Wiki Posts
Search

MIA-LHR: DL's new service

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2011, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by vatraveler
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

What's the tray table situation? Require special skills to operate. I don't want to look like an idiot in July, when I fly J on 764. :-)
When the lay flats in the 764's were first rolled out, there was a lot of trouble operating the tray tables. It's not that difficult and they have since put "directions" for using the tray table. You'll be fine
Old Apr 21, 2011, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
Has anyone welcomed you to FT? if not, welcome.

Mind if you provide your date of travel?
I flew from MIA-LHR on Saturday, April 2nd.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 3:38 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Has anyone welcomed you to FT? if not, welcome.

Mind if you provide your date of travel?
I welcomed the OP and would really like follow up info on this route

I know the plane / seat in J but certainly with BA and VS (as well as AA) on the route competition is stiff and DL's J product on the ground and in the air (apart from the seat) has to be top notch
Old Apr 21, 2011, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by s1c3r1a1b3b3l1e1
I don't really blame the OP for not following up. There were a lot of people who all but called him a liar. Some people were pretty sarcastic, and one or two were really rude. I generally don't post follow ups after I have been flamed here. I just don't feel a need to defend my opinion to people whose opinions are so set that are willing to be as blunt as they are here. I guess it just goes along with anonymous interactions with strangers.

I'm prepared for the flaming sure to follow....just don't expect a follow up comment from me except to a well-reasoned response either way.

PS I'm not saying whether or not I believe the OP. I have no reason to doubt him, and it sounds possible. However, I am also certainly aware that there are plenty of exaggerations going on.
^
Old Apr 21, 2011, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL Platinum
I guess the OP just happened to fly on a day they brought in a crew from a different base than usually operates that flight. It sounds like the crew is usually squared away, but not on this day. But I also agree that it sounds like the crew did their best.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
OP had the shortest flight so far on MIA to LHR. His flight clocked in at only 8 hrs and 05 minutes. Most flights that do this route are in the high 8's with some over 9 hrs in length.

OP, it looks like you hit some turbulence about 40 min or so into the flight?

Your flight went wheels up at 1835ish hours, You had leveled off at about 35,000 feet at 1905 hours and then dropped down to 33,000 feet at 1910 hours.

maybe thats what caused some of the wine to spill and for the flight attendants to bump into one another?

Also, you started your decent into LHR at 0148 hours EST.

In checking a few other DAL MIA to LHR flights, the average decent time is around 0300 hrs, so it looks like they started their decent a full hour + then what is normally done.

Now that I think of it, I remember flying BE on a ATL to MUC on Delta. They had to rush breakfast because of the faster then normal flight across the pond. I think they started meal service during the decent!

Last edited by DL2SXM; Apr 21, 2011 at 9:58 pm
Old Apr 21, 2011, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA Gold
OP had the shortest flight so far on MIA to LHR. His flight clocked in at only 8 hrs and 05 minutes. Most flights that do this route are in the high 8's with some over 9 hrs in length.

Tailwinds seem to be coincident with turbulence.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by rwoman
When the lay flats in the 764's were first rolled out, there was a lot of trouble operating the tray tables. It's not that difficult and they have since put "directions" for using the tray table. You'll be fine
The FAs had to help a number of passengers stow their tray tables despite the instructions clearly engraved on them. One woman required help multiple times, and then one of the FAs coudn't figure it out, so a second FA was summoned.

As you say, though, it's really not that difficult.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:12 am

Programs: DL Platinum, SPG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by khaden
I'll be on this flight May 13 so will post on my experience in BE both ways.
I too shall be on this flight on May 13 in BE
Hi khaden!
Will report back on this forum.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by levitation
I too shall be on this flight on May 13 in BE
Hi khaden!
Will report back on this forum.
and me on may 6 in BE with May 8 on the turn!

OP, did you deplane from 1L or 2L?
Old Apr 22, 2011, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Slow learner
This story has deeply moved me. I can't even count the number of times I've been sat in 43G next to the Lavs just hoping and praying that everything is going smoothly in BE. I have a recurring nightmare that someone will order asparagus soup and get gazpacho, or find that the Merlot has been switched with a poor substitute Pinot Noir. To find that the FA's didn't know the menu, dropped the bread basket, and finally spilled wine just goes to show - no matter how bad you imagine it could be; the reality is always infinitely worse.

As a consequence of this post I have cancelled my contributions to the Mother Therasa Trust fund and instead have channeled any spare money I have into a research fund looking into the causes of mediocre cabin service.

This is a travesty within an injustice.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Your flight went wheels up at 1835ish hours, You had leveled off at about 35,000 feet at 1905 hours and then dropped down to 33,000 feet at 1910 hours.

maybe thats what caused some of the wine to spill and for the flight attendants to bump into one another?

Also, you started your decent into LHR at 0148 hours EST.

In checking a few other DAL MIA to LHR flights, the average decent time is around 0300 hrs, so it looks like they started their decent a full hour + then what is normally done.

Now that I think of it, I remember flying BE on a ATL to MUC on Delta. They had to rush breakfast because of the faster then normal flight across the pond. I think they started meal service during the decent!
What's your point. That the service was outstanding despite turbulence and a short flight time?
Old Apr 22, 2011, 12:56 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
What's your point. That the service was outstanding despite turbulence and a short flight time?
Snark much?

Mostly, I thought that nypdLieu was providing context!
Old Apr 22, 2011, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by USirritated
Snark much?

Mostly, I thought that nypdLieu was providing context!
I'll agree with his notes about the short flight time.

The comment about alleged turbulence causing the wine spill was a bit disingenuous. IF nypdLieu wanted to defend DL fine, but there have been additional posts on this thread that the FAs on the BOS/MIA-LHR routes are new to BE and are learning on the go.

Hopefully OP (being a MM DL flier) would have the sense not to blame spilled wine from severe turbulence on the FAs.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
and me on may 6 in BE with May 8 on the turn!

OP, did you deplane from 1L or 2L?
LHR is always 2L for the 764

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.