy you got one free" after she walked away 3 people around me turned to me, 1 was bumped from his UA coach (i think it was) flight and got put in BE on DL, 2 were other medallions (a GM and PM) who were op-ups also.

Tho thats just my experience id say about 1/3-2/3 are paid BE, rest are non-rev, op-up, SWUs, etc.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
following diveplay's model

in 2010, 8 times seated in BE cabin, on 3 trips with a total of 10 legs with BE cabins.

3 times on BE award tickets (1 trip)
2 times on paid BE (1 trip, I fare PIT-TXL)
2 times on opup (1 trip, total 3 segments, missed one opup, paid class was U)
1 time with a very nice ticket agent who upgraded me (1 trip, 2 segments, paid class was T)

so counting the award ticket I guess I "paid" for BE about half the time.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: DL - Diamond Medallion - 2 Million Miler; Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson GOLD. ParknGo loves me
Agreed it's mostly paid BE fares.

Seems recently SWU upgrades are harder to come by...and discounted business (I) fares are tough as well
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:45 am
Suspended

Who is in BE

Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Ok, I am just curious here and I know Delta would never publish this..but am interested to hear your thoughts:

For International BE, are most people buying these tickets outright, or is it mostly YBM fare plus SWU, skymiles redemption, or non-revs? Is it truly fragmented or heavily skewed towards one or another?

Are most people who are purchasing BE tickets on their company's dime for work, or simply in a financial position to be able to do so for their own personal trips?

I know this is impossible to know exactly but thought some of you might have some insight.
Many companies purchase BE seats for employees. On a few occasions from CDG to the U.S. I have been next to a FedEx or UPS pilot flying out of Europe and is going to the U.S. for R&R. It is in their contract to be up front.

When I do consulting in the Middle East I am always in BE. If they do not agree with that I do not go.

I have had some amazing good luck--helps to be a DM--lately with flights being oversold and I am placed in BE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.