Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Double MQM Speculation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2011, 7:27 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by DDCT
Delta only did targeted double MQM programs this year. I wonder if they are scaling them back.
I certainly hope so. IMHO MQMs should be BIS miles, period, however I know this will never happen. The elite ranks are getting swelled with promos every year.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: DL DM
As an obviously infrequent poster on here, can some of the experts offer a guess as to why CVG never gets any promos?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 8:17 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tadair
As an obviously infrequent poster on here, can some of the experts offer a guess as to why CVG never gets any promos?
Probably because you're a hub captive -- no discount carriers, and DL has most of the operations there. Why do a promotion when they can charge out the wazoo instead?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 8:26 am

Programs: Skyteam
DTW is getting slim pickings for MRs
Old Jan 12, 2011, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Robert Leach
It would be really interesting to see if they picked a couple of stations out in the middle of nowhere for the promo -- say, Kalispell or Tri-Cities (Tennessee).
How about from the Tri-Cities (Kennewick, Richland, Pasco) - PSC.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by DaveNC
Probably because you're a hub captive -- no discount carriers, and DL has most of the operations there. Why do a promotion when they can charge out the wazoo instead?
That's what I figured. So much for rewarding the loyalty huh?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLdweeb
I certainly hope so. IMHO MQMs should be BIS miles, period, however I know this will never happen. The elite ranks are getting swelled with promos every year.
This viewpoint seems selfish to me.

I see nothing particularly virtuous about BIS flying.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
How about a promo that benefits segment qualifiers? I had over 160 segments last year and 124k MQMs. The MQM bonus's did absolutely nothing for me but add a bunch more DMs to my weekly routes.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
As I pointed out during the same time last year, there are more medallions at each level in Jan and Feb than there will be on March 1st. The medallion levels earned back for 2009 flying are valid till the end of Feb 2011. Add to that all that earned status based on 2010 flying. On March 1st, some finite number who did not requalify with 2010 flying will drop a level or drop out completely.

My point is that right now, during this two month period, there are more DMs, PMs etc than we will see for most of the rest of the year. Countering this will be those that have heavy rollover MQMs and will make a new elite level much earlier than they otherwise would have.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 3:19 am

Programs: AA Platinum; WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by RobertS975
As I pointed out during the same time last year, there are more medallions at each level in Jan and Feb than there will be on March 1st. The medallion levels earned back for 2009 flying are valid till the end of Feb 2011. Add to that all that earned status based on 2010 flying. On March 1st, some finite number who did not requalify with 2010 flying will drop a level or drop out completely.

My point is that right now, during this two month period, there are more DMs, PMs etc than we will see for most of the rest of the year. Countering this will be those that have heavy rollover MQMs and will make a new elite level much earlier than they otherwise would have.
Do these double MQM promos usually apply to discounted coach tix as well?
Old Mar 10, 2011, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by hawaii2midtown
Do these double MQM promos usually apply to discounted coach tix as well?
The ones they ran last summer/winter did. I flew in T BNA-ATL-SAN-SLC-BNA and BNA-ATL-SFO-ATL-BNA and got double MQM for the whole thing. If you shelled out for a higher fare class, it doubled what you would earn, so M got 3xMQM (2*1.5).
Old Mar 10, 2011, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller
The ones they ran last summer/winter did. I flew in T BNA-ATL-SAN-SLC-BNA and BNA-ATL-SFO-ATL-BNA and got double MQM for the whole thing. If you shelled out for a higher fare class, it doubled what you would earn, so M got 3xMQM (2*1.5).
.....and we wonder why upgrade lists are 75 people long. There is nothing "elite" earned nor deserved with the above. I hope the DMQM are over forever. Thin the ranks and let the dollar be the final vote for all perks.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by bubbashow
.....and we wonder why upgrade lists are 75 people long. There is nothing "elite" earned nor deserved with the above. I hope the DMQM are over forever. Thin the ranks and let the dollar be the final vote for all perks.
I do not disagree but it will NEVER happen..

Delta sees an opportunity to manipulate people to fly literally 10's of thousands of miles they would never have flown to attain status they will never get the full benefit from. It is a no-lose proposition for them. People take trips to Asia JUST to earn status and many people last year booked positioning flights to the promo cities for just about EVERY domestic trip they had to get the status. The problem is, of course, they don't REALLY fly that much normally and thus will not be as much as a drag on the Delta overhead once they are DM.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 8:28 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
The IAD-DCA-BWI triangle would be a nice target. BWI is a Southwest hub, DCA is a US Air hub, IAD is a a United hub.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by avidflyer
I do not disagree but it will NEVER happen..

Delta sees an opportunity to manipulate people to fly literally 10's of thousands of miles they would never have flown to attain status they will never get the full benefit from. It is a no-lose proposition for them. People take trips to Asia JUST to earn status and many people last year booked positioning flights to the promo cities for just about EVERY domestic trip they had to get the status. The problem is, of course, they don't REALLY fly that much normally and thus will not be as much as a drag on the Delta overhead once they are DM.
^^^

Publicizing benefits you never have to deliver... the path to financial success.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.