Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award ticket routing rules

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: DL PM; AA EXP
Originally Posted by mtkeller
How are you routing on the outbound? If it's to BGO, as best as I can tell, it must be via CDG, as BGO-AMS-MSP/DTW/BOS/ATL/MEM-MCI all exceed the MPM. However, there's a ticketed point deduction of 600 miles for routing via Paris that's essential to getting this going.

When I look at the routing rule on EF, it gives

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Fare Routing Search:
Departing BGO on 12/01/11 for MCI
Fare basis code MOWNO
Flying DL
Routing via North Atlantic

V FARE BASIS     BK    FARE   TRAVEL-TICKET AP  MINMAX  RTG
  1   MOWNO          MO  2089.00     ----      -    -/  - AT01
PASSENGER TYPE-ADT                 AUTO PRICE-YES              
FROM-BGO TO-MKC    CXR-DL    TVL-01DEC11  RULE-VKRS IPRA/1
FARE BASIS-MOWNO             SPECIAL FARE  DIS-E   VENDOR-ATP
FARE TYPE-ER      OW-ECONOMY RESTRICTED
NOK    11420  CONS  E01APR11 D-INFINITY   FC-MOWNO  FN-     
SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 31MAR11/0835  EXPIRES INFINITY

**** CONSTRUCTED ROUTING BGO-MKC/DL      EF-01APR11 DIS-INDEF
**ADDON ORG      BGO   TARG/1    MILEAGE   MPM
**PUBLISHED  OSL-FWA   TARG/1    MILEAGE   MPM
**ADDON DST      MKC   TARG/1    MILEAGE   MPM

/VIA THE ATLANTIC/ MPM 5108
MILEAGE SYSTEM APPLIES BETWEEN ORIGIN AND DESTINATION
 MILEAGE SYSTEM APPLIES ORIGIN TO DESTINATION
       TICKETED POINT DEDUCTION OF 600 MILES APPLIES
       WHEN TRAVEL IS VIA PAR
This suggests that for some bizarre reason, there's a published routing for OSL-FWA that's being used to construct your MCI-BGO limits. This is clearly absurd, since it leaves almost no valid routings for you. I'd see if they can escalate things and review the full routing rule, not just the MPM, to see if a supervisor or manual issue desk is willing/able to override it.

You mention connection times at MSP and DTW not working out. If they'll let you book the award routing through one of those cities, can you take a stopover somewhere along the way to make the connection work? (For instance, if BGO-AMS is too late for AMS-MSP/DTW, spend the night in AMS and go out the next day, or if your arrival to the US is too late to catch the last MCI flight, spend a night in MSP/DTW. Certainly cheaper than shelling out another 90K miles.)
Outbound is MCI-MSP-AMS-BGO (only KL flies to BGO; no AF flights). Outbound is fine MPM wise (MPM of 5108 and actual Cumulative miles of 5102). Doing various searches, it appears the problem is the return--Using BOS, ATL, or MEM all exceed MPM; only DTW and MSP work. It ends up being a wash b/c the DTW and MSP connections are at "medium" level, so an extra 50K/ticket to get rid of the extra 45K/ticket they're charging me now--so I'd actually be paying more miles to avoid exceed MPM restrictions. I'll try calling again. Thanks much for your input.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by bmh3s
Outbound is MCI-MSP-AMS-BGO (only KL flies to BGO; no AF flights). Outbound is fine MPM wise (MPM of 5108 and actual Cumulative miles of 5102). Doing various searches, it appears the problem is the return--Using BOS, ATL, or MEM all exceed MPM; only DTW and MSP work. It ends up being a wash b/c the DTW and MSP connections are at "medium" level, so an extra 50K/ticket to get rid of the extra 45K/ticket they're charging me now--so I'd actually be paying more miles to avoid exceed MPM restrictions. I'll try calling again. Thanks much for your input.
Interesting. The Great Circle Mapper tells me that MCI-MSP-AMS-BGO is 5122 miles instead of 5102, so things are very, very close on this routing, not nearly the flexibility that an MPM routing usually gives. You might asking them to check the KL version of the routing rule as a means of persuasion. KL still prefers to specify connecting points instead of MPM, and thus they have

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Fare Routing Search:
Departing MCI on 08/01/11 for BGO
Fare basis code THXSRUS
Flying KL
Routing via North Atlantic

V FARE BASIS     BK    FARE   TRAVEL-TICKET AP  MINMAX  RTG
  1   THXSRUS        T R  1076.00     ----     14/3 SU/ 3M AT01
PASSENGER TYPE-ADT                 AUTO PRICE-YES              
FROM-MKC TO-BGO    CXR-KL    TVL-01AUG11  RULE-US3D IPRA/1
FARE BASIS-THXSRUS           SPECIAL FARE  DIS-E   VENDOR-ATP
FARE TYPE-XAT      RT-3RD LEVEL ADVANCE PURCHASE
USD  1076.00  CONS  E10JUN11 D-INFINITY   FC-THXSRUS  FN-     
SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 09JUN11/0248  EXPIRES INFINITY

**** CONSTRUCTED ROUTING MKC-BGO/KL      EF-10JUN11 DIS-INDEF
**ADDON ORG      MKC   TARG/1    PUBLISHED ROUTING 0120
**PUBLISHED  FWA-OSL   TARG/1    PUBLISHED ROUTING 0120
**ADDON DST      BGO   TARG/1    PUBLISHED ROUTING 0120

/VIA THE ATLANTIC/
DOM ROUTE VALIDATION APPLIES WITHIN ORIG/DEST COUNTRIES
 1. MKC-KL/DL-MEM-KL/DL-MSP/CHI/ATL-KL/DL-DTT-KL/DL-YTO/YMQ/
    WAS/NYC/EWR/BOS/BDL/ATL-KL/DL/AF-MAN/LON/CPH/BRU-PAR/AMS-
    KL/AF-BGO
(Officially, same MPM that DL is using, but that routing rule would very much allow BGO-AMS-MEM-MCI.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.