Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Longest upgrade list you've experienced?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longest upgrade list you've experienced?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by LUMRS
Interestingly, only 4-5 of us boarded as non-FC "PREM" zone.
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
This is typical between ATL-DCA-ATL. My flight last week DCA-ATL for a mid-day Wednesday flight was over 60 on the UG list.
Oddly enough, I cleared at the window for tomorrow's DCA-ATL flight tomorrow morning.
This confirms my suspicion as well as the observation of @LUMRS that most of the upgrade list are, in fact, not diamonds. I think it would be very difficult for the average domestic business traveler to rack up 125,000 miles annually, especially if all they're doing is flying to Washington on a weekly basis.

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Easier to get an UG out of DCA at the beginning of the week than on a Thursday or Friday with all of the Congresscritters
leaving town for the weekend.
How many members of Congress are diamond? I've heard my congressman brag about flying Southwest. As I've always read that many of the junkets abroad are taken using military/government aircraft it would seem difficult for the average congressman to rack up diamond status, except through perhaps segments.

Originally Posted by WWads
Watch the House and Senate calendars. First votes in the House next week are scheduled for the evening, so I'd expect the afternoon flights to be packed. Two weeks ago the Friday morning flights were sold-out thanks to the 0530 vote in the House that passed the CR.
Do they still buy the fully refundable airfares? Can members of Congress buy first-class tickets or do they have to buy economy-class?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Yeah... those 3-day work weeks are grueling. They need to get home to recharge.
My guy is home almost every weekend and has coffee hours or a townhall just about every weekend somewhere. Yes, I think Congress could work more, but it's probably a good thing, regardless of political party, that Congress does less than more.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
How many members of Congress are diamond? I've heard my congressman brag about flying Southwest. As I've always read that many of the junkets abroad are taken using military/government aircraft it would seem difficult for the average congressman to rack up diamond status, except through perhaps segments.

Do they still buy the fully refundable airfares? Can members of Congress buy first-class tickets or do they have to buy economy-class?
Many members fly home every weekend, so that's a lot of segments.

From what I've heard, members usually buy YCA fares, which are fully refundable. I think that they can buy first-class tickets if they want, but office travel budgets are not unlimited.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:33 am

So I'm not sure whether this is the right place, but I heard something interesting yesterday. I talked to a DM who said that someone at DL corporate told him that DL factors the number of consecutive years that you've been an elite into your upgrade priority. In other words, a someone who has been a DM for three straight years would have a higher priority than a first-year DM.

Now I know that this is just someone talking, but we've all seen some odd upgrade lists, and DL seems to have intentionally blurred the factors that determine priority. I know that as a PM I've gotten some upgrades lately that I previously would not have gotten (this is my third year as a PM, and my forth as a DL elite).
I was told the same thing maybe five years ago by a phone agent. I was also told by an airport agent shortly after that is was actually a points system around the same time it was a points system. i.e. you would get a points for medallion level, b points for fare class, c points for consecutive years as a medallion, d points for IRROPS, etc. I assumed neither is still in play given the number of rule changes since then and clearer criteria posted for upgrade order and who knows how old the info he had was. At least it provides some confirmation that at least at one point, the information the agents told me may have been true.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

From what I've heard, members usually buy YCA fares, which are fully refundable. I think that they can buy first-class tickets if they want, but office travel budgets are not unlimited.
Don't government employees also get a cheap full Y fare? Not sure if this is still the case but a couple years ago any level elite had top priority as a Y in the pecking order so a FO on a Y fare would trump a diamond on an M or B fare. If that is still the case then a member that is a silver on a full Y fare would trump a diamond on a lower fare even if the diamond paid quite a bit more money for his ticket.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Don't government employees also get a cheap full Y fare? Not sure if this is still the case but a couple years ago any level elite had top priority as a Y in the pecking order so a FO on a Y fare would trump a diamond on an M or B fare. If that is still the case then a member that is a silver on a full Y fare would trump a diamond on a lower fare even if the diamond paid quite a bit more money for his ticket.
YCA fares do look like full-Y fares for upgrade purposes, but last year DL got rid of of the extra priority that those fares used to provide. YCA fares do still trump all other fares, but only within the same/lower medallion level.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:31 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
This confirms my suspicion as well as the observation of @LUMRS that most of the upgrade list are, in fact, not diamonds. I think it would be very difficult for the average domestic business traveler to rack up 125,000 miles annually, especially if all they're doing is flying to Washington on a weekly basis.

I've seen Senator Rubio on the DCA-FLL flight a few times, typically Thursday or Friday evening, on JetBlue and sitting far from the Extra Legroom seats.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by SDQBound
I've seen Senator Rubio on the DCA-FLL flight a few times, typically Thursday or Friday evening, on JetBlue and sitting far from the Extra Legroom seats.
Really though all seats on Jetblue are extra legroom seats when you compare them to DL and other domestic carriers...
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SDQBound
Rubio isn't the tallest person (I've meet him before) and I'm sure he did just fine in the B6 Y seat. I also hear that many Texas congressmen love WN (probably why WN chose AUS as their perimeter exception slot out of DCA) so its not uncommon to see congressmen in Y.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ethernal
Really though all seats on Jetblue are extra legroom seats when you compare them to DL and other domestic carriers...
This is true. B6 Y seats have 34 inch pitch on the A320 an "C+" on DL also has 34 inches of pitch.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 4:11 pm
Suspended

IAD-DTW
24 February
CRJ-700
4 on the upgrade list for 1 first-class seat
Plane went out with 8 comfort-plus seats empty.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM+, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I’m a DM on a paid W fare. I’m Doing atl-phx tonight.
12 hours ahead of flight time I am 8 for 1 seat.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta DM 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond, Hertz PC, Europcar Elite VIP, Accor Gold

When I interned in Congress in the late 1990s, the members all flew to/from DC and their respective home districts for THE SAME PRICE. Congress negotiated specific fares with the airlines, and they were fully-refundable tickets. So, if you were a non-voting delegate from Guam, the Representative from Alaska, or a Representative form New York, you had the same fare to travel to/from DC for official business. Members would book multiple flights on the same day, so they had the flexibility to leave when votes were finished for the week, but most Congressional staffers were not good about cancelling (and receiving refunds) for the flights not taken. There have been GAO reports over the years about all this lost taxpayer money, but I think I only remember seeing executive agency non-refunded tickets, not Congress.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta DM 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond, Hertz PC, Europcar Elite VIP, Accor Gold
[QUOTE=hockeyinsider;29438754]This confirms my suspicion as well as the observation of @LUMRS that most of the upgrade list are, in fact, not diamonds. I think it would be very difficult for the average domestic business traveler to rack up 125,000 miles annually, especially if all they're doing is flying to Washington on a weekly basis.

On Sunday night's last flight from ATL to DCA, there were also about 80 on the FC UG list, and 60 on the C+ list! About 12 main cabin pax boarded with PREM. Booked late, and didn't even get C+ seat. Was in main cabin across the aisle from a 360!
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
[QUOTE=LUMRS;29460736]

On Sunday night's last flight from ATL to DCA, there were also about 80 on the FC UG list, and 60 on the C+ list! About 12 main cabin pax boarded with PREM. Booked late, and didn't even get C+ seat. Was in main cabin across the aisle from a 360!
Not too shocking. A last minute first class ticket on MCO-DCA is only $374.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.