FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does "cash only" mean "Cash. Only!" ?
View Single Post
Old Apr 29, 2011, 7:52 am
jamesteroh
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by DTownBrian
While I'm not a frequent purchaser of in-flight products, one dumb question has bugged me for a while (my apologies if it has been asked before).

How can Delta legally have a 'Cashless cabin'?

If I request a beverage / snack and provide cash (USD), don't they by law have to accept the cash as compensation for this transaction?

My reasoning for this is that it explicitly states on every US Dollar Bill...

"This note is legal tender for all debts, public, and private"

One could make an arguement on international flights that this does not apply, but I think for domestic flights it should.

I know it's a very dumb question, but am I off base?
There are some places that don't accept cash. I know some property management companies will not accept cash for rent payments. Not sure how they get away with it.

From a passenger standpoint I am glad to see airlines cashless. The FA's get their service done faster and don't have to worry about finding change for customers without correct change. The FA's dont have to worry about accounting for cash at the end of their shift either.

I used to take VIA Rail in canada a lot and they used to sell vouchers that wer elike gift certificates you could use onboard the train for purchases. I think American tried it as well but not sure how succesful it was.

I have always wondered what UM's do since they aren't old enough to have a credit card if they want a snack box or to use the IFE or wifi on board. Do their parents buy them a prepaid mastercard for those purchases??