Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Double MQM Speculation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2011, 9:19 am

Programs: DL GM
As nice ase these promos are part of me does not like them because they swell the ranks of the elites. Of course if the promo was offered i'd jump on it!
Old Mar 10, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by avidflyer
I do not disagree but it will NEVER happen..

Delta sees an opportunity to manipulate people to fly literally 10's of thousands of miles they would never have flown to attain status they will never get the full benefit from. It is a no-lose proposition for them. People take trips to Asia JUST to earn status and many people last year booked positioning flights to the promo cities for just about EVERY domestic trip they had to get the status. The problem is, of course, they don't REALLY fly that much normally and thus will not be as much as a drag on the Delta overhead once they are DM.
I agree some people did some crazy things to take advantage of the promos. However, in my case it was pretty legit. I was moving from ATL to LON and needed to get a car full of stuff back to North Dakota. I also needed to fly to SAN. It was $100 cheaper to fly out of BNA than ATL, and BNA was on my drive back to ND. Yeah, the SFO thing was a pure MR, but it was $260 for a same-day turn. I got to be a tourist in the Bay Area for a day, which was nice, and I've also saved enough in baggage fees since making FO to justify the MR. (Taking two heavy bags across the pond is really amazingly useful.)
Old Mar 10, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: Charter Member Delta Diamond Medallion, Lifetime AA Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hilton & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by skchin
DTW is getting slim pickings for MRs
Maybe Delta should consider a promo at nearby distressed airports and cities like FNT.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:48 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Crossing my fingers for something out of MSP i know it will never happen though.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: CO PLT, DL GM, Hertz President Circle, SPG Platinum
You will RARELY if EVER see a DL promotion to an airport where the carrier receives incentives to operate to/from. The reason is that they are guaranteed revenue floors to operate the service, so in essence they would be shooting themselves in the foot. The airport/community are paying the bills.

You may see an airport offer incentives. RFD is the leader in these promotions; but, it will not involve the carrier itself or FF program. It usually involves a rebate of some sort or reduced fares on targeted flights. RFD did a Buy 1 Get 1 Free a few years back on UA. I took my daughter to Singapore

The only place we will see these are in specific competitive markets; i.e STL, RDU, PIT (like last year) where the dominant carrier has shown weakness or pull down of schedule and DL is flashing SKY ZWD as the incentive to switch alliances.

Outside of that, I would be shocked, except MAYBE as a part of a larger market share retention strategy, similar to the NWA push in the Midwest a few years back, where MSN, GRB, MKE for example would be targeted to respond to the F9 growth and when the WN/FL (if) link-up gets rolling.

DL is not nearly as cut-throat and protective as NW was. I am wondering if this is a strategy in response to the LGA/DCA swap review; or, a change in philosophy. DL left the door wide open and WN is blowing up the barn, taking full advantage. NW would have aggressively responded to the MKE build up and ATL/MSP invasion with all sorts of loyalty retention tools; ie. Double EQM, Triple Miles, etc.

Last edited by idriveuride; Mar 10, 2011 at 12:53 pm
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
[QUOTE=idriveuride;16010690]The only place we will see these are in specific competitive markets; i.e STL, RDU, PIT (like last year) where the dominate carrier has shown weekness or pull down of schedule and DL is flashing SKY ZWD as the incentive to switch alliances.QUOTE]

With the potential pull-down of service by CO in CLE... maybe CLE could be a market for a promo.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
I am waiting for double MQM out of MKE, hoping with Southwest and Air Tran increasing service and Frontier expanding, we are due!!!!!!
Old Mar 10, 2011, 2:38 pm

Programs: CO PLT, DL GM, Hertz President Circle, SPG Platinum
Initiating a loyalty retention program at MKE would be one of the smartest decisions DL could do right now.

Don't attack on price which was a mistake made inn the past. They should keep at least a $20-$40 fare premium vs. F9, FL, WN and launch a SKY ZWD incentive; i.e. Double Miles on all competing routes, Double EQM on any new routes announced by competitors, etc.

In the past DL was perhaps complacent and depended on their corporate contract and business incentive departments; but, WN has hands down the best of these departments and will steamroll DL if/when the merger goes through.

I used to think I was special; but, now know I am vanilla as 100,000 other people in the market. With F9 expanding and a combined WN/FL presence, it is becoming hard to ignore them, especially when they are cheaper across the board. I just booked F9 to DEN and look forward to DirecTV on the flight; but, at Double MQM or RDM, I would have still flown DL.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 8:39 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Amex Delta Reserve + Platinum MR. Y, I book.
Originally Posted by avidflyer
I do not disagree but it will NEVER happen..

Delta sees an opportunity to manipulate people to fly literally 10's of thousands of miles they would never have flown to attain status they will never get the full benefit from. It is a no-lose proposition for them. People take trips to Asia JUST to earn status and many people last year booked positioning flights to the promo cities for just about EVERY domestic trip they had to get the status. The problem is, of course, they don't REALLY fly that much normally and thus will not be as much as a drag on the Delta overhead once they are DM.
Hey Avid!, I represent that statement! I went from zero to Diamond from October to Dec last year. This year I'm just enjoying 100% upgrades out of the ATL. It'll all be gone come Feb of next year - but I wanted to taste Diamond ... and its funny. Tastes like chicken. Same as Platinum, Same as Gold. Haven't detected a difference other than the more-frequent upgrades.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 8:44 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Msy! Msy! Msy!
Old Mar 11, 2011, 2:01 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
Originally Posted by lsugolfer
Msy! Msy! Msy!
Second that! Don't see it happening but boy would I like it. And then there'd be all the comments about the airport when FT'ers start positioning to MSY. Hopefully they'd all be in the C concourse and thus limit the impact on the SC in D.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 5:44 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Gold
[QUOTE=bajrbajr;16010742]
Originally Posted by idriveuride
The only place we will see these are in specific competitive markets; i.e STL, RDU, PIT (like last year) where the dominate carrier has shown weekness or pull down of schedule and DL is flashing SKY ZWD as the incentive to switch alliances.QUOTE]

With the potential pull-down of service by CO in CLE... maybe CLE could be a market for a promo.
I hope so. DL still maintains around 20-25 departures ( 1 mainline and mostly CR7 and CR9 service to ATL, CRJs and ERJs to CVG, MEM, MSP, DTW, JFK ) and would love them to expand their presence. UA/CO is slowly dying out here, and I know AA is noticing it and trying to make a move for the traffic ( added service to MIA last year, and upgraded all DFW flights to mainline ).
Old Mar 11, 2011, 7:00 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by idriveuride

DL is not nearly as cut-throat and protective as NW was. I am wondering if this is a strategy in response to the LGA/DCA swap review; or, a change in philosophy. DL left the door wide open and WN is blowing up the barn, taking full advantage. NW would have aggressively responded to the MKE build up and ATL/MSP invasion with all sorts of loyalty retention tools; ie. Double EQM, Triple Miles, etc.
Well after all the yeears of doing that it only slowed it down, and cost them a ton of money. Maybe they figured WN is going to do what thye are going to do and DL can not bleed them dry.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 7:02 am

Programs: DL PM Reserve
[QUOTE=jmertic;16014980]
Originally Posted by bajrbajr
I hope so. DL still maintains around 20-25 departures ( 1 mainline and mostly CR7 and CR9 service to ATL, CRJs and ERJs to CVG, MEM, MSP, DTW, JFK ) and would love them to expand their presence. UA/CO is slowly dying out here, and I know AA is noticing it and trying to make a move for the traffic ( added service to MIA last year, and upgraded all DFW flights to mainline ).
There's a reason for the CLE pull-down by carriers...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...o-census_N.htm
Old Mar 11, 2011, 8:10 am

Programs: DL BA Amex
[QUOTE=ATL787;16015241]
Originally Posted by jmertic

There's a reason for the CLE pull-down by carriers...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...o-census_N.htm
Yes... and the other reason is they have TEN hubs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.