Wiki Posts
Search

Does "cash only" mean "Cash. Only!" ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2011, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, DL 0.8MM
Does "cash only" mean "Cash. Only!" ?

Today on my flight home I was in coach (DM B fare, 3 on the list) in an aisle seat. The lady next to me wanted to use the bathroom and I decided I could use a drink, so I walk back to the galley where the two flight attendants are chatting and they hand me the bottle and a can and say "7 dollars" - I go to hand him my amex and he says they'll only take cash. I was a little surprised as I hadn't seen anyone pay cash for a drink in a very long time, I didn't want to question them as I don't really care, but it seemed really irregular and when I paid with a 10 he made change using his personal wallet.

strange? normal?
Old Apr 29, 2011, 1:13 am

Shena was on board
Old Apr 29, 2011, 1:45 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by td_in_training
Today on my flight home I was in coach (DM B fare, 3 on the list) in an aisle seat. The lady next to me wanted to use the bathroom and I decided I could use a drink, so I walk back to the galley where the two flight attendants are chatting and they hand me the bottle and a can and say "7 dollars" - I go to hand him my amex and he says they'll only take cash. I was a little surprised as I hadn't seen anyone pay cash for a drink in a very long time, I didn't want to question them as I don't really care, but it seemed really irregular and when I paid with a 10 he made change using his personal wallet.

strange? normal?
You don't say if this was a mainline or express flight. If it was express, the FA was being nice by making change, if it was mainline, then the FA is probably robbing Delta blind.

How do I make purchases onboard flights?
For purchases onboard Delta flights, we only accept credit and debit cards. Debit cards must bear a major credit card logo to be valid for acceptance. Cash, ATM cards and gift cards are not accepted. For purchases onboard Delta Connection flights with single class service, only cash is accepted. On Intra-Asia routes and flights between Japan and Hawaii, credit/debit cards or cash are accepted.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 2:00 am

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Maybe the FA was raising bail money for the Delta baggage handlers here at DTW???
Old Apr 29, 2011, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

strange? normal?
Ask for a receipt. No cash transaction on board has been implemented for a while already, cannot recall the dates.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 6:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by redheadtempe33
You don't say if this was a mainline or express flight. If it was express, the FA was being nice by making change, if it was mainline, then the FA is probably robbing Delta blind. [/B]
Based on the statement, "the two flight attendants," I'd assume this was an connection flight (since mainline equipment as at least 3 FAs). As mentioned, cash is whats accepted on connection flights. It is completely normal for FAs to make change with their personal cash.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Plastic only on mainline. Connection carriers used to be cash only, but recently started to change over. Not sure if this is completed yet, but if this is a Connection flight, probably nothing to see here.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 7:31 am

Cashless Cabin? Legal?

While I'm not a frequent purchaser of in-flight products, one dumb question has bugged me for a while (my apologies if it has been asked before).

How can Delta legally have a 'Cashless cabin'?

If I request a beverage / snack and provide cash (USD), don't they by law have to accept the cash as compensation for this transaction?

My reasoning for this is that it explicitly states on every US Dollar Bill...

"This note is legal tender for all debts, public, and private"

One could make an arguement on international flights that this does not apply, but I think for domestic flights it should.

I know it's a very dumb question, but am I off base?
Old Apr 29, 2011, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I have been on Delta connections that only accept cash. If it's a regular delta flight it's plastic only. I think it's absurd and confusing they have these policies and all airlines should be plastic only. It cuts down on fraud, saves the flight attendant the responsibility of handing and keeping track of cash and having to make change if someone doesn't have ones (I used to it on WN when they accepted cash and they were always making announcments when drinks were $4 asking people to ring their FA button if they had change).

When they made the announcement about the service, they usually say they are cashless or if it's a connection they only accept cash.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 7:48 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Diamond; HH - Diamond; Priority Club - Platinum;
OT - Cashless makes me wince

Everytime I hear "Delta is a cashless airline", I always assume that it is a sign of things to come - are they going bankrupt?
Old Apr 29, 2011, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by DTownBrian
While I'm not a frequent purchaser of in-flight products, one dumb question has bugged me for a while (my apologies if it has been asked before).

If I request a beverage / snack and provide cash (USD), don't they by law have to accept the cash as compensation for this transaction?

One could make an arguement on international flights that this does not apply, but I think for domestic flights it should.

There are some places that don't accept cash. I know some property management companies will not accept cash for rent payments. Not sure how they get away with it.

From a passenger standpoint I am glad to see airlines cashless. The FA's get their service done faster and don't have to worry about finding change for customers without correct change. The FA's dont have to worry about accounting for cash at the end of their shift either.

I used to take VIA Rail in canada a lot and they used to sell vouchers that wer elike gift certificates you could use onboard the train for purchases. I think American tried it as well but not sure how succesful it was.

I have always wondered what UM's do since they aren't old enough to have a credit card if they want a snack box or to use the IFE or wifi on board. Do their parents buy them a prepaid mastercard for those purchases??
Old Apr 29, 2011, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by komalkks
Everytime I hear "Delta is a cashless airline", I always assume that it is a sign of things to come - are they going bankrupt?
They've been there and done that already
Old Apr 29, 2011, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, DL 0.8MM
Originally Posted by sxf24
Based on the statement, "the two flight attendants," I'd assume this was an connection flight (since mainline equipment as at least 3 FAs). As mentioned, cash is whats accepted on connection flights. It is completely normal for FAs to make change with their personal cash.
Actually I think this would be considered a 'mainline' flight, DL2019 on an A319. The two flight attendants I interacted with were in the rear galley but a third flight attendant was working the front.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually I think this would be considered a 'mainline' flight, DL2019 on an A319. The two flight attendants I interacted with were in the rear galley but a third flight attendant was working the front.
That should have been a cashless flight.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 8:01 am

Programs: AGR,CO,PC,AA
Originally Posted by DTownBrian

Debts is the key word. Since you don't owe them anything they don't have to take it. If you drink your drink first then you are in debt to them so they have to take it. If you pay first and then drink they can make whatever conditions they want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.