Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to "hack" your way to an upgrade on Delta?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it possible to "hack" your way to an upgrade on Delta?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Moebius01
Overall, since this is for a story, I'd think the easier approach would be to hack your way to super-secret mega-elite Triple Black Diamond Executive Key Holder.

And they always get free international upgrades even on award tickets, right?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Lenoreva
I'm doing some research for a story and I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of a computer hacker hacking into Delta's systems and getting an upgrade for themselves. Assuming you had excellent hacking skills, is this even possible? And if possible, what's the likelihood of getting caught?
Given the state of Delta's IT, I wouldn't recommend this for anyone without an advanced degree at a the very least an extensive background in computational archaeology.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:51 am

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
That is correct, although I don't think it would stick if you're were allowed in that seat in the first place. I did use this technique several times to score elite seats on KL when the NW agents couldn't access the KL system. The NW & KL systems worked fine together for making reservations, not so well when it came to selecting seats.
That may be true. I used the method any times to secure bulkheads on the DC-9's and 319/320 well in advance of departure. With that seat in hand, it really didn't make much difference if my upgrade came through on the short intra-Midwest flights.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA - PP
And they always get free international upgrades even on award tickets, right?
At booking time no less...
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:42 pm

As another poster mentioned, you would need access to the back-end/mainframe systems that store the reservation/flight information. Even then, you would have to know how to properly manipulate the data.

Compromising their web site servers would be of little value. The servers communicate with the back-end servers but these point-to-point lines of communication are protected with firewalls and secure TCP/IP connections (e.g., SSL).

You would be better off knowing someone with access to Sabre, Amadeus, or Galileo. I had a friend who was a contractor who worked on one of these systems and was on call in the evenings in case of emergencies. Was over at their house one night and they received a trouble call. A few logins later and there it was, the mainframe terminal for one of the airlines. Jokingly, I asked if they could "flag" a flight of mine for a different meal or for an upgrade, "pretty much" was the answer.

More often than not, systems like these have heavy auditing. That is, if certain data is changed, the old data, along with the who/what/when/where/how is logged in a separate database.

The easier way would be for you to have a Gate/Check-In agent friend upgrade you.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
You would be better off knowing someone with access to Sabre, Amadeus, or Galileo. I had a friend who was a contractor who worked on one of these systems and was on call in the evenings in case of emergencies. Was over at their house one night and they received a trouble call. A few logins later and there it was, the mainframe terminal for one of the airlines. Jokingly, I asked if they could "flag" a flight of mine for a different meal or for an upgrade, "pretty much" was the answer.
Interesting! What kind of contracting is that? Computer programmer?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
Originally Posted by AM-PM-DM
Considering that Deltamatic was developed when Nixon was President and originally ran on hardware which was developed in the Eisenhower area (the first IBM mainframes with transistors instead of vacum tubes), I seriously doubt that there is anyone still alive who would have the necessary skills. They died during Regan's reign.
There is dinosaur in Dilbert that knows how to you COBOL... Forget it, he is too young.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 1:34 pm

Interesting! What kind of contracting is that? Computer programmer?
Correct.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by popppa
I know of someone who was booked/re-booked DIRECTLY into "V" more than 50 days in advance...meaning that someone (probably an inside job) had/has the ability to force an upgrade FAR ahead of the normal Elite window.

Food for thought...

PPP

P.S. (I know what you're thinking...I called B.S. & I demanded proof... & I was shocked to see it with my own eyes)

3P

Any Medallion on a Y ticket can be upgraded to V at booking. 50 days, 100 days, doesn't matter.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Jump
I did know someone (who was a very frequent traveler but new to Delta) who would use Adobe PDF Pro to change their boarding zone on their ticket for the better to ensure they had someplace for their luggage.
Wow... What an a**hole.

I am surprised someone would take such great risks by altering a boarding pass for something so petty.

Last edited by DelrayChris; Jan 6, 2011 at 3:36 pm
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jmvalley
Any Medallion on a Y ticket can be upgraded to V at booking. 50 days, 100 days, doesn't matter.
Nice Try.

Give me a little credit...such an occurance to a Medallion on a full Y ticket would NOT be noteworthy! The person was traveling on a sLUT fare.

Last edited by popppa; Jan 6, 2011 at 3:46 pm Reason: clarity
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
Wow... What an a**hole.

I am surprised someone would take such great risks by altering a boarding pass for something so petty.
I know someone who put SKY PRIORITY on their BP to get the shorter security lines. It seems fairly low risk, because presumably you'd save your unadulterated BP for security checkpoint and actual boarding.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
I know of someone who was booked/re-booked DIRECTLY into "V" more than 50 days in advance...meaning that someone (probably an inside job) had/has the ability to force an upgrade FAR ahead of the normal Elite window.

Food for thought...

PPP

P.S. (I know what you're thinking...I called B.S. & I demanded proof... & I was shocked to see it with my own eyes)
Give me a little credit...such an occurance to a Medallion on a full Y ticket would NOT be noteworthy! The person was traveling on a sLUT fare.
Pretty easy to change U to V with whiteout and a black pen. Easy way to get into the priority line and impress both your friends and the TSA agents.

Originally Posted by BobRoss
I know someone who put SKY PRIORITY on their BP to get the shorter security lines. It seems fairly low risk, because presumably you'd save your unadulterated BP for security checkpoint and actual boarding.
Not necessary at ORD, since no one enforces the elite security line in T2.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Or just save any old boarding pass or luggage tag to wave at the SkyPriority "guards"
Old Jan 6, 2011, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by AM-PM-DM
Considering that Deltamatic was developed when Nixon was President and originally ran on hardware which was developed in the Eisenhower area (the first IBM mainframes with transistors instead of vacum tubes), I seriously doubt that there is anyone still alive who would have the necessary skills. They died during Regan's reign.
Actually, Nixon was Vice-President when the core of the code was developed, originally for AA's Sabre.

Deltamatic itself was operational during LBJ's first full year as President.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.